Careful with "more"

Forum: Baby Signing

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By calebsmom_paulswife

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Signing LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 1st, 2010, 07:19 PM
SpankyMagoo's Avatar Gonna make Jo a big sis
Hi,

Ive been a lurker on this board for a little while. I am a teacher in a classroom with children (ages 5-6) who are disabled, either mentally or physically (or both). Many of my kids have been using sign since they were very little and it is such an excellent form of communication.

I just wanted to mention one thing. I have found through the last several years that every child comes in knowing the sign "more". Its a very basic sign and super easy to teach. However, of all those children, I think only one or two have actually known what it really means.

If you really think about it, "more" is kind of an abstract concept. To a young child "more" usually means "I want some of that"... yet "that" is not always what you think it is. I find that kids will often sign "more" when they havent even had anything yet. We then have to use signs like eat, drink, play, toy... instead of "more" to be more specific.

I just wanted to mention it, Im sure many of your children use it properly. I just wanted to raise the issue and am by no mean telling you to do anything differently. Its just interesting because it kind of goes against what everyone does when teaching young people sign language.

Katie
November 10th, 2010, 01:55 PM
Zach & Lola's Mom
Send a message via Yahoo to Madigan
Hmm.. interesting observation. I'll have to see how dd uses it.
We were at playgroup this morning and a young girl was very happy to report that her brother has FINALLY learned how to say "more" with his hands. (He's 14 mo) It was cute.

Props to ~:Kellarazzi:~ for my fab siggy.

November 11th, 2010, 12:39 PM
Celry's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My 14 month olds use more just the way you're saying. We sign to them on a regular basis because their aunt is deaf, so they do know the sign for want and know to point at what they want. I think it's an age thing for them.

Thank you peimum for my siggie

Dec 26 '08, BFP after 21 months thanks to acupuncture
Jan 14 '09, first u/s one strong heart beat
Jan 28, '09, second u/s, Surprise! two strong heart beats
Aug 13, '09 Arya and Eiley are born on what would have been their great grandmother's 105th birthday
365 Days in a Roe

November 13th, 2010, 06:26 AM
PreciousBunz's Avatar Super Mommy
My 2 y/o uses "More" with other words, like "More cookies"...Like with their spoken language, their Signing evolves along w/ their ability to form sentences.

The issue may be more pronounced because of the children you are working with. For my 2y/o, she signs along w/ her speech. In fact, my dh and I noticed that she will sign a few words while speaking in a full sentence.

I'm actually at a point where I'm going to have to take classes on line to further her ASL education.
I need to make sure that we're signing with the proper ASL Grammatical form..which I'm sure we're not at the moment.

For my dd, signing is a first language along with speech.
March 5th, 2011, 06:11 PM
monica8's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I completely agree. DS does more for pretty much everything. He basically does it when something needs to change, not actually for more.

That's a good idea to teach them actual words for what they are learning. Now that you say that, it's such an easy solution... I wish I'd thought of it sooner, but will start doing it. It irked me a little that he doesn't use "more" properly, because other people do not know what he means.

March 25th, 2011, 02:58 PM
calebsmom_paulswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just wanted to add my two cents worth here because I am a Sign Language Interpreter, but also someone who provides childcare in my home. I have had several children who used baby sign come through my doors and I just wanted to give a warning to parents. It is wonderful that you want your child to be bi-lingual, but please don't forget to speak to your children, and ask for them to speak back. For instance, "Can you say milk" then show the sign for milk. Then sign, "Austin wants milk" "Can Austin say thank you to mommy" then sign it and say it. A lot of children become verbally delayed due to baby sign, because parents don't make them speak as well as sign. Then, when the child goes to pre-school, they are considered developmentally delayed. I don't want to offend anybody, just looking out for the little ones. Happy signing!
Ash22 likes this.
April 29th, 2011, 09:24 AM
Hi - I have to agree that the 'more' word is hard for a kid to get. My daughter says 'more' for all food, she thinks it means eat.

calebsmom - I have read many things about kids getting stifled in the verbal while doing sign, but I have had the opposite happen. My daughter is 16 mos and she knows a ton of signs (guessing about 50), and she says every word she signs - we have been signing since 3 mos old. Her speech has taken off in the past month. She was saying the first syllable of every word a few weeks ago, and in the past couple weeks has moved up to two syllable words, which I think is fantastic for her age (although Im no expert). She just started saying Happy and Apple, Bottle, and Clean Up. I am very surprised, yet happily so.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search