Curiously Interested

Forum: Baby Signing

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Signing LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 20th, 2010, 10:03 AM
*1Boy1Girl*
Hey girls, I've been curiously interested about baby signing.

How old do they have to be to start signing? What should the first words be, IYO?

Give me a quick play by play as to how to get started
January 20th, 2010, 07:26 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi and welcome to the Baby Signing board!

You can start signing whenever you want. The younger your child is, the longer you'll have to be signing to them before they'll sign back but they might start picking it up a little earlier. A lot of the experts and books say between 6-8 months is the prime time, but really there are benefits to both signing earlier than that and signing later.

I like to start out with words that refer to basic needs. Milk (for bottle or nurse,) change (for diaper change) and eat are all good words to start with. If your child has a paci or special blankie, you might want to have a sign for that. Basically, start with whatever word or words you think that your child would need to say to you the most.

Getting started is easy! You just look up whatever word you want to use (you can use the internet or grab a book from the library- our resources sticky (Baby Signing Resources) has a great list of online dictionaries) Then you want to practice it until you feel comfortable with it. When you feel you are ready to introduce the sign to your child, you simply sign the word at the same time that you would naturally say it. So if you want to introduce "milk" for nursing or for a bottle, when your little one gets fussy you would say "oh, do you want to nurse?" and do the sign for milk as you say "nurse" Any time that you say the word, use the sign. The more you say it and sign it, the better. I found that signing actually helped me to talk a LOT more to infants!

Thats it! Just say it and sign it. Check out our FAQ sticky for a little more in-depth answers

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search