Changing web hosts

Forum: Graphic and Web Design

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Graphic and Web Design LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 26th, 2010, 02:30 AM
Misty_X's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Have you ever changed hosting providers? Did the change go smoothly or were there issues?

I am about to change my hosting provider and I am concerned that they will give me trouble. I used to be really happy with my provider, I've used them for 6 years, but over the last year their service has gone downhill and I don't trust them not to mess this up

~ Thank you Patty for my awesome siggy! ~

Co-Host of
General Spirituality | TTC with Endo
Group Leader/Co-Leader of:
Peestick Addicts * Chemical Pregnancy * Got Guinea Pigs? * JM Games Addicts
Addicted to Hosting * Dreamer's Den * Horror Flic Chics

* Come and read the JM Blogs! * | * Visit My Blog on JM! *

July 28th, 2010, 05:59 PM
CeiCei's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to CeiCei Send a message via MSN to CeiCei Send a message via Yahoo to CeiCei
Depending on who your web host is and if they at all maintain your website, you shouldn't have any problems moving your website to another. The main thing you should make sure you look into is when your service is up with the web host. It could cause issue regarding your domain.

My Three Princes: Cordell (23 y/o), Ernest (5 y/o), Robert (4 y/o)

July 30th, 2010, 03:46 AM
Misty_X's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The problem is that my hosting company also supplied the domain name. They actually took over the company I originally purchased it from and I am worried they won't change the pointers on the domain. I cannot change domain providers because when they took over the company they transfered all contact details for the domain to their own address and email address so they do not pass on correspondance about changing the domain owner. The downturn of the company has only happened in the last couple of years

~ Thank you Patty for my awesome siggy! ~

Co-Host of
General Spirituality | TTC with Endo
Group Leader/Co-Leader of:
Peestick Addicts * Chemical Pregnancy * Got Guinea Pigs? * JM Games Addicts
Addicted to Hosting * Dreamer's Den * Horror Flic Chics

* Come and read the JM Blogs! * | * Visit My Blog on JM! *

July 30th, 2010, 06:17 AM
CeiCei's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to CeiCei Send a message via MSN to CeiCei Send a message via Yahoo to CeiCei
They can't keep your domain as long as you pay for it. You might lose any emails you have on their server, but the domain name is yours. You will need to get a transfer key and have them unlock it in order to transfer you domain. But it is best you figure out who you are going to transfer to. And if they give you a hard time I would report them to the BBB.

My Three Princes: Cordell (23 y/o), Ernest (5 y/o), Robert (4 y/o)

August 31st, 2010, 01:44 PM
Jintana's Avatar Dragoness
Assuming everything's all paid up, they should be able to switch the contact info for the domain from them to you. (Who shows up if you WHOIS?) -- if it's THEIR info on it when you switch, they can withhold it.. if it's YOURS, all correspondence will go to you and then they can't mess with you.

If you're switching webhosts, get comfy in your new digs before cancelling the old.

December 30th, 2010, 09:26 AM
Shadeauxe's Avatar It's me
If you own the domain, you need to switch yourself to the technical contact. Then you'll be able to override the DNS servers to point to your new host.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search