Introducing Julian Christopher

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2007 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 25th, 2007, 12:34 AM
SagesMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to SagesMommy
I had my baby Saturday Oct 20th at 11:39pm. he weighed 7lbs 8oz.

I went to my regular OB appointment (39 week appt) on Friday afternoon and got my first internal exam. I was dialated to 4 so my OB stripped my membranes. He said That I measured exactly 40 and he'd see me monday likely with a baby already, however if i didn't have a baby by then he told me to call into the hospital and lie, say i was having contractions and he'd break my water when he came to check me and we'd have a baby! Well After my appointment I had major cramps. I'd been losing huge chunks of plug (sorry tmi) for days. and it was pink and brown bloody show so I knew it was just a matter of time before baby made his arrival.

I went to bed Friday night like normal and woke up with cramps still the next morning. I started having contractions every 20 minutes at about 9am but didn't realize they were real contractions because it felt totally different than with Sage. Soon they started to get more intense so I called the hospital to see if i should come in. (I really didn't want to get there and get sent home). They told me to come on in and get checked. Well as we were getting close to the hospital i realized that my contractions had been about 10 minutes apart or a little less for the past hour or so and they were REAL. It was time. I was having this baby ready or not... When I got to L&D they hooked me up to an IV as I hadn't eaten or drank anything all day (bad mommy i know) but i just felt too crappy. I had some orange juice to get baby moving because he was being lazy and my BP seemed low so they wanted to be sure everything was OK. Up until I got there I was still not planning on having the epidural but when I got there and hadn't progressed at all from the day before I started to think I might need it. The pain was getting bad and I'd had no change at all! It is about 4pm at this point on Saturday. At 7pm The doctor came in to check me again and I opted for the epidural on hearing that No, there'd been almost no progress in the 3 hours since i was last checked. I was now at 5 and they wanted to break my water. The anesthesiologist resident came in to do the epi and OH MY GOD. The freezing stuff they use BURNED so bad. It was awful. I screamed so much a doctor popped her head in because she thought I was actually delivering. After the epi was done and 15 minutes went by and I could still feel everything they called the staff anesthesiologist to come help out and check out the problem. The epi appeared to be done correctly and he couldn't figure out what the problem was so he took it out and started again. More burning local freezing, and epi #2. Well this time no matter what he tried the epi would Not go in properly. apparently there was some fluid blocking it. so he decided it would be best to move lower. Moving lower means more chance of complications. Well it took him Maybe 5 minutes and it was in right (after more of the lovely burning local freezing stuff) 10 minutes later I couldn't feel a thing. So now I am froze, and peeing out a tube so the doctor breaks my water. Now I am having contractions 2-3 minutes apart but not making progress still.

At 10:30 I let the nurse know that I can feel my contractions through the epidural and she checks me. I am finally dialated more. I am at 8. Well I decide I should call Michael to come back (I sent him home for a while because He was exhausted and bored and I wasn't making any progress and i wanted him awake when it was time, who knew if it would be 2 hours or 10 hours longer). When I called him to come back he told me that regardless of all the crap going on and the fact that we aren't together romantically he does still love me and never stopped, i can't tell you how good it felt to hear that after so long wondering. He got back to the hospital at 11pm (15 minutes after I called him) Just after he got there the nurse checked me again because I told her I wanted to push I thought but it was hard to tell since I was so numb still. I was dialated fully and it was finally time. after pushing for nearly 40 minutes Julian was born. I didn't tear, I didn't get cut everything was fine. Shortly after he was born Michael told me that he liked the name Christopher. I told him I asked him that one already and he'd said no. He told me that his little cousin Julia (she's 7) thinks we should name the baby Julian. I love it. I love the reason for using it and I love the name. (Later we found out that Julia's middle name is Christina ) I'd thought of it but we have a friend named julian so i didn't think Mike would go for it so didn't suggest it. He says Christopher Julian, I tell him No. I want Julian Christopher. He says maybe then five minutes later agrees. Now our baby has a name.

