Aidan Evelyn

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2007 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 10th, 2007, 07:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to SFOTraveler
Well, this is long overdue!

I went to bed Monday, Nov 5 feeling pretty crampy but nothing out of the ordinary. At around 2:15AM, I woke up to go to the restroom and immediately knew what I saw was my mucus plug. I have never been so excited to see something so disgusting in my life!!!
I got back in bed, and the cramps started getting slightly more uncomfortable, so I woke Roger up, and told him "I think Aidan has chosen her birthday." Half awake, he asked "when?" and I said "Today. Make sure your phone is on you today because I might be calling you." That sure woke him up!!!!
I tried my best to sleep but discomfort and excitement kept me up. I knew I wanted to shower and do my hair and makeup before we went to the hospital, but I also needed to rest, so I tried my best to snooze, and Roger shot out of bed, showered, packed, and wanted us in the car by like 3AM!
I had the sense to wait a bit, and got up and out of bed at 4AM. I started timing my contractions, as they were getting stronger, and they were coming really close together, anywhere from 2-4 minutes apart, but they were only 45 seconds or so long. I used Contraction Master, an online program to time them, which is really a neat thing.
At 6AM we headed to the hospital because the pain was getting stronger and I knew for sure, this was the real deal.
I got to L&D and the nurses remembered me from the previous Friday when I had gone in. One nurse jokingly told us that if this was another false alarm, we'd have to change the sheets! Either way, they ushered us into a big L&D suite. I was prepared to lie about how bad it hurt when I had a contraction because I had heard so many stories of people getting sent home, but at that point, they really did start getting painful.
My aunt, and 2 girlfriends had arrived at the hospital shortly after we did and everyone was really excited.
Well, they checked me and I was still only 1.5 so technically I couldnt even be admitted at that point. The nurse told me to walk around for 2 hours, come back, and we'd see how things were going.
We started up and down the stairs, and I swear my contractions got more and more painful every floor I hiked up and anddown. At one point we were on a janitorial floor and the smell of the cleaning solution had me running as fast as a 9mo pregnant woman could for a garbage bin to barf in. And barf I did. So we headed back to floor 3, and when I got there, I had a REALLY bad contraction just as we were passing the on call OB. She remembered me from Friday also and told them to check me. It was around 8:40AM.
They checked me and I was 3cm at that point so I was allowed to offically be admitted. Yay! Well Yay no. The contractions were SO painful. They tried the birthball, but every time I sat down it was even MORE painful. And the birthing bar... dumbest invention ever. Eventually I just leaned on Roger and moaned and cried. They decided that I could have my epidural, but since the anesthesiologist was finishing up a C section, they gave me some Fenergan to hold me off for a bit. It took the edge off slightly but I could totally feel contractions and it made me drowsy. My mom arrived shortly after I got the shot and was horrified when I told her about it prior to her arrival. I told her this was her warning and if she was going to be giving her 2 cents I would kick her out of the room. She hung up on me.
Oh yeah, sometime around this, I was barfing like a champ. I am amazed Roger didn't get sick from watching me get sick.
About an hour later, the anesthesiologist came in with my epi. OMG HEAVEN! Once I had that I was great.
Well.... until Aidan's heartrate dropped. Each contraction that came it would drop and they tried moving me around to see if it would help. I was only allowed to be on my right side, which made the epi drain funny. And since her heartrate was dipping, they turned off the epi (I learned this later on). At one point the team rushed in, ready to do an emergency C-section, but a nurse was able to stabilize her and they decided to see how my labor went naturally.
Well, as the epi was wearing off, I started to feel a lot of pressure. My nurse was cracking up when I told her that it "feels like she is going to jump out of my butt!". They told me that it was good because I could feel when to push. Little did I know, that is an awful feeling. My moans from pressure soon became from pain and things went from bad to worse. I was hollering for the anesthesiologist. Again, she was with a C section so I had to wait. But my body had progressed well and I was at 10 shortly. So the midwife told me that it was time to push. And I cried!!! I had totally forgotten about that part and it scared the hellout of me.
They were trying to calm me down, but again, Aidan wasn't doing well so they told me that I needed to get her out so START PUSHING! I pushed for 2 hours and just could not do it. I was exhausted. And I had developed a fever.
The result was a trip to the OR. Now keep in mind that during the pushing and on the way to the OR I was SCREAMING for the anesthesiologist. She finally arrived in the OR and gave me a huge dose of the epi, but it takes like 10 mins to kick in, so I am screaming "ITS NOT WORKINGGGGGGG". I thought they were going to cut me without the epi working. And plus it hurt like hell.
Before doing a C section, my OB decided to try the vaccuum. Again I freaked because I thought I was getting an episiotomy. Nope, once they got me on the table in the stirrups, they did half a vaccuum pump, and I half pushed, and out came Aidan! She didn't cry right way, which didn't worry me because she let out a whimper. Roger was there with me, in his scrubs and he was taking pics.
This is where things get crazy. Apparently there was meconium from Aidan pooping, but no sign of it during my labor. So I wasn't able to get the antibiotics they'd normally give. Aidan had ingested some of the fluid so she had respiratory problems and they had to take her to the NICU. Roger had a chance to show her to me, but I couldnt touch her or anything... they just whisked her away.
After she was born, my giant epidural kicked in, so as you could imagine I was loving life. The only thing that was bad was that I was freezing... and then it went to sweating from my fever. But I barely tore, and I was so excited to have my baby! Plus I had so many visitors even in the waiting room!
Because she was in the NICU we couldn't breastfeed right away, and I didn't see her until about 5 hrs after she was born.
She ended up staying in the NICU for 4 days due to monitoring and they thought she had kidney problems. Turns out she is a fighter and we went home on Saturday. I was breastfeeding with a nipple shield and it was SO stressful but Aidan was doing well with it.
I think the NICU nurses were sick of us.... we had on average 5 visitors a day plus us visiting her in her little holding cell. They were SO incredibly nice to us though.
Anyway I could go on forever, but I love my gorgeous baby girl more than anything in the world.

Thanks cavewoman!
December 11th, 2007, 05:19 AM
fairy9800's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to fairy9800
WOW what an experience!! I'm glad everything turned out ok. CONGRATS!!!!

December 12th, 2007, 05:36 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
thanks for sharing, that was quite a birth story! congrats!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search