Design question

Forum: Graphic and Web Design

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Graphic and Web Design LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 2nd, 2009, 05:28 AM
~InHisHands~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What are the rules for snagging pics off the Internet & using them in a web page you design?

Okay, the guy that wants a website engraves concrete with beautiful designs using the engrave-a-crete system so any design on the engrave-a-crete site, this company can do. Now the customer doesn't want engrave-a-crete mentioned on their site. I looked at the engrave-a-crete site & found a lot of pics, some obviously copyright protected, some aren't. He wants me to use their pics so is it really stealing since if he provided pics they would be of almost the exact same thing? Oh, & I looked at several other websites (I can provide links if you would like) that does the same sort of concrete engraving & saw a lot of the same photos on ALL the websites. I even recognized some of the photos as copyrighted photos from the engrave-a-crete site with the copyright at the bottom cut off. One site left the copyright information attached to the images & displayed the pictures that way (so that you know it came from engrave-a-crete).

What's your advice... use copyrighted pictures with the copyright attached, force the customer to provide his own pics or no pics will be on the site, what?

A&A Art ~ My TTC Blog ~ My Pics

"Never confuse acceptance with approval. Without approving
all we do, Jesus accepts all who come to Him." ~
Rick Warren

CLICK HERE to read about my mission trip to Romania! CLICK HERE to see pics!
May 2nd, 2009, 06:21 AM
KrazE's Avatar ShutTheFrontDoor
Please contact the webmaster of the site with the pictures you are interesting in using. Ask how they would feel about another website using them, giving the owner the opportunity to say yes or no.
When material is copyrighted, you should request permission - if the answer is yes, then you are in the clear, if it's no, then you will need to find an alternate route.

Take the high road in this case. Your reputation of being honest when designing can hinge on whether or not you feel that people have the right to 'steal what they please' and neglect the fact that someone else has ownership of the things that you are using without permission.

What is Copyright Protection?

May 2nd, 2009, 07:37 AM
LadyViola's Avatar Mega-Super-Platinum Lady
^^^I agree.

May 3rd, 2009, 09:58 PM
CeiCei's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to CeiCei Send a message via MSN to CeiCei Send a message via Yahoo to CeiCei
My advice is to never use any photos, clip arts, etc. unless the client has written permission to use them. Even such popular logos as Target, WalMart, etc. should been given written permission to be used. KrazE is absolutely correct about contacting the webmaster for permission. Not having permission could become not only a problem for your reputation, but a very costly price if it becomes a legal issue.

My Three Princes: Cordell (23 y/o), Ernest (5 y/o), Robert (4 y/o)

May 4th, 2009, 04:36 AM
I did email the webmasters & no pics are currently on the site (other than the one that was there before I took it over but this image will change once I get some pics).

Okay, if you wanna check it out, here it is... Concrete Artists Home but go easy!

Also, it is done using templates (& honestly, I don't really like it... it's just stale & I would really like to add cellpadding to the tables but can't figure out how to do get to the HTML code with the SW that I am using) but I spent last night re-designing it from scratch in notepad (which is what I really want to do anyway) & so far like that design better (& I'm more proud of it). Oh, & I used Adobe Kuler to find a color scheme, Kristina! I wish I could share that re-design with you but not really sure how other than to post the code. If you wanna check it out you can copy it in notepad & check it out (BTW, this is only the home page)...

Code:
<html>
<head>
<!-- Wine Ruby color scheme -->
<title>Concrete Artists</title>

<style type="text/css">
body {background-color: #8C5627}
td {font color="#D99F6C"}

div.underline
{
text-decoration: underline
}

div.background
{
background-color: #D99F6C
}

td.bold
{
font color="#D99F6C"
font-weight: bold
}
</style>

</head>

<body>
<br><br>
<div align="center">
	<table class="left_nav" bgcolor="#610C07" width="80%" align="center" style="border: 2px solid black;">
          	<tr><td align="center"><font color="#D99F6C" size="6px"><strong><div class="underline">Concrete Artists</div>
				 	<font size="4px">Central Alabama's first decorative concrete contractor!</strong></font>
    		</td></tr>
    	</table>

