How to teach abstract concepts?

Forum: Baby Signing

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Signing LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 15th, 2011, 09:03 AM
Jule'sMomInOR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My DD has mastered some basic signs like milk, more, and all done. She regularly wakes up with some discomfort that I think is due to teething but it could also be her tummy since she's sensitive to a lot of foods. I'd like to help her learn to communicate that she's uncomfortable, but I have no idea how to go about teaching her the sign for pain. Stuff like mom, dad, dog, etc. is fairly easy because you can point to the person but how do you teach them abstract concepts like pain, hunger, cold, etc?

September 12th, 2011, 10:18 PM
Mega Super Mommy
When I suspect a problem (ie, hungry) I ask my kids if they want to eat something and give them the sign for eat... I suppose I could teach 'hungry' but haven't worried about it. for "cold" or "hot" we just teach it in the appropriate weather outside. Just like they learn the concept in English, basically. Repetition, and exposure to the concept.
February 10th, 2012, 03:56 PM
noworries
You might try the sign for "hurt".
February 10th, 2012, 04:02 PM
Jule'sMomInOR's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by noworries View Post
You might try the sign for "hurt".
We did end up teaching her the sign for hurt. The problem was connecting the sign with the concept. When kids are hurting, they are exactly receptive to learning new things at that exact moment, KWIM? So what I did was to walk around and pretend to hurt myself. I would pump my knee on the table and say "That hurts!" and make the sign for hurt. I did that two or three times per day for a few weeks and she got it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search