Joel's Introduction

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2007 Birth Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 13th, 2008, 01:18 PM
JennO's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It has been nearly 8 months since Joel first entered this world. I remember it like yesterday! OK, well, I remember it like yesterday IF I had slept well. Amazing what lack of sleep does to the brain. Anyway, here is the story of Joel...

The entire pregnancy went quite well. It was completely opposite of my first pregnancy. I gained lots of weight when I only gained 12 lbs before. I didn't end up on bedrest as I did with my first at 30 weeks. It was so different. I made it all the way to 39 weeks and still no baby! So, the doctor decided to induce. I went VERY quick with my daughter and the doctor was nervous that I would go quicker this time and not have any time to get meds for strep B. So, an induction it was. My DH and I arrived at the hospital at 6 am. I sent my DH to get our dog from our house before 7 am and bring him to the kennel. His parents were watching my DD but our dog can be a bit of a PITA (pain in the *****) and I felt like we could not leave him with his parents. The kennel did not open until 7 am and had been closed Sunday so we needed to bring him now! DH was SO worried that he was going to miss something!!! Around 7 am, the nurse started the antibiotics for strep B. I think getting that IV was the most painful part!!! The nurse was ending her shift and could leave after she got my IV in. She was actually pretty good at it! At 8:15 am the doctor was in and broke my water. I was already dialated to 2 cm when I came in. At 8:30, they started the pitocen. And we sat.... We turned the TV on and watched Ellen. She had a few of the stars on from Dancing with the Stars. I was nearly sleeping. A little after 9 am the nurses FLEW into the room and started yelling at me to roll over, now the other way and put an oxygen mask on. Apparently, my contractions were one on top of the next and Joel didn't like that! They called the doctor and even started gowning up for a c-section! I was SCARED OUT OF MY MIND!!! I didn't cry, but breathing was hard. I was scared to death that something was happening to Joel. His heart rate decreased for 9 minutes. The doctor said that he was doing fine until my contractions started being so quick. They had stopped the pitocin and gave me a shot of terbutaline to stop the contractions. I was just so scared. DH was scared as well and didn't know what to do. Here, they decided to NOT do a c-section as Joel rebounded well and had not shown any signs of distress up until that point. So they stopped the induction for a few hours. They just wanted to give Joel and my body time to recover before trying again. DH ws just surprised that I was having those strong contractions in rapid succession and I was practically sleeping through them. LOL The doctor checked me and I was still at 2 cm.

Around 11 am, they started the pitocen again. This time, they barely gave me any of the drug since I overreacted to the standard dose. Every 30 minutes they increased the dose slightly. Still less than average. The doctor checked me at 12:30 and I was 3 whooping cm. Ug!!! At 2:30 pm, I started to cry. Just out of the blue. I felt so sick. I thought I was going to throw up. I honestly don't know why I cried! I think I was so scared. I thought I would have Joel so quick, afterall, my previous labor was less than 2 hrs. I had been there for almost 9 hours and didn't have a baby yet! I also did not have an epidural before and I was worried that I would need one this time. I was starting to feel the contractions and still had so far to go. If it was going to be another 9 hours, I had no idea how I was going to do it! So, I asked for the epidural. I figured we may as well get it over with. I had brain surgery 8 years prior and got meningitis as a side effect. I had several "lumbar punctures" AKA spinal taps and remember how painful they were. I figured an epidural felt the same way! So, at 2:45 the nurse checked me to see how far along I was and I was at 4 cm. I couldn't believe it was only 4 cm! The epi guy came in to interview me and give me all the warnings... then he left to call my dr. and ask her about my previous brain surgery. I have a VP shunt which is a tube that goes from my brain to belly to drain spinal fluid. So, he was worried about that. Anyway, at that time DH and I were alone in the room. He was holding my hand and rubbing my back as the contractions did hurt at this point. We were only alone for a minute when I told DH to call the nurse, Joel was coming. He didn't believe me, but called the nurse. As soon as she entered, I said he was coming... so she checked and I was complete!!! 6 MINUTES had passed and I had gone from 4 cm to 10 cm. At least I didn't have to worry about that epi! When I hit the button to call the nurse, I said "The baby is coming." Because of that, everyone came running. They called the doctor and she was there pretty quick. I pushed once to get Joel's head out and the doctor said "Wait a minute, we don't birth bald babies here!" LOL Joel was out in 2 pushes and quite bald! They held him up to show me and I couldn't see him! LOL!! I had taken my glasses off and never put them back on. In fact, I don't think I even opened my eyes after the nurse said I was complete! But someone handed me my glasses and my baby boy.

