How do you work out your fees?

Forum: Graphic and Web Design

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Graphic and Web Design LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 22nd, 2010, 01:47 AM
Misty_X's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Do you charge per hour, do you have certain rates for certain kinds of design or does it vary on a client by client basis?

~ Thank you Patty for my awesome siggy! ~

Co-Host of
General Spirituality | TTC with Endo
Group Leader/Co-Leader of:
Peestick Addicts * Chemical Pregnancy * Got Guinea Pigs? * JM Games Addicts
Addicted to Hosting * Dreamer's Den * Horror Flic Chics

* Come and read the JM Blogs! * | * Visit My Blog on JM! *

July 28th, 2010, 06:05 PM
CeiCei's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to CeiCei Send a message via MSN to CeiCei Send a message via Yahoo to CeiCei
For me it is a combination of things. Logos and Graphics are usually hourly. Some Printwork I usually charge a specific fee, but it depends on materials used (if that makes any sense at all). Web Design I charge on an individual basis. I do have a specific fee, but I generally go by what the client is actually looking for.

My Three Princes: Cordell (23 y/o), Ernest (5 y/o), Robert (4 y/o)

July 30th, 2010, 03:49 AM
Misty_X's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Both my DH and I find setting fees really difficult - we don't want to charge too much and lose business but we don't want to undercharge for our work. I usually charge a set fee for a website design or redesign with additional work afterwards at a set hourly fee, the same for print design in terms of the actual design with materials on top.

~ Thank you Patty for my awesome siggy! ~

Co-Host of
General Spirituality | TTC with Endo
Group Leader/Co-Leader of:
Peestick Addicts * Chemical Pregnancy * Got Guinea Pigs? * JM Games Addicts
Addicted to Hosting * Dreamer's Den * Horror Flic Chics

* Come and read the JM Blogs! * | * Visit My Blog on JM! *

January 7th, 2011, 03:38 PM
I think the best way to price freelance jobs is to split them into two categories - hourly and piecework. Piecework - I will usually do for branding and layout (especially if it is the first time working with the client). Any job carrying forth from that client would then be switched over to hourly as maintenance. I do this because it allows me and the client (pressure free) to work out how to best communicate with eachother. I must not though- within the piecework estimate, I do put a clause in stating that after two rounds of revisions, additional fees can be applied (just in case the client is difficult).

February 19th, 2011, 10:09 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I do a flat fee, basing different types of projects on how much time I expect them to take. Hourly gets too complicated for me. I prefer for both the customer and myself to know from the start how much it will cost, and not have to worry about the clock.
March 25th, 2011, 02:08 PM
ccartanddesign's Avatar With Faith
I try to determine up front how many hours it will take me. It was hard at first but I generally have at least some idea. Then I multiply it by my hourly rate. I don't want to lose business either but I don't want to participate in undervaluing what we all spent time and money on learning to become professionals with skills that are rather specialized.

I do have a lower set fee for web design for non-profits. I seem to get a lot of non-profits.
Me-38 DH-38. TTC #1 since August 2009
2/2011 - IUI + Femara + HCG trigger and Progesterone injection BFN
3/2011 - IUI + Femara + HCG trigger and Progesterone injection
4/2011 - not doing IUI - DH out of town
5/2011 - IUI with Femara and HCG trigger. In hospital due to infection from IUI.
Took a break from all meds this summer.
9/2011: - Start with new RE - testing begins.
10/2011: - Hysteroscopy - determine tubes are blocked.
10/2011 : - Laparoscopy - clip blocked tubes, determine right ovary is adhered to pelvic wall, cut adhesions
11/24/2011: IVF cycle #1 begins. Start stims.
12/2/2011: End stims. HCG trigger.
12/4/2011: Egg Retrieval. 9 eggs, only 1 embryo.
12/7/2011: Transfer.
12/20/2011: IVF #1 failed.
1/16/2012: IVF #2 first scan
"Humanly speaking, it is impossible. But with God everything is possible." Matt. 19:26

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search