Kendall Leigh

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2007 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 17th, 2007, 08:16 AM
Veteran
Send a message via Yahoo to Mommab
Kendall Leigh

7lbs 4oz 20.5 inches long

Born 11/12/07 8:12pm

9 years ago on November 12th was the first time Jeremiah and I ever met, so to have our daughters birthday on that day is very precious to us.

We had to be at the hospital at 6am on the 12th to start the induction. We chose to be induced due to the holidays and her possibly being a large baby (which she wasn't). When we got to the hospital I was already 3cm dilated and 90% effaced and she had already dropped to a 0 station so we were progressing nicely before we started the pitocin. I got hooked up to all the monitors and was already having contractions just not consistent She got me all hooked up to the monitors and in bed and then had the IV nurse come in and start the IV. Well of course she started to put it in my left forearm and was literally diggin around for the vein when she realized it wasn't going to work.. ( I have poopy veins thanks to my mommy ) So she then decided to put it in the back of my left hand... DUMB now i couldn't use my hand and it hurt so bad.... this later became a problem when I started to push. around 7:30 I had my first 30 minute round of pitocin and contractions still weren't bad I was talking through them just fine. My Dr came in and said lets get this ball rolling and checked me and i was already at 4cm and 100% effaced and she could feel hair..so she broke my water... wow that was a weird feeling lol... The nurse came in every 30 minutes and was upping my pitocin... I don't remember exact times but I do no that shortly after my pitocin was upped about 4 times i was starting to have some pretty strong contractions... i was almost dilated to 5cm before we discussed a epidural. The nurse came in and said if you want one go ahead and tell me and ill let them know... i agreed as i had to concentrate and breathe through the contractions. I was focusing on the sprinkler on the ceiling and breathing through them... i wasn't paying attention to anyone in the room lol... the nurse came in and told me it would be about 30 minutes before i could get my epi... she suggested that i use some sort of pain med to get me through because 30 minutes with contractions every 2 minutes that lasted a minute seemed like a eternity... i agreed to the pain med... she came in and gave me a shot of Nubain.... ewwww I did not like that stuff at all.. i was so dizzy and just retarted... It did help take the edge off but I thought i was going to blow chunks everywhere (which i didn't) ... about 10 minutes after the nubain the antistesioligst came in with the epi.... crap now i have to set up and i can hardly lay down im so dizzy... the nurst coached me to breath through the dizziness and it should pass... well it kinda helped until i had to sit up...i kept my eyes closed because it seemed to help and leaned on the nurse so they could give me the epi... I felt bad because my kick ##### nurse had just had back surgery in july and wasn't supposed to be lifting anything or bending over and here i was all leaning on her with a lot of dead weight. The epi wasn't that bad except for the numbing meds.... I jumped when she gave me that shot.. you don't realize how sensitive you back really is....once i was numb she started the epi.. it didn't hurt just pressure then I ended up having a contraction right in the middle of this when she is like DONT MOVE yea ok.. easier said then done but i didn't. Once she was done they laid me back down and I could open my eyes and still was spinning a little bit and they said we are starting the pitocin and you will feel cold down your back and then a back cramp.. that was weird...but then about 10 minutes later my legs got hot and my contractions were getting shorter... still hurt but not as long. When the epi lady was gone I looked at my mom and my mother in law and Jeremiah (since they were the only ones that could stay in the room) and they were all three crying.. Guess it looked pretty scary shoving that huge needle in my back... finally my legs were numb but i could still move them... it was so strange lol.. but i was having contractions every 2 minutes and couldn't feel them thank god and the nubain had wore off.. so were sat around and cracked jokes and just laughed.. the nurse thought i was a hoot because i kept cracking jokes at different stuff. she checked me shortly there after and i was dilated to 6cm and kept saying she felt hair we started to get excited then!!! Family and friends were showing up throughout the day and i remember that briefly... i was pretty doped up it felt like... well about 5:00pm she checked me again and i was at 8cm..... I remember my mom going out to the waiting room