Working/Student mom and breast feeding

Our Stories

Experiences and Journals

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Our Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 30th, 2008, 02:22 PM
Proverbs31Mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
With Precious (now 4.5 years old) I had no issues, she latched on as soon as she was born and it was smooth till she refused to nurse. She laughed, literally when I latched her on, but by that time she was walking and 8 months old (walked at 7 months old)...and was overweight (she lost it after one year old)

With Trinity, it was piece of cake, second baby BTDT no big deal. I had so much milk that whenever I took off my bra, it would stream out to 10 directions like a fountain...

How lucky was I the third time?

When Jordan was born, he could not latch. His touch was always stuck to the roof of his mouth that even a bottle was an issue because it was getting under the toungue and he couldnt feed like that...I struggled so much at the hospital to latch him, and he finally got it by week 1. I had a lot of milk too.

At six weeks, I went back to work with my breast pump. One day I had a lot of milk to bring home, and the next day I pumped and the total for all sessions was half an ounce. JUST HALF. It countinued like that for two weeks despite what I tried. I contacted a LC from LLL and it was a stugglke.

I got myself a hospital grade pump (Ameda) and Fernugreek and started on a different level. I was surprised to produce 2oz a day that week, then it went to 2 oz per session, to 4 oz per session and now I take home at least 12-15oz.

At times, when I am overworked or stressed at work, I do not get much...pretty understandable. My son Jordan is now 4 months and I have been persistent for the last 2.5 months and I am not anywhere close to giving up. I want him on breast milk and I pray that God will grant me the desire of my heart everyday.

Unfortunately, I have been on this alone. DH thinks I should try so hard to breast feed since we have formula. My PCP (not my doc anymore) once asked me if I have any stress factors in my life and I mentioned the fact that I do not have enough breast milk and he looked at me and said, "Then give your baby formula that is the reason formula is there" Very unfortunate, but I am still determined because in this life, I choose what is worth working at and I pursue it with all my heart with, or without support.

I MAKE MILK!!
Jordan - 3 yrs old
Children are an inheritance from the Lord. The fruit of the womb a reward.
April 4th, 2011, 11:35 PM
Thank you all for the great advice! Your baby should begin to sleep through the night anytime now. Check with her doctor for some tips on how to help her sleep more. Now, you visit the campus employment office to find another job? Could you find an apprentice type job with a regular day shift schedule in the field you’re obtaining a degree in. Could you take online courses could you move your work schedule around to be at home with your children more at night? For instance, instead of helping the man with his showers before class, how about doing that in the morning, before or after class. That way you could bathe your kids and read to them before leaving for class in the evening. Thanks for sharing.
January 30th, 2014, 08:48 AM
Veteran
Thanks for your tips. These are all helpful. You are right with your positive attitude even when you are faced with many challenges. There are also breastfeeding consultants who are experts in teaching Moms everything about breastfeeding. I am planning to enroll in the class soon.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search