How did you/are you going to learn?

Forum: Baby Signing

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Signing LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 11th, 2011, 12:01 PM
mommybugnbugga's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just curious, how everyone taught themselves and their babies to sign?

I used Baby Signing Time. I plan on purchasing these dvd's again to use. I loved how easy they were for me to pick up. I kept them on the TV alot (between those and Baby Einstien that was all I wached for about 2 years after ds was born...lol).

May 21st, 2011, 02:38 AM
mama_aud26's Avatar Mommy of 2 girls!
I'm going to be a sign language interpreter so I already know ASL, I just teach what I know.. I'm not 100% fluent yet though, I still have a couple years of college left! But I have a deaf friend that I've learned a lot from, and the most I learned was actually in my high school freshman ASL class believe it or not I still remember all I learned way back then. My mom always said I had a "gift" so I'm going for what she wanted me to do
July 28th, 2011, 08:29 AM
Goodluck to both of you guys
September 12th, 2011, 10:26 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I learn from people around me that I know who are fluent in ASL. There is a family at our church all fluent or semi-fluent, so they are a wealth of information and assistance for me.
September 14th, 2011, 06:01 PM
Rozz-berry's Avatar Veteran
Signing time is great to learn new signs but I doubt we'll learn that many signs. We're just starting with the basics.

He's only 3 months right now so the only one I'm trying to teach him is milk. I say, "Do you want some milk... milk... milk? as I sign, and then I try to get the bottle into his mouth within 2 or three seconds so that he makes the connection. Maybe in a month or so I'll teach him "more" the same way when he wants more milk.

DJ Junior.

October 26th, 2011, 03:49 AM
the link which you provide is very use full, thanks to share with us
November 17th, 2011, 10:30 AM
Kristin
I took 3 years of ASL in high school, I'm not super fluent any more (I graduated 10 years ago). But I was interested enough in the idea at the time that I wrote a paper on it. I plan to use the little sign I remember and start small. Some of the things I remember was that whether you use true ASL or your own home signs - start with a small number and repeat them frequently.

I used to baby sit a girl that knew sign and at age 2 when she wasn't really speaking yet - she was way more calm than any other 2 year old I had watched because she had some form of communicating what she wanted.

My baby is due May 16th - so I have more time to think and plan.
November 25th, 2011, 01:47 PM
Mega Super Mommy
GladI found this board!
I'm cheap sowe're learning through books from the library and You Tube videos.
February 25th, 2012, 09:37 PM
Mommy-to-2's Avatar Veteran
i took a short collage class, but i've always been interested in signing. My mom just bought me a book that has little flash cards, called "baby sign language" it shows which signs are good to start with your baby i love it!!

May 26th, 2012, 02:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
3 of the families I used to nanny for used baby sign... the mom's didn't have a lot of time to teach me, but often the older child (who was 3 or older in each family) would tell me what the baby was signing. I eventually got some books (1 on baby sign and 1 on ASL) and taught myself the signs that the kids used most often. Now it is pure habit that I sign with whatever words I am saying. I plan on using sign with my own children. I dont have any set plans on how many signs I will teach them, but the basic 5-10 i'm sure will just be habit from me.
January 25th, 2013, 05:23 PM
Summerdays12's Avatar Erin&Aaron's1st!
I did not know this board was here! I am a member of the Oct. 2012 PR. I sign with my baby who is 3 months old. I taught in an infant classroom and learned signing while working there. Amazing what these babies can cammunicate!

January 30th, 2013, 04:30 PM
NinjaCakes's Avatar Awesomesauce
I plan to learn from the internet, when I do. Obviously I don't need to yet! But I've pinned a few resources already.

Thanks so much Claire for my awesome siggy
May 19th, 2013, 08:19 AM
Veteran
I would love to teach my sonsign language! I know a few signs from my job ( I teach two year olds). My main concern is overwhelming my son. My boyfriend and his family are Portuguese. I want my son to learn their language along with English. Do you think signing may be too much? I am wondering if signing may help if I initiate the sign while speaking the work in English and Portuguese ...may help me learn Portuguese as well.
July 27th, 2013, 03:51 AM
I am also trying to learn from net.
August 19th, 2014, 11:25 AM
Hubby has hearing loss from military, his Grandpa has gone completely deaf over the last couple years & we have other family members with hearing issues so we have all been incorporating sign into our conversations. Now we are really wanting to make a serious effort to become fluent so we can teach the squeaker when born.
September 18th, 2014, 12:02 PM
I found these apps for free on my tablet and we learned all of the signs together. I used it first thing in the morning for our bonding time. I also started early, before he could talk. Loved them

I don't think that it will be too much. I have a strong feeling that everyone should know how to sign and help the hearing impaired instead of making them try and understand us.

« Hello! | Baby Signing | Age »
Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search