<table width="80%" style="border: 2px solid black" cellpadding="3">
    		<tr>
			<td width="25%" height="356" align="top" valign="top" bgcolor="#610C07"> 
				<table class="left_nav" bgcolor="#610C07" width="100%" style="border: 0px solid black;">
          				<tr><td valign="top" style="background-color:#D99F6C; color: #610C07;"><b>Home</b></td> 
          				<tr><td valign="top" style="color: #D99F6C; background-color:#610C07" onMouseover="this.style.backgroundColor='#D99F6C'; this.style.color='#610C07'; this.style.cursor='hand'" onMouseout="this.style.backgroundColor='#610C07'; this.style.color='#D99F6C'; this.style.cursor='hand';"><b>Services</b></td>
          				</tr><tr><td valign="top" style="color: #D99F6C; background-color:#610C07" onMouseover="this.style.backgroundColor='#D99F6C'; this.style.color='#610C07'; this.style.cursor='hand'" onMouseout="this.style.backgroundColor='#610C07'; this.style.color='#D99F6C'; this.style.cursor='hand';"><b>Gallery</b></td>
          				</tr></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="color: #D99F6C; background-color:#610C07" onMouseover="this.style.backgroundColor='#D99F6C'; this.style.color='#610C07'; this.style.cursor='hand'" onMouseout="this.style.backgroundColor='#610C07'; this.style.color='#D99F6C'; this.style.cursor='hand';"><b>About Us</b></td>
          				</tr></tr><tr><td valign="top" style="color: #D99F6C; background-color:#610C07" onMouseover="this.style.backgroundColor='#D99F6C'; this.style.color='#610C07'; this.style.cursor='hand'" onMouseout="this.style.backgroundColor='#610C07'; this.style.color='#D99F6C'; this.style.cursor='hand';"><b>Contact Us</b></td>
          				</tr>
				</table>
			</td>
			<td width="80%" valign="top"><div align="left"> 
          		</p>
         	 	</div>
        		<div class="background" align="center" style="border: 2px solid black;">
				<p align="center"><font face="Comic Sans MS" size="3px" color="#610C07"> 
					Welcome to Concrete Artists, where we specialize in engraving, staining, polishing, and sealing of your interior and exterior concrete 					surfaces.  Concrete engraving is an innovative process that transforms ordinary concrete into a beautiful piece of art.
					<br> <br>
					<b>What is concrete engraving?</b>
					Concrete engraving is a process that cuts a design or pattern <b>into</b> existing concrete, not on top of it.  It is guaranteed to last 					the lifetime of the concrete and is easy to clean and maintain, using mild detergent and water.
					<br> <br>
					We can engrave custom one-of-a-kind designs right into your concrete or transform it into the elegant look of brick, tile, wood, or 					stone.  Concrete engraving not only enhances the beauty of your home or business but it also increases its value.  We work on 					residential, commercial, or sports floors, driveways, patios, pool decks, sidewalks, among many, many more.  We can create school logos 						or any other personalized design to meet your needs.
				</font><br></p>
			</div>
		</tr>
	</table>

</body>

</html>

Rick Warren

May 4th, 2009, 08:34 AM
LadyViola's Avatar Mega-Super-Platinum Lady
Thats a good start! I would definitely use CSS to style the links instead of the mouseover code. Also, do you have any graphics program, such as photoshop or gimp? If not download GIMP and do a google search for gimp tutorials. This will get you started with maybe designing a logo or some other graphics.

May 4th, 2009, 08:34 AM
Kilikina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Kilikina
yeah for Adobe Kuler

I will take a better look at the site and make my comments. Great job so far for your first.

"Splish splash I was taking a bath!"

I design custom photo cards and websites. For more
information please check my 2 websites:
http://www.designsbykristina.ca
http://www.q1media.net
or send me an email: kduverna@q1business.net

May 4th, 2009, 09:19 AM
CeiCei's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to CeiCei Send a message via MSN to CeiCei Send a message via Yahoo to CeiCei
I like it for your first job. Not bad at all. I do agree with the using of CSS. It does great for centering the website as well as helpful with SEO and future updating for the menu.

My Three Princes: Cordell (23 y/o), Ernest (5 y/o), Robert (4 y/o)

May 4th, 2009, 12:10 PM
You know, I think I'm going to take the home page that I redesigned & redesign it using CSS! I do have Adobe Photoshop Elements 2.something... don't know a whole lot about it though but I am learning.

Rick Warren

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search