Could someone help me, please?

Forum: Graphic and Web Design

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Graphic and Web Design LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 25th, 2008, 08:05 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Hi, ladies! Sorry to barge in with a question...I tend to hang around the Blinkies board, but no one has answered this question today. I figured one of you would know.

One of my settings must have gotten messed up somehow, but I'm not sure what's going on...When I try to make my dots/dashes with the brush tool (for the blinking edges), the spacing is ALL messed up. I have it set just like usual - spacing is 201% - and I'm trying to do dashes, so I have roundness set on 25%. But instead of smooth dashes, I'm getting some dots, some dashes and varying spacing between. It's a mess.

Seems like it's done this before, but I don't remember how to fix it. Any ideas?

Thanks SO much!!
June 25th, 2008, 09:11 PM
rabbitranch's Avatar est. 2000
What program are you using? You may have to reload your brushes. Sounds like something went funky. If you're using Photoshop CS2 or CS3 you can also do dots/dashes using text on a path - it may be even quicker than using the paintbrush tool. Glad you came over here, we're always eager to try and help!

Heidi, mama to 4 kiddos and an lost 11.25.13 at 11w5d
June 25th, 2008, 10:08 PM
I'm pretty sure mine is PS7...definitely an older version. And I have NO clue how to reload brushes. Or how things went wrong, for that matter - one day it's fine, the next it isn't, and no one else uses my laptop. Guess I messed it up myself, huh?
June 26th, 2008, 07:09 AM
Sometimes things just get buggy in a program too, especially one as cumbersome as Photoshop. I know my bent photo action now adds a point in the middle of my bend on my photos - who knows why. Something corrupted. Your best bet would be to try and reload your brushes because it's an easy fix. I have Photoshop 7 on here in addition to CS2. To reload you would click on your paintbrush tool, and then when it brings up your brush options at the top, click on the arrow to open the options. Then click on the more arrow (top right) to bring up a list of brush options. If your problem brush is one that didn't originally come with Photoshop, click on Reset Brushes and your brush list will be restored to just the ones Photoshop came with. Then click on Load Brushes to load whatever brushes you want back on.

June 26th, 2008, 12:04 PM
Thanks so much for taking the time to help me! I reloaded the brushes, but that still didn't fix it. I thought I'd post a couple of pics in case maybe you saw something else that looked familiar?

I'm trying to make a blinkie with smooth dashes around the edges like this one:

But what I'm getting is this:

I'm using the shift key to draw a straight line of (supposed to be) dashes across, but they just break up all over the place. It's a typical square #2 brush, nothing fancy.

June 26th, 2008, 12:55 PM
Hmmm.....when you have your brush tool selected, do you see an option on the very far right of your top toolbar that looks like a square piece of paper with lines on it, and you run your mouse over it and it says, Toggle the Brushes Palette? Then you'll see a bunch of brush preset options like Shape Dynamics, Scattering, Texture, etc etc. See if you've somehow turned on a brush preset that's causing problems?

June 26th, 2008, 06:46 PM
Nope, nothing funky going on there either. That's where I usually go to change the settings to do the dashes - to Brush Tip Shape, to set roundness and angle, to go down the sides. The only thing checked there is Spacing, since I have it set to leave gaps between the dashes. And I always use 201%, so even that isn't any different.

Boy, when I mess something up, I do it right, don't I?!
June 26th, 2008, 09:13 PM
You're supposed to be making me look helpful here LOL. Let me see what else I can think of...

June 26th, 2008, 09:23 PM
Heehee...sorry. Graphics people DO like a challenge, right?!
June 27th, 2008, 06:52 AM
Hmm...are you sure you haven't accidentally checked something else? I played around in PS7 and was able to duplicate the variable dash sizes like you are getting by setting the Size Jitter under Shape Dynamics. This is in your Brushes palette, the third selection under Brush Presets and Brush Tip Shape. Try going into the Shape Dynamics and see if somehow your Size Jitter is not set at 0%. Even with my Shape Dynamics box unchecked, I still get funky results. Just go down your list of brush options and make sure everything is set to 0, whether you have it checked or not. Then we can go from there

June 27th, 2008, 08:20 AM
Still no luck. I got excited when I saw "scattering" set to 30%, but changed it and it had no effect. So everything is at zero, nothing is checked that shouldn't be...still getting funky dots and dashes.

I set the roundness back to 100% to see what would happen (still using the #2 square brush) and it won't make regular squares either - there are little chunks missing out of each one, in random places. Very strange.

It really seems like this has happened before and was an easy fix, and I'm kicking myself because I can't for *anything* think what it might have been!!
June 27th, 2008, 09:32 AM
Is this happening with all of your brushes, just the square brushes, or just the square size 2 brushes?

June 27th, 2008, 08:25 PM
AAAAAHHHHH!!!! I GOT IT!!! Totally thanks to you, though. I hadn't checked all the other brushes, so I went to changing types, and they were all fuzzy around the edges and doing funky things. That's when I noticed - right beside where I was changing brushes - that the mode had somehow gotten set to "dissolve" instead of "normal".

I knew it was something easy and dumb. Thank you so, so, so much for all your help - I probably would've never looked in that spot without you.
June 28th, 2008, 05:39 AM
Well I'm glad you got it fixed and thanks for being so charitable about my contributions I will remember this for you so next time it happens I will have an answer

June 28th, 2008, 09:31 AM
Thanks...I'm SURE it'll happen again, and SURE I won't remember what happened!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search