Cassidy's Early Entrance

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2007 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 8th, 2007, 09:18 AM
New_England_Girl's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hello, ladies! Sorry it's taken me so long to post this!

Well, my due date was originally November 7th, so I really wasn't expecting an October baby! I had 3 ultrasounds done, and at all of them I measured exactly to the day, so I thought I was pretty safe. But as the time got closer, I started to believe that I wouldn't make it to November, and it turns out I was right.

At my 37 week and 1 day appointment, I was dilated to 2 cm and my midwife was able to stretch me to 3 and strip my membranes. I remember thinking how awesome it was to actually feel cramps after that (I was very ready to be done being pregnant)! Nothing happened for a few days, and I began to get really bummed out, thinking she was going to be late after all. This was silly, because I was still only in my 37th week and it was obvious I wasn't going to last until my due date!

Well, on Monday, October 22, I was fed up. I did four loads of laundry (my washer & dryer are in the basement so I spent all day running up and down), cleaned and vacuumed the entire house, and then spent the afternoon moving furniture in my bedroom. I moved two dressers, end tables, and the bed, and set up the pack 'n play. Still nothing. I remember coming on JM that afternoon and complaining because all my hard work was for nothing.

Jaysen got home at about 5, and he started working on the baby's room. At 6:15, I noticed a substantial trickle and knew I wasn't peeing myself, so I called my mom and asked her about it, and she said, "Well, your water just broke." I was SO excited. I was like, Bring it on! So I called the hospital (wasn't feeling anything at this point), and they said since I tested positive for group B strep, to come in right away since they needed to get me on antibiotics. So away we went. On the way to the hospital I began to have contractions about 5 minutes apart. We got to the hospital at about 7:30pm, and they hooked me up to the monitors and an IV. I got a dose of penicillin that would kill a mule (I HATE being on medication!), and they checked me. I was still at 3.

Fast forward about 7 hours, to about 3 am. So far I've had really mild contractions and Jaysen has been sleeping for about 3 hours out on the waiting room couch. The only bad thing is I've still got the @#*^ IV in and a second dose of penicillin going in. All of a sudden a whopper of a contraction hits, excruciating pain in my back, but the nurse can't see it AT ALL on the contraction monitor! Oh great, I'm going to have back labor. Jaysen comes back in about that time and it was a good thing, because from then on it was nasty. Anyone who's had back labor knows what I mean.

From 3 to 5 am was probably the worst 2 hours of my life. With back labor, the contractions are really intense in your lower back, and the pain subsides but never goes away between them. It got to the point where I couldn't lie down at all through them, and I was puking through every contraction sitting on the birthing ball. I was still committed to going without medication, but as time passed I got so exhausted that all I could do was cry and puke through the contractions, and then just cry between them. The nurse knew better than to mention an epidural, but she did offer to give me a shot of Nubain, just to help me rest before I had to push. Sadly, I agreed. I was at my limit.

The Nubain was wonderful. The contractions were still really intense but I was able to rest between them finally. Jaysen and I started dozing off together between contractions, and waking up together to sort of breathe/moan our way through another one. Within half an hour I had progressed to 6 cm. At 6 am my midwife got there and I was able to get into the birthing tub. That was wonderful. The only thing about the tub was it made the contractions a lot stronger. They were a lot more effective too! In less than two hours in the tub I was fully dilated and REALLY feeling the urge to push. That really scared me as I was already unable to keep from screaming during each contraction. I wondered how much more pushing was going to hurt. But since there wasn't any other way to get out of my predicament, I pushed.

So they got me up out of the tub and onto the bed, where I commenced pushing. We tried the squatting position but I was so tired it was all I could do just to hold onto the bar, let alone push. So she told me to lay back and push while holding onto the back of my thighs. That was exhausting too but at least I could do it. Amazingly, my contractions slowed down to five minutes apart during this stage, probably because I was so tired. Anyway, I was actually able to go to sleep between pushes at this point, even though the Nubain had long since worn off. After 3 exhausting hours of pushing, Cassidy Marie was finally born. Feeling her come out of me was the most amazing feeling I have ever had. It made labor completely worth it! I can honestly say that was the most rewarding 17 hours of my life!

I had torn just a little on the inside, so the midwife put ten or so stitches in me, but I didn't even notice because I was cuddling my daughter! Just after she got done cleaning me up, my lunch arrived, and I had never been so glad to see food in my life! I ate the whole thing in like ten minutes while my parents and in-laws were cuddling the baby. then they moved us to a recovery room and I went to sleep with Cassidy in her bassinet right beside me. I was up and around very quickly after the delivery (I had to pee after all that pushing!) and I felt intense relief the moment after giving birth and I never looked back. My recovery was very quick and I am in absolutely no pain now.

Oh, and in case some of you were wondering (I know we've been over this at some length in other posts), yes I puked and yes I pooped on the table, and no one noticed and it was not embarrassing! It just happens and you don't even worry about it.

Thanks for reading, and sorry it turned out so long!

Married to my best friend for a decade.
Mom to:

Cassidy, 6.5 yrs. Born 10/23/07, 7 pounds 10 ounces, 20 in.

Joel, 4.75 yrs. Born 6/23/09, 9 pounds 12 ounces, 21 in.

Timothy, 2 yrs. Born 3/20/12, 9 pounds 4 ounces, 22.5 in.

November 8th, 2007, 09:32 AM
MamaManna07's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
oh wow awesome story!!! sounds like you did an amazing job sara!!!

*Kara rocks my socks with her siggies*

November 8th, 2007, 10:39 AM
kwestern's Avatar Coolest Mom Ever
YAY - Great job Sarah!! You rock! I couldn't have endured that!!!

Thank you Kara for my siggy!
November 8th, 2007, 11:41 AM
Jennijaznraysmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What a great story!! Great job doing it med free!!!

Thank you Kara!
November 8th, 2007, 03:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
lol about the pooping! what an awesome birth story, you are a strong momma! congrats!

November 8th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Snowpeas
What an amazing experience!!
November 10th, 2007, 06:07 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Congratulations mama! Welcome to the world Cassidy!
November 10th, 2007, 07:57 AM
fairy9800's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to fairy9800
CONGRATS!!!!!!!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search