hi everyone

Forum: Baby Signing

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Baby Signing LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 25th, 2005, 04:51 AM
Cyndee's Avatar Mommy to 3 tagalongs
Send a message via Yahoo to Cyndee
Braxton is going on 4 months and I want to start signing with him..

When is the best age to start?

What signs do you use? Or do you use signs of your own?
April 25th, 2005, 06:48 AM
Hi Cyndee,

There is no perfect time to start signing. The important thing to remember is what you want to do. If you start before 8 months--on average they will not be signing back to you. This is more for if you want to make it a habbit. From 8-12 months--They will usually start signing back aroun 10 months. But it could take a few months to see the signs back. From 12+ months--You will see signs back within a few days. The older they are when you start the shorter time they will sign, because there vocal skills will be improving.

Hope this helps.

Join a team who together are working from home and loving it. We work for ourselves, but never by ourselves.
No Selling/ Stocking Products or Home Sales Parties.
100% Risk Free and member of the BBB!</font>
<font color="#FF0000">For more information visit: <font color="#FF0000">http://timewithkids.stayinhomeandlovinit.com</font></font>
Brenda Stanley
April 28th, 2005, 07:34 PM
pattyandthemoos's Avatar Administrator
Hey Cyndee. Sorry for replying so late. The experts say anywhere from six months to ten months is a good time to start signing. You can use actual signs or you can make up your own. It doesn't really matter unless you want your child to gone on to learn ASL. I don't think there is any harm in using signs now. I started signing with Brandon when he was about nine months. He didn't actually sign back to me for a really long time. Then when he did I wasn't even sure that was what he was doing. He doesn't do his signs exactly right but he is consistant with them.

Here is a link to an article on Baby Signing. It has some good links on it.
Patty JustMommies Administrator

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search