We pride ourselves on having the friendliest
and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment
for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers.
If you have any problems registering please drop an email to email@example.com.
Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!
We had been planning a home birth with this pregnancy, but we also had several discussions with the midwife about what would happen if I delivered pre term, mostly because of Eli's early birth. We did really well with this pregnancy up until 33 1/2 weeks when I had a bit of spotting and some mild contractions. We took a visit to L&D where I got a shot of turbutaline to stop the contractions and was put on bed rest until 36 weeks. This seemed to help a lot and the contractions mostly went away for about a week and a half. I woke up on the morning of the 24th (at 35 weeks) with mild cramping and a few stronger contractions. My midwife suggested that we head back up to L&D to get another shot of turbutaline and see if we could hold labor off for another week.
In the L&D exam room the contractions were still not alarmingly strong, but were coming every three minutes. Our nurse ran a test and I was leaking a small amount of amniotic fluid, so at that point there was no stopping labor. The on call doctor didn't get around to seeing us for a few hours and by the time he did I was 9 cm dilated with bulging waters. My midwife had commented just a minute or two before that she was sure that I was still in early labor because I just didn't seem to be sweating enough. Anyhow, when he checked me, my water broke and that instantly put me into hard labor. They wanted me to get to a delivery suite down the hall, so at 9cm dilated the nurse and Damon helped me down the hall and I got to the delivery suite ready to push. My midwife and our nurse were encouraging me to push as soon as I felt like I could because they knew that I really didn't want to end up delivering flat on my back and thought that if the OB made it to the room I wouldn't have much of a choice. Damon was amazing and supported me as I hung off of his shoulders and swayed, I could feel the baby moving down in my pelvis and start to crown. The nurse then wanted me off of the floor, so I climbed up on the bed on my hands and knees and could feel the baby crown a bit further with each contraction. When the head was half way out and I was in between contractions, the OB made it to the room and insisted that I get on my back. I couldn't move and told him so, he asked that I try, and then the next contraction hit and I finished delivering Sasha Mae on my side. She was born at 3:16 in the afternoon, weighs 7lbs. 7oz, is 19 inches long and beautiful.
We were all thrilled that even as a 35 weeker she had no problems with breathing or feeding and latched on right away. My midwife thinks that because I have shorter than average cycles, my body just bakes babies a little more quickly.
Anyhow, our one hang up in the hospital was Sasha's billi reuben levels. She roomed in with me for the two days that I was in the hospital, and when i was released they gave her a private room where I could stay with her and snuggle her with a bili blanket. Unfortunately, her levels continued to rise, and she ended up spending one day in the nursery under the stronger photo therapy lights. The lights combined with my milk coming in helped to flush the bili rueben from her little body and we all came home this morning. I am in awe of my beautiful little girl. Our family is complete.