While we're talking about changing signs....

Forum: Baby Signing

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Signing LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 20th, 2009, 07:29 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This is so weird. I just posted earlier today about how Jonah changed how he does all done. Then I became convinced at dinner that he's done something similar to "drink"

He's never signed drink. I've used it for bottles and sippy cups. The sign I used was a closed fist with the thumb sticking out, and placed to the lips. He's seen it hundreds of times, every time he gets a bottle or a sippy.

I used the sign "milk" for nursing. He did that all the time when we nursed. He is done nursing now- didn't even take the breast for comfort after his shots on Monday (broke my heart, btw) He was starting to sign "milk" when he wanted to nurse, about the time that he was cutting back on nursing.

So then I noticed him doing it when he was taking a bottle. I said "No, you're not 'nursing' your having a 'bottle'" he kept doing it, so I said "Do you want to 'nurse'?" and I latched him onto the breast, and he promptly bit me. The next bottle, he started signing it again. I ignored it, thinking maybe I was just imagining that he was signing it.... even though it was "milk" spot on how he does it.

Yesterday I gave him a sippy with formula in it during lunch. I was giving him bites of finger food, and then offering him the cup in between. I was keeping the cup on the table next to me. He started reaching out toward the cup and signing "milk" and I thought "no! he can't be!" sure enough, he wanted his cup. Again I brushed it off as a fluke- kids open and close their hands when they want something, and milk is opening and closing his hand. Well, today at dinner, DH brought a big glass of juice to the table. Jonah has this fascination with glasses and big people's drinks. He's always trying to get them. He looked right at Daryl's glass and signed milk clear as day. His hand was on his tray, it came up, signed milk, and went back to rest on the tray. He did it two more times before getting frustrated that he wasn't getting that cup, so I got him a sippy.

I guess Jonah is just deciding what signs we will be using LOL Another story I had to share. It's really getting exciting here with signs. I've been kind of in the waiting period for a long time, and now it's all starting to light up and take hold in his little mind. I hope it means he's going to start producing new signs finally!

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
May 25th, 2009, 10:48 AM
ZaydensMomma's Avatar Aaron Nicole
That's cute what he's doing! Do you sign "drink" using C handshape on chin?
May 26th, 2009, 09:28 AM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That is similar to what we use; we use a c shape, but then instead of curling the thumb around in the c shape, we point it back toward our chin. I don't know if that makes sense the way I described it. I guess it would kind of look like we were sucking our thumb, except the hand is open like a C and the thumb is on our chin

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search