I cannot believe the difference between this experience and my first baby. My DD arrived after being at the hospital for 40 minutes and was taken soon after delivery because she had low blood sugar, low birth weight and difficulty keeping her temperature. After delivery we saw her for maybe 15 minutes before she was taken to the high care nursery and stayed there until 3 hrs before we were discharged. With Joel, he was put on my belly and wrapped in a blanket for a good 20 minutes before they took him next to me to be weighed and all that. Then he was wrapped up and given right back to me. Everyone left and DH and I held Joel for probably 2 hrs before they came back in to move me to a different room and take Joel to the nursery to give him a bath. I couldn't believe the difference! DH and I were always asking when they were going to take him. It was awesome to have him so much! And then he stayed in the room with me. I was shocked at how different it was... and he was right there all the time instead of walking to the nursery, ringing the buzzer to get in, washing hands and then being too nervous to touch because of the wires. Anyway, DD is fine and had no lasting issues. Joel is almost 8 months now and such a love!!!

7 months

February 14th, 2008, 08:20 PM
SusieQ2's Avatar Jersey Girl
Wow Jenn that was definitely a much different experience. I can't believe you progressed so slowly and then so rapidly at the end like that. It's crazy the things our bodies do. I'm glad in the end you had a better experience this time. Joel is beautiful!

February 14th, 2008, 10:51 PM
BraydensMama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to BraydensMama Send a message via Yahoo to BraydensMama
What a great story! Thank you for sharing! I'm sorry you started crying though. I remember getting very scared when they were wheeling me into the O.R. It all became very real to me, and I just wanted him to stay inside me where he was safe. I'm glad everything went well. He sure is adorable.
February 15th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Quote:
Wow Jenn that was definitely a much different experience. I can't believe you progressed so slowly and then so rapidly at the end like that. It's crazy the things our bodies do. I'm glad in the end you had a better experience this time. Joel is beautiful![/b]
I forgot to mention that the dose of pictocen was LOWER at delivery than the dose I had when his heart rate went down so much... I was quite sensitive to the meds I guess. So, I guess once the meds were really started, I went pretty quick. I did not feel much "pain" until about 30 min before he was born. That was the scary part with my DD... my water broke when I was sleeping... I seriously had no pain for quite a while... but when it started, OMG! We BARELY made it to the hospital. I was filling out the paperwork for admission standing up when I had a bad contraction. Then they decided I should lay down. When they checked me, I was 8 cm.... Anyway, I guess I birth babies pretty easily! LOL!!
JennO

April 21st, 2008, 12:42 PM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
When they start doing the oxygen stuff isn't that terrifying? I was freaking out that they didn't talk to me for even a second before they put it on me...glad all ended up well.

April 27th, 2008, 12:48 PM
Quote:
When they start doing the oxygen stuff isn't that terrifying? I was freaking out that they didn't talk to me for even a second before they put it on me...glad all ended up well.[/b]
VERY scary! After all was OK again, the head nurse sat on the bed and talked to me about what happened. I was impressed! Basically, she said that when the baby's heart rate drops like that, the nurses are not even thinking about the mom. They want to make sure the baby is OK. It was still a very bizare experience though.
Jenn

February 14th, 2009, 11:02 AM
LJD3Tdance's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to LJD3Tdance Send a message via Yahoo to LJD3Tdance
Yeah, it is freaky though when people are doing things to you and you aren't expecting it, lol. I hope to avoid that this time!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search