asking for "help"

Forum: Baby Signing

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Signing LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 25th, 2010, 06:55 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Does your child ever ask you for help with anything? Does he or she sign it, or do you just know from other things that they do to let you know they need help?

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
March 26th, 2010, 07:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Nope. Trying to help her with anything leads to a tantrum, lol. She is SO independent. We even discovered that the tantrum she throws about getting into her car seat isn't about the fact she's getting strapped in, but the fact that we were actually placing her in the seat instead of letting her climb in from outside the car.
March 26th, 2010, 10:15 AM
haha, my sister was the same way! We still tease her about it when the family gets together and she's being stubborn about something, we say "Oh, I can do it my own self!" Because that is what she used to scream at my parents!

Jonah won't ask for help either, but I don't think it's because he's being stubborn about independence. I really think that the thought has never occurred to him that he could go to an adult for help with something. If he is playing with a toy and can't get it, he just throws the toy and moves to something else, or he cries.

This is actually one reason why I posted this question. We are trying to encourage him to turn to us for help, and I was looking for ideas. I thought I'd see what everyone else's LO is doing It is part of his/our speech therapy.

Click the blinkies!

March 27th, 2010, 05:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I wonder if, since it sounds like he would actually LET you help him (as opposed to my strong willed independent little thing who definitely won't... the word 'help' is like the word 'no' with many kids-- it brings on the tears instantly, lol), if you were to take him by the hand to wherever the item landed, or go to him if he didn't throw it) and verbalize it for him with signs included... and try to catch it before he gets frustrated too. So like if you see him trying to do something and he's getting frustrated, go to him and suggest "Maybe Mommy can help you with that, say 'help please' so she will know." When YOU say 'help please' sign it for him, and then after you help him think it through, show him the signs with his hands in the order you want them used... I'm assuming he probably knows the sign for please...? And if you don't catch it ahead of time, then take him to the item, or go to him when he is upset and do similarly. I doubt it will be an instant change, but verbalizing it will probably help him start thinking it through. Anyway... just a thought. That sort of thing helped with my nephew and a couple of other kids I worked with who had speech delays, so maybe it would help Jonah too.
March 27th, 2010, 07:47 PM
yeah, that is basically what we are doing I guess there probably isn't really any other way to do it, I was just thinking that maybe I could find inspiration for other ways to work it into our daily routine

Click the blinkies!

April 4th, 2010, 10:42 AM
ItalySarah's Avatar Proud Attached Mommy
Bella gets frustrated and makes a noise and I usually sign "help" to show her to use it. Sometimes she will sign it back, other times she keeps making the noise. lol

April 21st, 2010, 06:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I just thought I'd update here, Rebecca's newest sign is.... HELP!! Yay! She finally figured out that sometimes it's okay to need some help with things, lol. She puts her two hands together almost like she's praying, and then raises them up in front of her face. Very sweet, and I'm sure hoping she's going to start asking for help without reminders to ask.
April 23rd, 2010, 07:33 PM
yay Rebecca! What a cute way to sign it! Hopefully it will help cut down on her stubborn-ness in accepting help. Maybe it will feel more like it's on her terms to her now, like she is actively seeking help, so it's okay hehe

Click the blinkies!

April 24th, 2010, 07:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
It's making SUCH a difference, especially when we can tell she's getting frustrated! If we notice her getting frustrated with something, we'll just ask her if she needs some help, and she'll think about it... if she decides she doesn't, she'll shake her head no (just started responding with nods/shakes to mean something recently), and if she decides she does, then she nods and signs 'help please'. It's solved a lot of issues in our lives in the past few days!
April 25th, 2010, 12:20 PM
ItalySarah's Avatar Proud Attached Mommy
Bella is signing "help" now too! She smacks her hands together really hard but its not a clapping motion. She is using the palm of her hand to smack. Its so nice that she can do it. It has made things so much easier.

September 28th, 2010, 11:45 AM
knightsgirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I know this is an older post, but I wanted to add my son's story.

Usually, when he is trying to do something and can't, I'll hear him start whining and getting upset. I'll ask him what's wrong (the first time I had no idea why he'd be upset), and he'll turn to me and sign "help". Most of the time he gets upset and asks for help it's because a toy is stuck (which was the case the first time I remember him asking for help).

Sometimes he'll randomly run up to me and ask for "help" and I'll ask him what he needs help with and he'll run off to show me ... today he wanted help getting a stick that is stuck underneath something heavy. The other day when he signed help at the playground, and when I asked him, he pointed to the slide. He wanted help going down the slide. =D

When we first learned the sign, I made sure to ask him "Do you need help?" and make the sign for help. Or when I'd be doing something (like making coffee), I'd ask him if he wanted to help and make the sign. He seemed to pick up on it fast. His version of help is one hand shaped like the E smacking into his open palm. But I know what he means and it makes me so proud to see him understand!

Thank you so much to Typical Vampire for my awesome siggie!!

September 28th, 2010, 02:59 PM
ninja_mommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What is an appropriate age for them to comprehend help?

Oct '11 June '12
September 28th, 2010, 07:33 PM
PreciousBunz's Avatar Super Mommy
Yes, she asks for help and started very young because she learned the sign for it. I remember she couldn't talk much but I would hear from across the room, "help"..LOL

She does sign it, she likes to "help" mama clean, cook and make bread. She's 2, so we've got lots of opportunities to use it.
May 21st, 2011, 01:42 AM
mama_aud26's Avatar Mommy of 2 girls!
DD totally used the sign for "help"!! It was precious I loved it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search