Will you continue to teach signing?

Forum: Baby Signing

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Signing LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 7th, 2010, 11:05 AM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When your child becomes verbal and starts to "drop" baby signs, will you continue teaching signs or sign language? Some people are simply teaching their baby signs to communicate before the child is able to speak verbally, but others like the idea of having it as a second language and continuing exposure to it throughout childhood. Both are completely great, I am just wondering what everyone on the board is doing

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
March 7th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We'll be teaching ASL as they get older-- their grandfather is gradually going deaf, so it's going to probably end up being the means of communication 10 years (or so) down the road... plus there's a blind/deaf school in the area, which means we have a HUGE deaf population around here, making it a very good language to know.
March 7th, 2010, 03:30 PM
ninja_mommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I really want to continue it. I wish it was something that I had learned a long time ago.

Oct '11 June '12
March 7th, 2010, 03:36 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I would like to continue it, although she is signing less and less each day. I think we will mostly continue using it for safety situations, in quiet places, and as a "secret language" since kids always love that kind of thing.

I make personalized metal jewelry for mommies, & more: www.caoimhelily.etsy.com

March 7th, 2010, 08:37 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We'll definitely be keeping it around. I know it will gradually shift in the way we are teaching it to him. We will be homeschooling,including preschool and kindergarten, so it is a good way to meet the language requirements etc. When our kids are old enough to need a second language in school, we'll let them pick, but we'll have to have a tutor come in since I don't know the grammar etc. of ASL if that is what they choose

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
March 8th, 2010, 05:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Effervescence View Post
We'll definitely be keeping it around. I know it will gradually shift in the way we are teaching it to him. We will be homeschooling,including preschool and kindergarten, so it is a good way to meet the language requirements etc. When our kids are old enough to need a second language in school, we'll let them pick, but we'll have to have a tutor come in since I don't know the grammar etc. of ASL if that is what they choose
Hey cool-- we'll be homeschooling as well. I was homeschooled, and DH and I want to carry it on with our kids.

Not sure if you've looked for them or not, but at least in this area there are often free classes for ASL which will take anyone willing to learn (including babies, lol). We've got at least three running in our area that I can think of right now, and there's also a 'deaf dinner' thing at a local mall here, where hearing and deaf people can get together to chat over a meal, and a bunch of other stuff, so you might not need a tutor, you may just need to find a free class or two and some other activities... it would totally cover any sort of language requirements, unless you live somewhere that a specific language is required, even without a tutor.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search