Need help?...sign for Potty!

Forum: Baby Signing

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Signing LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 15th, 2010, 05:57 PM
mommabirdof4
My son has been showing a sudden interest in the potty. He has gone on the potty all day today. He is just shy of 2 and is still pretty much non-verbal. He is in Theraphy through ECI and they teach signs as part of his work. But I don't see them until Thursday and I may end up having to cancel due to a dr's appointment.

Since I know he picks up signs way faster then new words....can someone please let me know what the sign for Potty is? Or one you use for your kids?
May 15th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Jonah has two signs for "potty." One for poop, which is the ASL sign for potty- making the letter T with your hand and wiggling it back and forth (to make the letter T, make a fist with your thumb in between your middle and pointer finger) He has adapted this to waving his fist in a certain way, I can't really describe it.

Then he has another for pee, which I sort of made up from the ASL sign for "wet." I put my palm up and close all my fingertips together, and then move my hand up and down. It sort of looks like a raindrop or a drop of wetness coming down.

I hope my descriptions aren't too hard to follow! These are the best two signs I've taught Jonah, I think

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
May 16th, 2010, 04:32 PM
mommabirdof4
oh they make sense very well...thanks for the help...

What is the best way to teach the signs??

The only sign he has down 100% is more....he uses it when he hands me his sippy cup...then he does the sign for more.

oh I have to say the sign for more has been a life saver...he used to have breakdown because he couldn't ask for more juice but now he can and it has helped so much!
May 16th, 2010, 07:17 PM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I taught Jonah the signs for poop and pee by doing them whenever he was going. I'd take him to the bathroom and when he'd go (or when I'd notice him going in his diaper) and I'd simply tell him "You're going poopoo!" and do the sign. The same for pee. He doesn't use the sign for pee as much, he has kind of just rolled it all into the sign for "potty" which is fine, because I still know when he needs to go to the bathroom.

The key to teaching any sign is to use it as you would a verbal word. Whenever you say the word, do the sign, and talk about it A LOT in context. The more consistent you are, the easier it is for your child to pick it up Good luck!

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!
November 1st, 2010, 07:25 PM
SpankyMagoo's Avatar Gonna make Jo a big sis
Our class uses the ASL sign for "toilet", which is just shaking a T back and forth... any children that dont have the manual dexterity to make a T, can just shake their fist back and forth.
November 22nd, 2010, 11:00 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We use the sign for "toilet" whenever she needs to pee or poop. She shakes her fist, but she's working really hard at getting her thumb tucked to make the "t" lol...
March 5th, 2011, 06:16 PM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Not thinking it through, we taught DS the sign for "poop." We'd do the sign and say "poop" whenever we saw him pooping. He started signing it before he went and has since been going on the potty about once a day.

It's great that he's going on the potty, but if I could go back, I'd probably teach him the sign for "potty." I'm a little embarrassed when we're in a restaurant or anywhere pubic and starts signing "poop" when he's pooping at the table

March 20th, 2011, 07:21 AM
Rozz-berry's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by monica8 View Post
It's great that he's going on the potty, but if I could go back, I'd probably teach him the sign for "potty." I'm a little embarrassed when we're in a restaurant or anywhere pubic and starts signing "poop" when he's pooping at the table
I lol'd hard.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search