Sunday goes well with visitors coming and going and me sleeping when I can. Breastfeeding is going great and julian latches like a pro from the start. Monday morning I woke up with a nasty headache. The nurse on duty informed anesthesia just in case it was a spinal headache and they tell her to keep tabs on my pain. Monday afternoon just before discharge time I discover a very itchy rash covering almost ninty percent of my body. we have no idea where the rash came from, I have no known allergies, I had only been taking advil for my back pain and headache but i've taken advil since i was 12 so didn't think that was the cause of the rash. They discharge me and I go home. When I get home I go about normal business eating sleeping etc. Tuesday I wake up in unbearable pain. The headache is so bad I can't move. I am nearly paralized from the pain. Nothing is helping. I can't get out of bed and by 6pm decide i should head to the ER.

I get to the ER and they decided to do a CAT scan of my brain because the pain could be caused by a bleed. well scan is clean so that rules out that. I am not having any psycological symptoms so bacterial menengitis is out. Blood work is clean..no explaination except that its a spinal headache caused by the epidural. Anesthesia comes down to see me and tells me that my options are as follows: go home and wait it out. (yeah right. I can't move and if i do i literally scream in agony not to mention i have 2 children to care for), Get a blood patch done which will solve the problem almost instantly if thats what its caused by (a blood patch for those who don't know is when they repeat the epidural process but instead of injecting medication they inject some of your blood to patch any punctures causing fluid to leak and cause pain), or take some percocets that only have a 50% chance of helping the pain. I opted for the blood patch figuring if it doesn't work they can give me the perks but why risk getting home just to find out the perks don't work and having to go back for the blood patch anyway.

After an hour waiting then the time it took them to prep me I have the blood patch done. The first time the anesthesiologist tries to do it, it wasn't in right so it didn't work, so they take it out and do it AGAIN. When the anesthisiologist does it the second time I tell him that I feel not just pressure but bad PAIN in my lower back, legs and bum. He just keeps on going. I was so mad and so in pain I couldn't even speak i was too busy screaming. That makes 3 epidurals and 2 blood patches..My lower back looks like a pin cusion. Well Now I have to lay on my back completely flat for 2 hours, so I've got pressure on my bruised spine thats been stabbed with no less than 10 needles since Saturday. My head still hurts meaning that the blood patch didn't work. That means all that pain was for NOTHING. Now I am regretting having the epi during labour. This was the exact reason I didn't want one to start but I didn't have the will power knowing there was an alternative to labour pain...I wish I did!

The anesthesiologist comes down to check on me once I am back in the ER waiting to be able to go home and writes me a prescription for the percocets so I can manage the pain. Its now 4am and I've been in the hospital ages. I am officially in more pain than when i left home nothing has worked. they have NO idea whats causing the pain. I've got a prescription I can't pick up until the drug store opens and a newborn and toddler to care for since Mike has work the next day. Well my 2 hour wait is up so i start to get up to go home. I have never felt the sort of pain I felt when I was getting up before in my life. Even Labour and delivery with Sage with No pain killers didn't hurt like that. I felt like someone crushed my skull. I have shooting pain up my back and down my legs.

An ER doctor comes in and checks on me. She sees the rash and asks what its from. I tell her about it and that I don't know. She determines that the headache and rash might be linked and gives me a shot of Benedryl. 20 Minutes later the pain in my head is almost gone, the itching has stopped. I can move, I can walk. Not far, but I can walk. I don't want to scream and cry from the pain. Why is it that every person, every DOCTOR I told about the headache and rash that appeared the same day within hours of eachother didn't link them? I get home finally at 7am and though I can start to feel the pain again from the headache I know that when I get up later I can buy some benedryl and get the percocets (just in case) and I'll be able to cope with teh pain til it goes away. Well I get the benedryl and its not strong enough to get rid of or even dent the headache because its just over the counter dose so I get the percocets too.

At 9pm after being bed ridden all day long, in the ER all night, in the hospital for 2 days before that, I take a percocet. In 20 minutes I am able to sit up, something I have not done since 7am when I went to bed. in 45 minutes I am able to get out of bed and walk around. Within the hour, I'd gotten out of bed, gone pee for the first time today, and made something to eat also for the first time today. Its a most amazing feeling to be without the pain. Now the percocet is slowly wearing off but I won't take another one today. I will take it an hour before Sage normally wakes up so I am OK to get up with him. Julian has his first doctor appointment tomorrow So I'll make sure its already in my system an hour before I have to leave. Oh yeah, Sage didn't have quite the reaction we thought he would, he wasn't jealous, he wasn't curious...He was terrified. He ran away from whoever was holding him. He even hid in the cupboard at one point. It took a lot to get a picture of all the men of the house and he still won't really go near him.

