Signs that Look the Same

Forum: Baby Signing

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Signing LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 8th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
There are a lot of signs that are extremely similar. To an adult, they are obviously different, but for an infant or young child it can be difficult to distinguish them, or to do them in different ways.

Jonah has started signing "shoe." The sign for shoe is making fists with both hands and touching them together twice, thumb to thumb (so knuckles are facing out, if that makes sense)

The problem is, the sign for "more" is putting fingertips together twice. For an adult learning these signs, it is pretty easy to see the difference and we have the motorskills to do each one. Jonah, however, doesn't have the motorskills to turn his fists outward the way that I sign "shoe" and he also cannot stick his fingertips out to put them together. He signs both words the same- making fists and bumping his knuckles together.

I also noticed that when someone else signed the word "pig" to him at the signing group a couple weeks ago, he thought they were signing "dirty." He brushed his clothes and looked at his hands like "I am not dirty!" The words look almost identical, and I had to ask the leader what the difference was.

Does your little one sign any words the same? How do you deal with this when introducing more signs? Do you change the signs to make them more different, or stick with the ASL knowing that your child will grow into understanding the differences?

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
February 12th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We'll keep the ASL signs. Pig and dirty are so close that I completely understand why he'd confuse those. I think diaper, no and duck will be confusing for the girls. They are all the same thing, but signed in different places. I think i'm going to confuse my kids because some times I sign diaper and change and sometimes I sign bathroom (toilet) when it's time for a change.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

February 12th, 2010, 11:58 AM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
oh yes, "bird" and "no" really confuses Jonah too! He just can't tell the difference between one finger and two. We have three parrots, and he'll often be looking at them, signing "no" and shaking his head, saying "mmmn mmm...." like he's telling them no LOL I hope he figures out the difference. He must really think our birds are naughty or something (which really, they are!) and that we are constantly telling them no!

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
February 14th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My SIL was signing to me today and I couldn't figure out what she was talking about. It took me way too long to figure out she was signing 20 and not bird It's amazing how a little bit of position makes a totally different word.

LOL about the naughty birds

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search