Edward James ~ Our NICU Miracle

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2007 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 27th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Please excuse all the explanations, I posted this on MySpace as well....

Wow, he is 12 weeks old today....how did that happen??? Our family was finally completed with great joy 3 months ago this evening but we had no idea of the rocky waters ahead.

My OB had been watching me carefully because I have a history of developing pre-eclampsia with my pregnancies (I had it with Della but it didn't get bad until the end). My OB appointments consisted of NST's (Non-Stress Tests) 2x a week but all signs pointed to trouble, Edward was showing signs of distress and my blood pressure and protein in my urine kept getting out of control.

The Friday before Edward was born (June 1st) my OB did a blood draw and 24 hour urine test on me and urgently called me to enforce strict bedrest until the following Monday where she could see me again for another NST.

Upon arriving for my NST, my blood pressure was 160/110 (this was with blood pressure medications) and my face/hands/feet were swollen. Dr. Rice pulled up a chair and said, "Enough is enough, you are going to deliver TONIGHT!"

Shock can't even begin to accurately describe how I felt! I made a ton of phone calls and meanwhile my OB states that she wants me to go to the hospital by ambulance (OMG) but my Mom (coincendencally my parents had come up to Nebraska to help out for a few days while I was suppose to be on strict bedrest) came to get me.

6 hours later Edward was born via c-section at 8:41 pm. He was 7 lbs 2oz and 20 1/2 inches long. I only got to see a quick glimpse of him while they worked on him (he was delivered 5 weeks early). After he was cleaned up Bill brought him to me, he was sooo beautiful but alas they wisked him back to run a few more tests.

Once I was moved to my room I was informed that he was moved into the NICU because he was having trouble breathing. I was placed in a recovery room for 24 hours and placed on a magnesium sulfate drip (to help me from having a stroke because my blood pressure was so high) and there I stayed until 9pm the next night.

Up until they took me to see him (24 hours after I delivered him) I only had pictures to go by, I wasn't even able to touch him which broke my heart. Within 24 hours Edward was place on the CPAP (continuous positive air pressure) machine to help him breathe more effectively.

Those first moments of seeing him were truly frightening, he was hooked up to machines and lots of sounds and buzzers were going off......little did we know of the trouble ahead.

Early that morning (Wednesday, June 5th) the Charge NICU Nurse woke me up at 3:00 a.m. telling me that Edward had become critically ill and was being placed on a ventilator.

My heart broke in a million pieces at once ~ there I was in a hospital bed unable to get out on my own and my precious Son is fighting for his life....then they tell me that I would NOT be able to see him until they could stablize him.

A few hours later when I saw my precious newborn fighting for every breath I prayed to God to save my little boy, nothing in my life mattered more. Edward was on the ventilator for a week and was moved back over to the CPAP machine for another week to assist his breathing and finally graduated to Oxygen for the remainder of his NICU stay.

I had never felt so torn before when I was discharged from the hospital without my baby, going home with empty arms was the worst feeling no Mother should ever have.

Each day (which seemed longer that the first) lead to days where Edward would make a few improvements and then take a few steps back, he was finally fed my breastmilk at 13 days old (which was a big hurdle for him) and finally a few days before he went home I was able to breastfeed him (which took some effort because our other children were a breeze).

26 long days later we were able to bring home our precious bundle, it seemed so surreal to have him home whereas before when I walked by his empty room I would break down into tears.

This experience has taught and given me more patience and understanding of my children, they are more precious to me than ever before. It was such an adjustment having him home whereas before I was going to the hospital 2-3 times a day to see him then coming home to spend time with Colin and Della, I had never felt so torn before.

9 weeks later (he is now 12 weeks old) he couldn't be better!!!! He sleeps through the night and is a chubby little snuggle bug ~ the kids couldn't be happier and our family is finally complete!!!!

August 28th, 2007, 01:33 PM
Tasha2007's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Tasha2007
Amy....WOW. I read updates here and there, but never really knew what you went through. You are a strong woman. I don't even know how I would have handled that. You are amazing.

Edward is a very handsome little man.......He and Liana share a birthday
August 31st, 2007, 01:08 PM
hockeymomto4boys's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow, amazing story Amy, thanks for sharing!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search