Now if you have gotten this far thanks for reading! Here are some pictures!
Being Weighed:

A Proud Papa:

All bundled up:

My Little Man:

Mom & Baby:

And my fave shot of All!

October 25th, 2007, 01:07 AM
Mega Super Mommy
r

Last edited by meeko; June 18th, 2010 at 03:32 AM.
October 25th, 2007, 04:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Crystal, I am so happy for you. Julian is so handsome and I LOVE his name! I also love the pic of Daddy with his 2 boys!
October 25th, 2007, 04:42 AM
CrystalMay's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
WOOHOO that sounds like HECK!! I am sorry.. But your family is beautiful!!!!
October 25th, 2007, 05:38 AM
fairy9800's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to fairy9800
I'm sorry everything didn't go so well!!! But he is beautiful!!! CONGRATS mama!

October 25th, 2007, 05:43 AM
SPinkD's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to SPinkD
Wow...what a ride...I am so sorry you had to go through all that. He is absolutely beautiful though. Congrats.

Thank you RaspberryBeret for my gorgeous siggy!

October 25th, 2007, 06:24 AM
HighwayDaisy
Aww, you poor thing. I'm so glad it's all over for you! And I'm glad Michael was nice for the time being.
October 25th, 2007, 06:40 AM
ducky516's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Sorry you had such a hard time. Julian is such a cutie though...what beautiful coloring he has too! Welcome home and I hope you start feeling better soon.

Thanks Kara for my awesome siggy!
October 25th, 2007, 06:54 AM
mummy0507
he is just soo cute...
sorry for all the pain-to everything you had 2 go through.. i hope you feel a tone better.. and no headaches soon... poor you.. take care
October 25th, 2007, 07:00 AM
meryrosy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to meryrosy
geez! uve been to hell n backkk...but u got a beautiful boy!congrats mamma!
October 25th, 2007, 07:27 AM
Dragonfly_Belle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Holy Moly, Mommy! That's all so much to deal with! You did an amazing job making a beautiful little boy though!

October 25th, 2007, 07:59 AM
NewMami's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to NewMami
First off, Congratulations!!! Julian Christopher is gorgeous and I love the name . . .

I can't believe your ordeal with the epirdural though. That must have been scary in addition to being painful. Yikes!
I wonder if its cause they gave you 3 of them? I had really bad migraines with my epidural but they didn't sound nearly as bad as yours. (((HUGS))) Glad you're feeling better though.

October 25th, 2007, 08:20 AM
Moldovandish's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am sorry you had to go through all of that and glad you are better now! Julian is so cute!!!!

Baby Caleb - born on Sept. 15, 11.31 pm, 8 lb. 15 oz.
October 25th, 2007, 09:53 AM
KatConto's Avatar Super Mommy
Oh sweety I am so sorry you had to go through all that pain, I pray it eases for you. You have such a sweet looking family I like the pitures of Daddy and his boys, and Momma and her new littl man.
October 25th, 2007, 12:39 PM
Mom2DyJessAva's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
he is sooo adorable!!! congrats!

October 25th, 2007, 01:23 PM
Grateful~Gentle~Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congratulations on your baby boy. I love his name. I love the name Sage too.

Thank you for being so open, honest and detailed about your story. I am really on the fence now about the epidural. NOT just because of what happened to you- as I know that is pretty rare- but if that happened to me I would be in serious trouble. I cannot handle that kind of pain. I'm terrified of that happening!

What was worse, the labor pain or the headache? I get shivers up and down just thinking about the headache.

</div>
October 25th, 2007, 05:17 PM
SagesMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to SagesMommy
quite honestly this time around the labour pain was easier. however my labour pain this time was not so intense. the headache pain was about par with my labour with sage...Its really a tough call!

October 25th, 2007, 07:43 PM
Tamaralynnb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to Tamaralynnb
OMG Crystal, i am so sorry you had to go through all that, Julian is the cutest baby, he just looks so healthy and cuddly, i hope you get better soon

Thank you bokkechick for my fantastic Siggy

October 27th, 2007, 01:12 PM
kclefeb78's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Congrats!

So sorry to hear about all the pain you were/are in. I hope you feel better soon.

November 8th, 2007, 09:07 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What a cutie! Sorry you had to go through such pain after he was born though, that really sucks! Hope you feel better really soon!

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search