We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
My contractions actually started on my due date, Thursday, July 19th in the evening. I remained in the latent phase of labor until Monday, July 23, 2007 when I had a scheduled OB appointment at 9AM. My OB, Dr. Cordes, was surprised that I hadn’t gone into the labor over the weekend given the frequency of my contractions. She gave me an internal exam and then informed me that I was already 4-5 centimeters dilated, 70% effaced, and -2 station, so she sent me to the hospital in “active labor”.
I arrived at the hospital at 9:45AM and checked into my room. My contractions had died off and were only coming about 10 minutes apart at this point, so they gave me pitocin at 10:30AM to get me into a regular contraction pattern. At 11:30AM my OB showed up and broke my water and I was still 4-5 cm dilated and -2 station. I labored until about 3PM when I asked for an epidural and was now a good 5cm dilated. The epidural brought immediate relief and I was pleasantly surprised at how I was still able to feel the lower half of my body and even move my legs around.
At 8:30-9:00PM a resident hooked up an internal monitor to gauge the severity of my contractions per my OB’s orders, as there was some concern about why I was not dilating at a faster rate. After the monitor was in place the resident informed me and my nurse that I was about 7-8cm dilated, but baby was still fairly high at -2. I didn’t pay much attention to how high the baby was and was just excited that I had finally made some progress.
Around 9:30PM my nurse checked me and said that I was completely thinned out and 10 cm. She went out to call my OB and said that she would be back in soon to have me start pushing. The nurse came back about 10 minutes later and had me start pushing, but to her surprise she felt a little bit of my cervix. She seemed a little confused as she hadn’t felt any before when she pronounced me complete. My OB showed up around 10:00PM and confirmed what the nurse had come to find out, that I still had some cervix left and that baby was still high at -2 station, so he had not moved down at all throughout my entire labor. My OB told me that she wanted to see what happened when I pushed, so I pushed through 3 contractions when she told me that every time I pushed my cervix would begin to close up again and that baby was still very high in the birth canal. She seemed concerned because baby had been at -2 station for weeks and my labor did not move him down at all. After a few more pushes and my cervix continuing to close back up (one time I went from 10cm to 7cm) she eventually told me that she didn’t think I was going to deliver my son vaginally. She left the decision up to me to continue pushing for awhile or proceed with a C-section, as the baby was not in any distress, and left the room while I discussed it with my husband. We ultimately decided to proceed with the C-section.
Around 10:45PM I was taken to the L&D operating room and Carter Eli was born at 11:02PM on July 23, 2007. Even though his birth did not go as planned I still feel very blessed to have such a handsome baby boy. I was also very lucky with my recovery from my section, as my incision healed very quickly and I was even discharged from the hospital a day early.
Brooke, mommy to Carter Eli (4) and Lena Jean (2.5)