Eli Jude Wilmore's birth story

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2007 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 27th, 2007, 08:19 AM
Platinum Supermommy
video: http://www.muveemix.com/player.php/60046-1

So Tuesday I woke up and went to work, left at 1:45 to go to my OB appt, I did shut down my computer just in case, but told my manager I may come back to work if there was no progress. I had been 3 cm on the Tuesday before. So...I went to my appt and the dr. saw how swollen my hands and feet were, said my blood pressure was a little high. He did the exam, said I was 3.75 almost 4 cm. He stripped my membranes for the first time, it didn't feel too good. He said "I'm pretty sure we'll see you some time tonight in the hospital...he looked into outer space for a minute, and then said "if you have your bags in the car you can go on over there now and I'll meet you in twenty minutes to break your water. If you're ready to have a baby that is." I lied and said my bags were in the car lol! I called my husband, told him to leave from work and pick up the bags next to the front door at home and come to the hospital, called my mom and my manager, told her I wasn't coming back. I went to admissions, they asked if I needed a wheelchair and I declined, said I was fine to walk up to L&D…they couldn’t believe b/c my feet were so huge. They kept asking if I was having contractions, and I said I still had no idea what a contraction would feel like. I got into my room fairly soon, I guess around 3:00, had my water broke, and laid there leaking in a pool of nastiness for hours. At 5:00 I was 5 centimeters. At 6:30 I got my epidural, the anesthesiologist had NO personality, only my legs were numb but I could still feel everything else. The nurse asked her to “re-inject” and she said she was sure I didn’t feel any pain, just pressure. I was like “whatever, you’re getting paid to make me feel better, this sucks!” I was a little uncomfortable and a lot of people came in the room...my dad, mom, dh, best friend lacey, dh's co-worker and some tramp he picked up at the bar, my aunt and my cousin...the nurse kept shooing them out to check my cervix, change my wet towel, put in a catherer....and as soon as she was finished they would all come back. I was getting a little annoyed and told the nurse I didn't want all these people, one of whom I didn't even know! She asked them all to have a seat in the waiting room except my husband. They were all insulted but they had to get over it. Then I had just dh and my best friend who was going to take pictures.

The dr had said I would probably dilate a cm an hour so the baby should be here by 10:30. He was right! I started pushing at 9:30. They would see I was having a contraction on the monitor and tell me when to push but I seriously didn’t feel like I was “having contractions” as everyone says. I guess I am lucky. My best friend ended up holding one of my legs and dh held the other, the nurse said I was pushing good, but I was a little scared b/c I had ate breakfast and lunch and never had gone to the bathroom all day....I know nurses have seen it all but my dh and my best friend kept looking to see the head and I was a little nervous. Finally the nurse pressed the buzzer and called the dr (frantically) b/c she was holding the baby in place by his ear. The dr came in and I pushed like twice and he was out....it still felt a little weird but then when the placenta came out, I felt this relief and my stomach went flat. It was the greatest feeling, I could have just gone to sleep. They showed my the baby, cleaned him up and then I heard the nurses talking about terminal meconium and something that started with an “n” and I asked what that meant, they said he had meconium at the end but it was okay and that the umbilical cord was wrapped around his neck one time but everything was fine. The dr said I had a 2nd degree tear and he started to stitch me up. I sorta yelled "ouch" that was the first really bad pain i'd felt through the whole thing, when he put the needle in. he said "you can feel that? i thought you had an epidural?!" i told him it never worked, it only made my legs a little numb but that had worn off too. he gave me a local anethesia to do the stitches. (the next day I asked how many, he said "oh, about 347!" then he told me maybe 4 and they'll dissolve.

Then they let everyone back in the room to see him, they all passed him around for 20 minutes and then they took him to the well baby nursery. I pretty much sat up in the delivery bed, my legs were not numb at all anymore so I guess the epidural wasn't really worth the money it cost since it didn’t get to the right spot….even the dr said the anesthesiologist was a rude person. I got in a wheelchair and rode over to my room, saw more visitors. I walked around a lot in the hallways, all the nurses were so impressed that I wasn’t helpless lol. I didn’t need any pain medicine….I didn’t need help to pee or take a shower, I felt great! We stayed until Thursday night because we were waiting for the baby to be circumcised. My mom helped us get all of our stuff back to the house and she will be staying with us for a few days.

I am amazed with birth. It was definitely not a horrible experience, not as hard or painful as I thought it would be. I might even do it again!
July 27th, 2007, 10:15 AM
soaplady's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to soaplady
I'm so glad you had a wonderful experience! I had probs with the epi, too. What's up with that? i'm glad the nurses kicked everyone out so you could relax a little...all those peeps in the room had to be making you crazy! can't wait to see pics! Congratulations!!!!!

My all natural soap and bath products store on Etsy:
http://www.bubblyseahorsesoap.etsy.com

Soaps, Scrubs, lip balms, and more! Find Bubbly Seahorse on FB, too!
July 27th, 2007, 04:02 PM
2bluesandapink's Avatar Addicted to Gymbo!
Send a message via AIM to 2bluesandapink
Wow glad you had such a great delivery!

Want to earn some extra funds for yourself? Try joining Swagbucks. I was totally skeptical about "free money" but I finally joined and I'm glad I did!! PM me for me info or click here to join! No strings attached!
July 29th, 2007, 10:58 AM
LeeG's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What a great birth story! Thanks for sharing and congrats again!!!

July 29th, 2007, 12:21 PM
VoodooGirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to VoodooGirl
I'm glad you had a great experience.

Thanks for sharing.
July 30th, 2007, 04:30 PM
hockeymomto4boys's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Great story and experience!!

July 30th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Lucky you to have an easy delivery! i too felt such relief once the placenta was out, weird how that works. glad everything went so well

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search