Anyone still Signing??

Forum: Baby Signing

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Signing LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 30th, 2005, 10:19 AM
Grantsmom's Avatar Regular
Send a message via Yahoo to Grantsmom
Hi, I am new to the boards and was excited to see this forum. I have been using baby signs and now moved onto ASL for my 22 month old son. He has had some health issues and a NG (feeding tube) up until the end of December. My sons tongue has very limited use (Genetic's counsler thinks it Cranial Nerve damage/lack of )....so speech is of course a big challange. He knows about 25+ signs and uses about 15+/-. He no longer has trouble with hearing (PE tubes took care of that)...just verbal communication. I have enjoyed some of the sites already listed....just looking for some other Mom's using babysigns for whatever reason!
<span style="font-family:Optima">>>>Gina Mom to Grant (5/16/03) & preparing to TTC #2!!</span>

<span style="font-family:Geneva">Come visit the Baby Signing Forum!!</span>
March 30th, 2005, 10:59 AM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Welcome to the board!! I think we have a lot in common. My ds is twenty months. He had a lot of feeding issues as well. He is eating okay now but still on mostly pediasure. He has problems using his tongue properly although we don't have an official diagnosis of any sort. He did have a swallow study and had oral dysphagia but no problems as far as choking. We thought he was going to end up on a feeding tube for a while but now he is starting to eat okay.

He is signing as well and not yet talking. I plan to continue signing and eventually move to ASL. It is so nice to have you here. We don't have a lot of members on this board so I hope you will stick around!

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!
March 30th, 2005, 12:47 PM
Grantsmom's Avatar Regular
Send a message via Yahoo to Grantsmom
Hi Patty!! Wow, I have never meet another mom whose child also had issues with their tongue before. I have been involved with another site with lots of children with feeding issues, oral aversions, dysphagia (Grant too), and Reflux (Grant again) but no one remotely close. Grant was just taken off his Nutren Jr. w/fiber (the same as pedisure just Nestle brand). Because Grant had an NG it was covered through insurance. My last case is in the closet and I am slowly taking him off it by mixing w/whole milk. And he is still on bottle because of his issues. How about Brandon?? Luckily, Grant has been learning how to compensate for a tongue that doesn't give him much help. He uses his fingers to move food around and I am very carefully in only giving him soft, small pieces.... now that he has finally decided that he wants real food. What are some of Brandon's feeding issues??

Grant's favorite sign is MORE !! He has been using that one forever! He does say Muum and Daaaaaa a couple times a day but other then that he does alot of yelling and uuuuuuu-uu-uu'ing as I call it. We are lucky to be involved in "headstart" programs here in CA and have a SP, OT, infant child development, and MUsic to Grow on (his favorite).

Gosh, I am typing a novel. This is Grant's site:Grant's Page

You can check out a little about him there. If I haven't told you everything already!

Oh, Yeah....Brandon's July 4th birthday was my orginal due date with Grant!! But he decided to come @32 weeks and now has a May birthday!!!

Look forward to sharing experiences.....Gina
<span style="font-family:Optima">>>>Gina Mom to Grant (5/16/03) & preparing to TTC #2!!</span>

<span style="font-family:Geneva">Come visit the Baby Signing Forum!!</span>
March 31st, 2005, 04:29 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Brandon's feeding issues I think were mostly from low muscle tone but I am not totally sure. I know that the speech pathologist and ocupational therapist told me he did not use his tongue properly when he was chewing and he did not seal his mouth properly when drinking from a bottle or cup. He really didn't take a bottle. He was breastfeeding but we had a lot of problems with that. We ended up using a supplemental nursing system for a while. He did eventually beging exclusively breastfeeding only to have problems again. We eventually weaned him to a sippie cup. He went to the Avent sippie cups and really didn't take a bottle. He had problems with the cup for a while. I had to take the valve out so he could use it. And I had to thicken all his liquids with cereal for a really long time. Now he can take a sippie fine but still isn't eating real well. We take things one day at a time.

I just looked at your website. Your ds is a real cutie!

Missing my Mommy Weightloss & Fitness girls. You're the best!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search