Tips on building my first website?

Forum: Graphic and Web Design

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Graphic and Web Design LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
January 19th, 2010, 09:50 AM
Joliving4Jesus's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Joliving4Jesus Send a message via Yahoo to Joliving4Jesus
Does anyone have any tips for me? I am an aspiring photographer looking to start building my website and would love to be steered in the right direction. I am pretty good in photoshop which is where I was going to start trying to build it but I still need lots of help! Maybe direct me to some good tutorials here or elsewhere, that would be great, thanks!

January 23rd, 2010, 09:06 PM
amandabee's Avatar Veteran
If you know how to use Photoshop, all you need to do is learn FTP. I own my own "myspace resource" website. I love it. First you need to buy a domain name - I buy mine from Godaddy.com, then you need to choose a webhost. There are MANY free ones out there. If you ever need any help, just let me know. I'd love to teach you the basics
January 25th, 2010, 08:23 PM
CeiCei's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to CeiCei Send a message via MSN to CeiCei Send a message via Yahoo to CeiCei
If you have Photoshop then you are starting in the right place. If you have Adobe CS3 or CS4 you can even use Photoshop to create the design and incorporate it with Dreamweaver which great. The designers I work with create every site we host using this method. I also recommend buying a domain name for your site. As far as free hosting site, there are a lot that should help with the basics things you need to get started. Personally, I have favored Freehostia.com and Netfirms.com they both are excellent for free web hosting.

I am not sure if you are familiar with web design at all, but if not I would highly recommend taking a look at W3Schools.com (W3Schools Online Web Tutorials). This is the bible to most web designers when it comes knowing html, css, etc.

I will be more than glad to help you if you need any further assistance.

My Three Princes: Cordell (23 y/o), Ernest (5 y/o), Robert (4 y/o)

February 17th, 2010, 08:59 PM
EagleNest01's Avatar Bird Dog
The one suggestion Iw ould make is keep your material highly organized on yoru computer. Not just where you can easily navigate to it, btu where you can have your computer easily navigate through it. She's right about the W3Schools, they are simply the best, although for my style of learning, sometimes they confuse me. I prefer a more conversational approach to learning any code. I too am willing to help, especially since you cna go from basic to overly complicated quickly. I am still a fledgling learner, but the mroe I learn, the more I want to learn.

Don't worry about trying to make an overly professional site. Keep it simple, especially at first. You will want to review and revise the site a hundred times. There is what is called CSS that will allow you to do this more efficently later, but the basics come first. PageResource Dot Com is another great site to look at. Between the W3 and this one, I can usually figure out what I am trying to do. Good luck! Sorry I can't link, I don't have my ten required posts yet to do that!
February 19th, 2010, 09:26 AM
I recommend mapping out your site beforehand, as a common practice I like to sketch up my site so that way when I go to design/code it I don't have to be like " Ok maybe Ill have content over here, and pictures over here with my navigation on the side..."

Laying it out IMHO is step one, Step Two equals execute, visualize the feel and look your going for, do you want subtle colors, simple clean.... or do you want Snazzy,bright seamless design... Once you get those two things done start designing away..

Just remember web design is all about SIZE OPTIMIZATION, meaning keep it small, keep it fast... The smaller your files the faster a machine will load it therefore not shunning away viewers who still might be running a slow machine or network..

There are many shortcuts one can learn but learn the basics first and don't try to go too fast Some people like designing in Photoshop and "slicing" up the site which is quite easy but I recommend watching tutorials before doing so. W3Schools IS a very good site, but Im with Eagle doesnt quite fit my learning style.. Usually if I can't find a video tutorial on it ill rely on weblinks because I am a visual learner..

www[dot]tutvid[dot]com is a good freelance guy who hosts his tutorials...check him out.

Lastly I would take the time once you get more established to read up on JQuery/Java... these will incoporate into your site with minimal code but create dramatic interactive effects that are PERFECT for galleries and virtually anything you can imagine...

Im here if you need any advice too but seems you shouldn't have a problem with that Good Luck!!
March 15th, 2010, 08:52 PM
Sketch a site out with a pen first. It's easier to sketch out your ideas on paper first where its easy to throw out your mistakes!

Just draw it and figure out how to make it later.

Hire somebody or design it in photoshop or whatever.

But paper is critical!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search