New here!

Forum: Baby Signing

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Signing LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 18th, 2009, 10:29 AM
Veteran
Hello, my name is Heather and my son, Gordon, was born Aug 22, 2008. I have been very inconsistent with signing up to this point, but am wanting to start really working with it. I hope that I can get some good advice....

How do you make sure that you consistently remember to sign to your baby? I find myself half-way through a meal before I remember that we are trying to learn "more", or he is already in the bath before I ask "Do you want to take a BATH?"

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
Deuteronomy 31:6
May 18th, 2009, 11:33 AM
noworries
Welcome. Now is a great time to really start being consistant. They soak stuff up like sponges at his age. Just do your best. If he is already in the bath by the time you remember, just say "How do you like your bath?", "Are you have fun in the bath?", etc.
May 18th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hi Heather, and welcome! Our babies are very close in age; my daughter Caoimhe is only six days younger than your son.

One idea to help you remember is to grab some post-it notes, write the sign names on them, and stick them where you'll see them. For example, write EAT, MORE, and ALL DONE on one, and stick it near Gordon's highchair where you'll see it the next time he eats. You can stick one on your bathroom mirror that says BATH, DUCK, WATER, or whatever bathtime signs you want to use. That way, you'll always have a handy reminder. Once you do it consistently for a while, it will just become second nature to you.

I make personalized metal jewelry for mommies, & more: www.caoimhelily.etsy.com

May 18th, 2009, 08:44 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Welcome Heather and Gordon! My son was born on August 15th 2008, so our sons are just days apart!

I agree with the above posts. If you suddenly remember that you want to work on a sign, just incorporate it into simple conversation with your son. The more you do it, the more you'll remember it the next time. It's difficult to add something to a routine, but soon the signing will become part of the routine, and soon after that it will just be natural and you'll be able to do it outside of that routine.

Please feel free to ask any questions that you have. We're happy to discuss anything with you!
May 19th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Veteran
Great tips! Thank you all so much! Looks like we might be going through some of the same things together!!

Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you."
Deuteronomy 31:6

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search