Potty/diaper change

Forum: Baby Signing

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Signing LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 8th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am curious what everyone uses for "diaper change" if you use anything at all. Is it the same sign that you will use for potty? Will/do you use different signs for each... "job".. that needs to be done in the potty?

I'm curious what others do, or what others' thoughts are because I am not quite sure what works best for us. We use the sign "change" for when I change his diapers, when they are wet or soiled and I missed a communication. When I catch a communication and take him to his potty, I use the sign for potty. Here's the thing though. From what I've read about elimination communication, infants view their eliminations as two separate things. It's not all just "going potty" there is pooping and there is peeing (sorry for my blunt descriptions. I know no other way of talking about these things ) So when I have him at his potty, I give him the cue "ssssss" if I think he has to pee or "poopoo!" when I think he has to poop. I've been signing potty, but I'm thinking that maybe I ought to use two different signs, especially since my vocalizations AND their meanings (to him) are different things.

Also, sometimes I don't take him to the potty to eliminate. Sometimes I just put him on the changing table and catch it in the diaper. This way he is not distracted from his elimination (sometimes he stops going because I whisk him to the potty. It's a disruption of the process, I think!) but he also is not sitting in it. He does wait for me to give the cues. I am not sure if I should sign potty or diaper change in this situation. This is another reason why I am thinking of having a separate sign for each elimination. I can do the sign cue with my vocal cue, and then when I put the new diaper on his bum (if I put one on) I can sign "change."

What do you all think? Sorry for all the potty details. I am just unsure. I know that signing would help our EC tremendously, on both his end and my end, but I need to get something consistent that I am confident in. Does anyone have suggestions for signs to use for each elimination? I need something I can sign one handed for each.

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
May 9th, 2009, 06:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I use the sign for Change when I change Kiki's diaper. When I catch her peeing, I do the "sss" sound and sign Potty. I was going to use the word for Poop too, but DS and DH think it's hilarious and when I used it they kept repeating it and laughing, so I quit doing that one. I need to find another sign for it soon though.

I make personalized metal jewelry for mommies, & more: www.caoimhelily.etsy.com

May 9th, 2009, 09:04 AM
Thanks for the reply.

I am thinking of using "potty" for poop because that is what he does in the potty most often at this point (I don't have time between seeing that he has to pee and him actually going to get him to a potty)I think he kind of already associates the sign with poop, as well as going to the toilet. I do think he has better associations between the vocalizations and the eliminations though, but I'd like to add a sign so that he can TELL me. The associations are there, I just need to get confident in my signs

Ladies I am SO sorry for all the talk about pottying. I'm blushing bright red as I'm typing these, but it is a serious problem that I need advice on LOL I hope no one is offended

Click the blinkies!

May 11th, 2009, 07:20 AM
noworries
I just use the sign potty. When I am changing her I say "Did you go potty" or something to that effect. She is really associating potty with poop and will come up to me now sometimes before she poops and sign potty, please.
May 11th, 2009, 08:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Wtg, Eva! It's great that she is already wanting to use the potty.

I make personalized metal jewelry for mommies, & more: www.caoimhelily.etsy.com

May 12th, 2009, 09:52 AM
Yay Ava!!!! That is great!

Well, I THINK that Jonah was signing "Potty" when I was feeding him the other day. He kept signing "All done" and then doing what looked like "milk" (which we use for nurse... something he hasn't done for weeks now! He's pretty much weaned so I was surprised to see him doing this) then it occurred to me that he had to poop. I think that what I thought was "milk" was actually potty. So, "potty" for poop it is LOL When you can't make up your mind, just listen to the kid

Click the blinkies!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search