Monday Moans - 5.4.09

Forum: Graphic and Web Design

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Graphic and Web Design LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 3rd, 2009, 11:04 PM
CeiCei's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to CeiCei Send a message via MSN to CeiCei Send a message via Yahoo to CeiCei
Today, is my first day back to work after a 10 day vacation so I know before the day is over I will have several moans. What are your moans? What projects are you working on that you find difficult? Or what clients are driving you nuts? Complain about them here.

My Three Princes: Cordell (23 y/o), Ernest (5 y/o), Robert (4 y/o)

May 4th, 2009, 11:16 AM
LadyViola's Avatar Mega-Super-Platinum Lady
I've got a customer that has literally been emailing me everyday asking the status on their website design. I always tell them how long it may take and that design takes time (good design anyway). One of my pet peeves is when customers harass me and try to micro-manage. It makes it very difficult to design. At least for me.

May 4th, 2009, 10:53 PM
Send a message via AIM to CeiCei Send a message via MSN to CeiCei Send a message via Yahoo to CeiCei
I know what you mean. At my job we tell clients that there is a turnaround time for updates of 7 to 10 business day. Many of our clients tend to submit outrageous requests and expect it to be completed right then and there. They will call our customer service rep and complain about why they don't understand it's not done yet. Then they will call on a daily basis until it is done. And when I say outrageous I mean something like adding 5 full pages of text throughout the site which was originally sent by the client in PDF format that we cannot convert. Oh and include about 50 before and after photos they want in flash.

May 5th, 2009, 09:06 AM
I think sometimes the customer does not know the work involved in doing web design. I think they must believe its like typing an email or something. Just copy and paste. Let me tell you about a customer I had a few weeks ago. They needed a 72 page book for a church anniversary. With it they needed me to design the front and back book cover. No problem. They sent me bits of info for the pages here and there over the period of a few days. Keep in mind that they contacted me about a month before they actually needed it. They decided they were not going to send me the actual info until a few days before the agreed upon completion date. Get this: after they had sent the last document, they emailed me the NEXT day asking for an update. I told them they would need to be patient as they had JUST sent me the info I needed. I was like there is no way that anyone could design a 72 page book in a matter of a day or so. Totally unrealistic. The part that made me mad was they were acting like I was moving slow. Then when I was finished, and sent them the finished book in pdf, they decided they wanted to change some text on like almost all the pages. It was pretty ridiculous. Of course they got an additional charge for all the double work they made me do.

May 5th, 2009, 10:00 AM
Oh my goodness. That would frustrate me too. I had a client like that before I went on vacation. The original request was to create a coupon that patients could download from their homepage. No problem except they had no idea how they wanted it. Normally, we ask them to send the coupon and we just put it in a PDF. Well I spent like a week putting their coupon together using Fireworks using the sample coupon they sent me. Then I waited about two weeks to get an approval, but they wanted to completely change the text and make it vertical instead of horizontal. This mean doing it completely over! I was frustrated. Then it took another two weeks for them to email me a PDF of exactly what they wanted instead, but wanted a few text changes that I had to correct in Adobe Illustrator. So, basically all that hard work I did was a waste of complete time.

May 5th, 2009, 10:43 AM
Ughhhhh. ok here is what I don't get: if you know what you want, why not tell me when I ask you?! I always always ask customers before I start designing if they have preferences (such as colors) or if they are looking for something specific. It drives me nuts when they say they have no clue what they want or they give me creative freedom, and then after I create the design, all of a sudden, they have an "idea".

May 5th, 2009, 10:51 AM
That is the typical client thing at my job. I have a call in our Flash bucket right now where we were given freedom and now the client wants us to completely change what we did. They don't realize that flash isn't easy. And to get them to understand that all that information in flash slows down loading time is impossible. This is what I have to deal with today.

Right now I have to go through tons of folders to find a flash source file to do a simple correction, but past webmasters never saved the source file correctly. I have to read and redo menus and so forth to get it to look like it does on the site right now. Man!

That is the typical client thing at my job. I have a call in our Flash bucket right now where we were given freedom and now the client wants us to completely change what we did. They don't realize that flash isn't easy. And to get them to understand that all that information in flash slows down loading time is impossible. This is what I have to deal with today.

Right now I have to go through tons of folders to find a flash source file to do a simple correction, but past webmasters never saved the source file correctly. I have to read and redo menus and so forth to get it to look like it does on the site right now. Man!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search