2 more websites

Forum: Graphic and Web Design

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Graphic and Web Design LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 2nd, 2009, 08:15 AM
LadyViola's Avatar Mega-Super-Platinum Lady
I have 2 more websites I just finished up. Comments and critiques are welcome Once I finish my website, I'll be adding all these to it. I have a small portfolio online under my business name but I decided to just use my first and last name for my website instead, and I am designing a whole new site. Its a shame though because I havent had the time to get my own site finished.

Anywaysssss, here are my 2 latest pieces. (I do alot of work for churches by the way) These both are under heavy construction so please be aware you will see plenty of 404s if you start clicking. (You'll actually probably see the default wordpress installation). The backend for both of these is wordpress, which is my cms of choice (did I mention how much i LOVE wordpress??)

LINK

and

LINK

May 2nd, 2009, 10:32 AM
Kilikina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Kilikina
wow Lavece - you do some pretty awesome work. I really need to speak with you - you have awesome ideas. I just love it. You have log in pages on these - how did you do that. At first glance you can't tell these are wordpress sites. I wouldn't even know if you hadn't said they were. Awesome job girl. I love them. How do you design using wordpress. I never have yet. I thought you always had to use templates, well I guess someone designs the templates, but I thought there was some sort of standard or something. Anyway great job your awesome at this stuff.

"Splish splash I was taking a bath!"

I design custom photo cards and websites. For more
information please check my 2 websites:
http://www.designsbykristina.ca
http://www.q1media.net
or send me an email: kduverna@q1business.net

May 2nd, 2009, 12:34 PM
Thanks girl! You don't have to use templates with wordpress. What I do is I design the frontend using javascript, css, html, and php and then I just FTP my design into the wordpress template folder and then I go in and edit my html code using wordpress specific coding. Its more involved than that, but its really not very hard if you have a basic understanding of coding html and php. I figured out how to do it through lots of trial and error, but if you have any specific questions, just ask (it will save you tons of time and headaches). I've tried lots of other cms software, but wordpress is the easiest and most user friendly, in my personal opinion.

May 3rd, 2009, 11:11 AM
~InHisHands~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I 100% agree... WOW!!! Very nice! Okay, stupid question... what does cms stand for?

A&A Art ~ My TTC Blog ~ My Pics

"Never confuse acceptance with approval. Without approving
all we do, Jesus accepts all who come to Him." ~
Rick Warren

CLICK HERE to read about my mission trip to Romania! CLICK HERE to see pics!
May 3rd, 2009, 02:24 PM
CMS=content management system. A CMS is basically a way of dynamically showing page content rather than having to manually link up everything. If you have a 50 page website, it can be very tiring having to hand code every single page. The other spectacular thing about using cms is that customers can update their own websites and dont need to bother you every other day with updates. There are lots of cms's out there, some open source (free), and some you have to pay for. I personally would never pay for a cms simply because there are sooooo many open source cms's out there and most are just as good and alot even better than the paid for ones. Some of the more popular ones are wordpress, joomla, drupal, tinycms. There are lots out there!

May 3rd, 2009, 08:59 PM
Kilikina's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to Kilikina
Joomla and wordpress are the only 2 I have heard about.

I have never used a cms before so I guess maybe I will be asking alot of questions. Does anyone want to have a sticky made for using cms?

"Splish splash I was taking a bath!"

I design custom photo cards and websites. For more
information please check my 2 websites:
http://www.designsbykristina.ca
http://www.q1media.net
or send me an email: kduverna@q1business.net

May 3rd, 2009, 10:06 PM
CeiCei's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to CeiCei Send a message via MSN to CeiCei Send a message via Yahoo to CeiCei
I love your site. I am sooooooooo jealous. You should be very proud of the work you do.

I have one site of my own that I am putting together with Joomla and find it to be awesome! The only thing about Joomla I find a little difficult are the extensions. Some tend to be a little hard to understand on how to add them. But as far as adding pages and making the site your own, I love it.

Kilikina, I have been thinking about adding a sticky or subforum regarding CMS, but I have not yet thought how I would put that in play...any ideas?

I love your site. I am sooooooooo jealous. You should be very proud of the work you do.

I have one site of my own that I am putting together with Joomla and find it to be awesome! The only thing about Joomla I find a little difficult are the extensions. Some tend to be a little hard to understand on how to add them. But as far as adding pages and making the site your own, I love it.

Kilikina, I have been thinking about adding a sticky or subforum regarding CMS, but I have not yet thought how I would put that in play...any ideas?

My Three Princes: Cordell (23 y/o), Ernest (5 y/o), Robert (4 y/o)

May 11th, 2009, 03:56 PM
LaceyAnnLance Mommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to LaceyAnnLance Mommy Send a message via Yahoo to LaceyAnnLance Mommy
Oh my you are very good... I have only made websites through homestead since they are very easy and you don't need to know any codes... I know basic html but thats about it.. I want to do flash also but I know I have LOTS to learn and just not sure when I have the time.. lol But I wanted to tell you that you are very blessed with talent.. Not everyone can learn these things. I might be one of those.. lol

Thanks to Mom2*Lauryn*Jacob* for my beautiful siggy!!
May 18th, 2009, 03:54 PM
10x_A_Mommy's Avatar formerly mom_of_8
Those are great!! How did you do that with the pics on the first one, that's flash I assume? That's an area I haven't ventured into yet but would love to learn how to do that. Is that something I can do in Adobe Fireworks? I haven't played with that program too much yet.
Tristan ~ lost 2/6/03 @ 20 weeks

May 18th, 2009, 04:09 PM
CeiCei's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to CeiCei Send a message via MSN to CeiCei Send a message via Yahoo to CeiCei
Adobe Fireworks has a lot of great features to be honest. I use that more than I do Photoshop. My co-workers love Photoshop, but I have found that I can save a Fireworks file as Photoshop and it looks the same as if I did it in that program. I have even created drop down menus easily in fireworks and it works well if you have Dreamweaver.

Anyhow, I do believe that Fireworks allows you to create a animated files and convert it to swf. I will look into it for you.

Adobe Fireworks has a lot of great features to be honest. I use that more than I do Photoshop. My co-workers love Photoshop, but I have found that I can save a Fireworks file as Photoshop and it looks the same as if I did it in that program. I have even created drop down menus easily in fireworks and it works well if you have Dreamweaver.

Anyhow, I do believe that Fireworks allows you to create a animated files and convert it to swf. I will look into it for you.

My Three Princes: Cordell (23 y/o), Ernest (5 y/o), Robert (4 y/o)

May 18th, 2009, 05:38 PM
Actually I use Swishmax. Its alot more afforable than adobe's flash programs and I found it very easy to learn.

May 18th, 2009, 07:26 PM
Thanks! I have photoshop as well but haven't played with it too much, I'm so used to Paint Shop that's it's hard to get used to Photoshop lol. I need to though, I know it will benefit me more once I can get the hang of it.

I'll play around in Fireworks too (I have Dreamweaver as well).

May 19th, 2009, 09:00 AM
LadyViola - I was wondering if you could help me learn how you did the picture on the first site? I've looked around in Fireworks and Swishmax but I'm lost lol.

May 21st, 2009, 02:56 PM
Mama2six, this effect is easily accomplished in swishmax. Takes maybe 10 minutes to learn. I'll post a tutorial for you!

May 22nd, 2009, 05:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyViola View Post
Mama2six, this effect is easily accomplished in swishmax. Takes maybe 10 minutes to learn. I'll post a tutorial for you!
Thank you so much!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search