Signing yes, maybe :-)

Forum: Baby Signing

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Signing LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 31st, 2009, 09:22 AM
I've been trying to sign with DD for few months. I'm probably too sporatic with it though. We sign 'potty', 'all done' and 'more'. We also used to sign milk (boobie) but I noticed that she caught the meaning of that right away but has hardly ever felt like signing it back at me (she would come running when she saw me sign it).

Anyway today I was asking her if she wanted more and I think that she copied me. She did it few times but ended up clapping her hands. I thought it was pretty cool though and felt like sharing it

I'm not really sure if I'm doing her any favors with the signing. She is already being exposed to three verbal languages. Still they are supposed to catch the signs earlier and I'm hoping that she will since she is still not speaking (tries to say bye bye in context but that's about it) and she'll be 16 months on Wed.

So while I'm at it, any suggestions to get her to sign back at me? I figure she'll pretty much just do it whenever she feels like it, if she ever will . When we sign potty I will sometimes cover her fist in mine and shake it or then do it while holding her so she can see herself in the mirror. At another point I tried to show her 'more' by saying and showing and then giving her a crumb of bread. I felt like I was training a puppy and have no idea whether that was helping or just confusing her.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok
August 31st, 2009, 10:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Its taken my son this long to start signing and he's 17 months. Be persistent and make the sign the way its made, you can make up your own signs for things but just be careful that they don't mean something else that is in her everyday life that could confuse her. If she attempts to make a sign praise her and get all excited, they love that. I also take sebastian's hands and do it for him so that he can see what it feels like to do it, he seems to catch on that way. He too would not make any signs but he knew exactly what i meant. Just keep it up and be consistent. She'll get it, but keep it up. If you only do it sometimes and not all the time when you say the word, she may end up confused. Goodluck, hope this helped.

Jess
August 31st, 2009, 02:10 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't really have anything to add, except welcome! Jess (the other one LOL) pretty much summed it up. If you remain consistent with pairing the word to the sign all the time, then she will start to understand!

There are some great tips in the sticky FAQ thread!

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
September 1st, 2009, 02:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Effervescence View Post
I don't really have anything to add, except welcome! Jess (the other one LOL) pretty much summed it up. If you remain consistent with pairing the word to the sign all the time, then she will start to understand!

There are some great tips in the sticky FAQ thread!
So do you have any idea how much it'll confuse her that sometimes a sign goes with "koppur" and sometimes "potta"? It's the same word, just in different languages. I am the only one signing with her but was just wondering if it'd be a help or hinderence if I got DP on board.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boberrymom View Post
Its taken my son this long to start signing and he's 17 months. Be persistent and make the sign the way its made, you can make up your own signs for things but just be careful that they don't mean something else that is in her everyday life that could confuse her. If she attempts to make a sign praise her and get all excited, they love that. I also take sebastian's hands and do it for him so that he can see what it feels like to do it, he seems to catch on that way. He too would not make any signs but he knew exactly what i meant. Just keep it up and be consistent. She'll get it, but keep it up. If you only do it sometimes and not all the time when you say the word, she may end up confused. Goodluck, hope this helped.

Jess
Ok so taking her hands and doing it may help. I think I actually picked that up from this forum. I have lurked in here a bit from time to time.

Hvor er toalettet?
Skal vi danse?
Gratulerer med fødselsdagen
Luftputefartøyet mitt er fullt av ål
Ett språk er aldri nok
September 1st, 2009, 06:16 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Signing can be a helpful bridge between the different languages, so don't worry that it will be a hindrance. But as the other ladies mentioned, consistency is very important. Because she has several words for each object, she needs to hear them and see the sign every time she comes in contact with the object. When you do the same sign for koppur and potta, the sign will cut down on the confusion and help her to understand that they have the same meaning.

Btw, welcome to the forum!

I make personalized metal jewelry for mommies, & more: www.caoimhelily.etsy.com

September 1st, 2009, 10:34 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Anyone that you can get on board that has close contact with her alot of times would help rather than hinder because then she realizes that they understand what she is saying, less frustration. You want her to be an open communicator for further down the road, having anyone onboard with the close contact helps and would not hinder in any way unless they are doing the wrong signs but if you teach them it shouldn't be a worry.
September 10th, 2009, 08:48 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
one thing that I wanted to add is that you mentioned feeling like you're "training" your child. I can see how a lot of times it could feel that way, and sometimes I have seen nursery school teachers doing it in such a manner that it is more like training. But really if you are consistent about it, it is just one more way that you can immediately respond to your child.

The one that most people feel is like training would probably be "more" because you go all into "do you want MORE? You want MORE dont you? Say MORE! Tell me MORE" That is the typical dialogue (monologue???) that I have heard. Then the child does the sign, and they are praised and given more food. Yes, that is also how I train my dog LOL but the connections that my dog is making between the treat and a trick is COMPLETELY different than the connection that your child is making about the sign and getting more yummy food. When you do that, you're teaching her that when she communicates to you with that sign, you understand and will give her more food or more drink or play more music or read the book one more time.... It's not that you're rewarding a desired behavior, you are showing her the connection between the sign, the consequences if she does the sign, and ultimately the meaning of the sign. Make sense?

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
September 12th, 2009, 09:53 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Whenever you do something new and different with your child you are essentially "training" them but not in the sense of the word. You are teaching them, teaching them a new way to communicate, teaching them that you can be less frustrated, both of you when he/she wants something, teaching them that yes you ARE listening even though they aren't talking. These are all very important things. Don't do it so that you feel like you are training, just make it a part of your life, its less frustration in the long run and its just something you do, you aren't "training". KWIM?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search