I would like to join you.. * why no responses when 16 people looked*

Forum: Baby Signing

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Signing LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 17th, 2010, 09:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My son is just shy of 22 months and may be autistic. He is not severe accept for being non verbal. He cries and hums and use to babble a bit but almost always is silent. He has global delays, as well as my 7 year old daughter. We found out he has a duplication on the 15th chromosome which is linked to autism and delays. I would love to have support from others using signing. I would love any advice on signing. We do some, but not alot.

Last edited by mommy10_13; August 28th, 2010 at 07:03 PM.
August 29th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Hi and welcome to the signing board! I don't post here/look here often so sorry I didn't see this sooner.

I sign occasionally with my DD who is 13 months old. She does know a small handful of signs and uses them on a regular basis.

My suggestion would be to start with one of two signs that occur on a daily basis (eat, all done, more, etc) and really work on those. After those are set in place, add in more signs. The best thing to do is start with the signs that come up in every day context. If you keep signing the word while you are saying it or acting it out in context, eventually it should sink in.

I hope this helps!

August 29th, 2010, 07:09 PM
PreciousBunz's Avatar Super Mommy
I didn't see this either.

Welcome.

I don't have any experience with autistic children but I would say to use signing much more.

Is your son musical? Does he like music?

I would invest in the Signing Time DVD's. These are auditory, visual and tactile. He may like it and it may help to build his vocabulary. It's also a great way for you to learn.

There is also a great site that you can look up words to teach him.
http://www.aslpro.com/cgi-bin/aslpro/aslpro.cgi
September 12th, 2010, 10:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
the 16 were probably 'lurkers' - or people who don't post ever. or people who don't post much so they would feel silly 'welcoming' you. like me - I mean welcome and all - but this is the first time I've visited this board!

Thank you Kiliki for my first beautiful Siggie!

mom of 2 angels and an earth baby
September 18th, 2010, 12:35 AM
Sally5's Avatar Exhausted Mommy!
This is the first time I've ever visited this board, too, but I do happen to know that sign language can be VERY beneficial for your LO - especially if you speak the word(s) as you are signing them. He is a link to a great site I found on the topic and a little excerpt: http://http://www.babies-and-sign-la...om/autism.html

Quote:
One of the most frustrating aspects of autism is the breakdown in communication.

Children with autism struggle with the complexity of spoken language.

Sign language creates an avenue of communication that strengthens speech and language development.

Sign language provides numerous social, emotional, cognitive, and communicative benefits for children with autism, such as:

Stimulation of speech and language development

The visual stimulation provided by sign language activates the same centers in the brain that are activated by speech. Many signs are iconic, meaning they are gestures that are visually associated to the object they refer to. These visual associations are easier for children with autism. Sign language acts as a bridge to speech and language by “turning on” areas of the brain that are inactive due to the breakdown in spoken language.

Encoding language early is the key to learning, and learning is the key to success.

Let us know how it goes!!! Good luck and

~~~~~~
September 21st, 2010, 10:00 AM
knightsgirl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just came to this board a few days ago, even tho I've been on JM for nearly 3 years!

Welcome to the signing board! =D I hope that you can find some good information here for yourself and your kids. So far, it seems like you have!

I also recommend ASLPro.com Home for looking up signs. I use it all the time with my son (and he enjoys watching the videos they show of people doing signs lol).

And what the PP said about starting with signs that come up day-to-day is very good advice. I remember the first sign I tried to teach was "dog" because our dog was always around him. But signs like "milk", "more", "all done", etc are great starts.

Hope you find some good resources and help here! Lemme know if you need anything!

Thank you so much to Typical Vampire for my awesome siggie!!

October 1st, 2010, 12:29 PM
MrsAndMommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by sodagirl View Post
the 16 were probably 'lurkers' - or people who don't post ever. or people who don't post much so they would feel silly 'welcoming' you. like me - I mean welcome and all - but this is the first time I've visited this board!
Ditto to what this girl just said lol. I'm just here looking for how to teach my 8 month old to sign..........lol
October 3rd, 2010, 04:54 PM
Super Mommy
HI! Welcome! I don't know if I've posted on this board before, but I do teach an inclusion classroom with some autistic children. I think It would be great to have some signing in place so that your son can communicate more easily with you, and also with people outside of the family. Signing can cut down on frustration a lot, and like another poster said, help to build a bridge to speech.
My DD is 9mths and just learned the more sign. I am working on teaching her milk and all done as well. I think these are the easiest to start with because you will have the most chances to practice them. The more and all done can also be used with a lot of other activites besides eating.
October 21st, 2010, 09:25 AM
Effervescence's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
hi! I was the previous host of this board, and I can tell you that the majority of people who come here are just lurkers looking through posts for information. I don't really have time to come here often, in fact I think this is the first time since early august? I'm not sure how long it's been.

My son is 26 months old, and he has been diagnosed with autism and apraxia. He has a deletion on his 22nd chromosome which causes physical as well as developmental issues.

Signing with him is the absolute best thing we've ever done for him. We didn't know that he wouldn't talk at age two. We just signed with him because we liked the other benefits. Then as his first birthday came and went, and he still had no words, and then his 18 month mark and still no words, we were eternally grateful for having this means of communication.

For autistic children, it is really great because not only does it give them an alternative way to communicate their needs etc, but it also helps them focus on what you are telling them. They are seeing and hearing the word at the same time, so they pay more attention and stay more focused on your instructions to them.

Click the blinkies!

Thank You, Pattyandthemoos, for my beautiful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search