Hello!

Forum: Baby Signing

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Signing LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 25th, 2014, 06:29 PM
PoppetsMom's Avatar Veteran
Is anyone still using this board? It seems to have fallen quiet, based on the latest post. I would love to see this pick up some speed.

Fourteen years ago I had my son who was later diagnosed with Aspbergers Syndrome, which is on the Autistic spectrum. For the longest time he had real problems with communication. I had started doing some research and found a lone study that seemed to suggest that using sign with Aspies and other Autistic children really seemed to help bridge the gap in communication as they tend to be visual thinkers. Learning to communicate through ASL seemed to be a logical means of opening the door. Why not use a visual language to enrich a visual child, rather than force a visual child to try to understand the abstract of an invisible language with no spacial markers or concrete rules to guide them? So, I went to college and started taking some courses. Long story short, my son is now quite the talker, I, however, did not finish my degree for a variety of reasons.

Now that I'm pregnant with DD, and my situation affords me the ability to return to school. It is my intention to go back, finish my degree and make a career out of Interpreting this fall. If my estimation is correct, DD will be approximately 10-12 weeks old when I return to school and I'll have a bit of my refresher course under my belt to start using sign with her. By the time I graduate with my Bachelors Degree, approximately by the time she is 4 years old, I will have a career and from all accounts an underutilized set of skills within today's society in high demand.

I would love to hear from other Mommies using ASL or really sign language in general with their babies!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search