Pushing Forward Despite the Negativity

Our Stories

Experiences and Journals

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Our Stories LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 17th, 2008, 09:15 PM
Mahina's Avatar Veteran
I just wanted to share a bit on my experience w/ BF for those out there who have struggled and continue to struggle w/ the BF experience. Fortunately BF is making a comeback and giving new moms a chance and positive outlook on being able to BF and the benefits of BF.

I came from the school of thought that I would just try BF honestly having a negative outlook since, not knowing much about it at the time, that I most likely would not succeed. I thought that b/c I come from the small chested variety, that I would probably not produce enough milk and therefore, would probably end up feeding my baby formula. Well, after much research, talking to others, and reading the great "Nursing Mother's Companion" book, I discovered that YES, there was a chance that I could BF and that NO, breast size did NOT matter! I learned about the MANY benefits of BF and the fact that you can save so much money not having to buy formula. So, I had some hope and thought I'd at least give it a try.

After giving birth to my daughter, I followed the idea that you should put your baby at your breast within the first hour, the GOLDEN HOUR as they say. She definitely was an easy latcher but i had no clue what i was doing and the nurse at the time was not much help. I tried to feed my daughter every 2-3 hours not realizing she wasn't feeding correctly and was latching on wrong b/c i was going off of what i had read only. While in the hospital, i then had several visits from different nurses and a LC who was of great help and started pointing me in the right direction w/ latching, positioning, etc. The next day or two, my baby had her first checkup and we met w/ a nurse LC who I am forever grateful to for having helped me get thru the ordeal of BF. She told me how my baby was losing weight and a little jaundiced. She said I needed to feed more often and showed me how to position and latch better and what to look out for to make sure she was eating as she was a sleepy baby. She said we were being "too nice" in letting her sleep and to be more aggressive in waking her to eat since if we didn't she would literally wittle away. I took every word of advice from the LC to the T and followed it once we got home. We visited the LC for 3 days straight as every day showed marks of progress b/c i had followed the advice of the LC. I suffered the pain and engorgement for the next few weeks with even a bout of mastitis, but kept on despite it. To my amazement, I recovered w/o having to take antibiotics and my baby helped out by feeding as often as possible and pumping to get it out.

By the 1st month, things got so much better and my nipples had "toughened" and did not hurt as much anymore. BF became a great bonding experience for me and my daughter and i actually began to enjoy it and do to this day. I went thru days of despair and thoughts that I wouldn't make it due to worries of not pumping enough, fears of going back to work and not being able to BF as much as i would like to. I realized most mothers go thru those phases where they feel inadequate and want to give up. The biggest problem I've had to deal w/ was others not understanding my perseverance w/ BF as many came from the old skool of thought that breast milk might not be enough to nurture the baby, that i should supplement, etc. I was surprised at how i got some negative vibes from others esp. those from my mother's era (the 70's) where many women did not BF and used mainly formula. It was very frustrating but there were also the moms who have praised my efforts and were BF moms themselves who understood.

All I've got to say now is I've been successful in being able to provide for my daughter thru breast milk exclusively and am still amazed that I have made it this far. I hope to be able to continue until at least 6 months but ideally a year. I go back to work in a month and am planning to pump while at work but continue to BF when at home. I encourage any moms out there who are starting to BF, to keep trying and don't give up. It's all worth it for you and your baby in the end. I believe in getting as much support as u can especially from a LC. My LC was very aggressive on my first week of BF and that made all the difference and I attribute that to my success in BF. I noticed my daughter hasn't gotten sick considering these are the colder months and we've taken her out since she was less than 2 wks. old!! I blame it on the BF and am happy that she is getting the nutrients and immunities she needs from me. That's all that matters! I do believe that Breast is Best! If you can do it, DO IT!!
March 7th, 2008, 08:34 AM
Super Mommy
what a great story - thank you for sharing!

July 25th, 2008, 04:34 AM
Imanoone's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow that is so nice to hear that what you actually went through that you decided to continue! Good for you!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search