and telling everyone... well there was another girl there in labor and was stuck at 8cm for almost half a day and ended up doing a c-section on her...i remember them telling me she was at 8cm when i was at like 4cm and i called her a ##### jokingly not knowing she would need a c-section... at 6:30pm they came in and checked me again and i was still at 8cm... the nurse informed me that since i hadn't progressed that they were talking c-section... i started to panic.. i was terrified of a c-section for the simply fact of major surgery and recovery time and taking care of a newborn and having a husband in a wheelchair. so Jeremiah and I sat and prayed that everything would work out.... I asked the nurse to up my pitocin to see if that would help... i was up to the max on the pitocin and by this time my epi had wore off on the right side from them turning me on my sides to see if it would help dilate me... so i was in some pain.... but wanted to do this vaginally so i was up for anything.... the nurse told me my DR would be in at 7:00pm and if no progress we would do a c-section... well i asked the nurse to check me about 6:45 i was feeling a lot of pressure.... and i was at a 9!!!!!!!!! I asked for a little more epi since i was in so much pain....which helped for a little bit.... my DR cam in at 7:00pm and checked me and said i was complete with a little lip of cervix still on one side but she could push it out of the way... then things started rolling... it was time to start pushing.... well guess what... i started pushing at 7:ish... and about 15 minutes later I could feel everything on the right side again... which was ok cause thats when i got the hang of pushing... kinda hard to do when you are completely numb!.... I could tell her when i was having a contractions plus she could feel them to with her fingers in my whoo haa... after a hour of pushing.... I looked up at my dr (cause my eyes were closed i was focusing on breathing through the pain) i seen a splatter of blood on her face mask and heard.. stop pushing wait... her head was out and she came out superman style with her right hand coming out with her head.... her cord was wrapped around her right arm and she was suctioning her nose and mouth and undoing the cord.... half of a push and the rest of her came out.... it was the best experience of my life...even through the pain...it was all worth it... every mom says once they lay your child on your chest you forget all the pain.. it is soooooo true... they put her on my chest and she whimpered once... and they whipped her off and then took her to the warmer to wipe her down more and put a little bit of oxygen on her for like 5 seconds... she just wasn;t a crier.. they tapped her foot a few times and she could cry and then stop.... i kept asking if she was ok... and they kept saying yes... they put her back on my chest.. and i got to hold her while i was delivering the placenta... which i didnt even care or notice what was going on....i remember her saying i was delivering the placenta and Jeremiah saying mmm yumm...and her saying she was stitching me up.. i had a second degree tear... everyone kept asking in the waiting room how much she weighed and they hadn't weighed her yet because i was still staring at her so i let them take her and weigh her.... proud papa got to go and tell everyone in the waiting room while they finished cleaning me up... I didn't cry, cuss, scream nothing throughout my whole labor process.... until they went to take the tape off my back where the epi was and i said oh Sh!*! LOL I got to breast feed before family came in to see her and she latched right on.. it was great i thought i would freak out over breastfeeding and feeling abnormal but it wasn't like that at all...

Family came in and got to see her and hold her and i rested for a little bit... by this time i had been up for almost 24 hours and no food... everyone left and mom went and got us some food.. which i just picked at.. they took her for her bath while we ate.. but Jeremiah could wait ne longer... he went and tracked her down and watched the end of her bath.... then we finally got moved to the post partum side...

This was the best experience of my life... I think Jeremiah thinks the same thing.. and I would do it all over again... (but at least 4 years from now lol).

November 17th, 2007, 09:06 AM
Jennijaznraysmom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What a good experience!! It's true too once you get that baby you forget all pain, vaginal or c-section, it's all worth it!!

Thank you Kara!
November 17th, 2007, 11:47 AM
Snowpeas
Congratulations
November 17th, 2007, 06:12 PM
fairy9800's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to fairy9800
CONGRATS!!!!!!!

November 18th, 2007, 05:16 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
she is beautiful, congrats!