Struggling the first couple weeks

Our Stories

Experiences and Journals

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Our Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 17th, 2010, 10:32 PM
KiwiMommy's Avatar Ashlynn's Mama
When Ashlynn was born, I had a very tough time. My labor was long, she got stuck (and the nurse kept telling me I wasn't pushing and that she was going to get the Dr. to give me a c-section if I didn't try harder..I was pushing as hard as I could), I lost a ton of blood and Ashlynn broke her collarbone..
After having her, I kept passing out (and did so until my blood transfusion the next morning) so i'm not sure how long it took for them to give her to me..
I remember hearing the nurses mumbling "Is she going to breastfeed?" and I answered them with a firm Yes!
Ashlynn had a great latch, but she'd cry and unlatch often, so the nurses shoved a nipple shield on me and tried to get her to nurse that way. I used it ONCE, but felt it was super unnatural and immediately stopped using it. The nurse decided she'd give Ashlynn a bottle because she was crying so much.. I'm proud to say Ashlynn refused it with even louder screams.
I knew I was producing colostrum.. I had been leaking it since I was 20 weeks along!
Ashlynn got a case of jaundice after a couple days (We were there 4 days due to my bloodloss and her jaundice) and the nurses began to pressure me into giving her a bottle. I said no, knowing it would resolve itself and that the bottle wasn't needed. Her levels rose slowly, then peaked and began to go down. She never had a bottle while we were there.

When I got engorged the night we got home, Ashlynn started refusing to eat. She couldn't latch and would scream and cry, flailing her head around like I was torturing her. I ended up giving in and giving her a bottle. After that one bottle, I kept trying to nurse her. The next day I gave her another, but otherwise BF'ed the whole day. Slowly things began to get better. She still flailed around and screamed, but I kept trying..
Her fussiness peaked at 2 weeks..she screamed often, spit up like a faucet at almost every feeding and hardly slept. She still had issues with latching. My mom often found me holding the baby and crying in my bedroom.
I still refused to give up.
Things kept getting better and Ashlynn is now 7 weeks old and still being breastfed. My goal is to reach 6 months, 9 months being better...and if we reach a year, I'll be thrilled!
Ashlynn has since learned to latch on by herself!
She does occasionally have a bottle, but only if we are out and about, if I'm at school (I have night classes and my pump recently stopped working. I need a replacement part) or, twice, when she was cluster feeding and had completely drained me of every drop of milk, then continued to scream bloody murder.

She's growing wonderfully,too! At her 1 month appointment, she weighed 10lbs 5.8oz! She was born at 8lbs 14oz and a few days later was 7lbs 14oz.
At our LC appointment (she was about a week old) she was already 8lb 5oz.

Thank you peimum for the gorgeous siggy!
February 19th, 2014, 04:39 AM
Veteran
How have you been? Your little angels are adorable.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search