After searching through posts I have a question

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 11th, 2008, 10:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to GinaOfAllTrades
First of all I will introduce myself (can't remember if I have yet or not). I am Gina, married to Jason and mom to 3 boys... Alex will be 9 in September, Tj will be 9 in October, and Sam will be 2 in August.

Now onto my question. DH and I have been attending our church for a little over a year. Before that neither of us ever attended church. I believe in God and all but I just wasn't raised in the church so I can't quote scripture like some of you ladies and am pretty lost on certain parts of the bible as well. Recently our pastor has been talking of baptism and getting ready to baptise those that are ready. I have been pondering this for quite some time. I want to be baptised but I am scared to. I know this sounds silly but I have always heard that in order to be saved you had to "give your life to the Lord" and in my mind for some reason I feel as though once I get baptised I will die. Not immediately that is just absurd but soon after. Like I said I know it is silly because I know all these people who have been baptised for years now and they are still fine but I am scared to death. I am actually scared OF death as well. I am scared that something will happen to me before I get baptised and then I won't get into Heaven.

Is there anyone here that did not grow up in the church that later accepted the Lord in their lives that may have some insight on what it was like for you?
July 12th, 2008, 12:13 AM
~*Dina*~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I grew up in and out of church but I didnt get baptized until I was an adult and knew exactly what I was doing, and why. I think that your fears are totally normal, and the best thing I would suggest to do is pray about it, talk w/your pastor about your fears.
Its nice to meet you btw, welcome to CP. I'm Dina wife to Ron for 11 years and mama to Caitlyn (10) Matthew (will be 8 in 2 weeks) and Hannah (3) I hope you stick around so we can all get to know you better.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

July 12th, 2008, 05:51 AM
dettmer26's Avatar I have issues....
Send a message via MSN to dettmer26 Send a message via Yahoo to dettmer26
Hi Gina! Dina has some GREAT advice!! When I went through a major bought of anxiety, a couple years ago, I was so scared to die as well. I still don't "love" the idea (I don't think anyone really does). All we can do is Trust in Him and know that we will truly go to a better place. And that we will see our loved ones again someday. I would follow Dina's advice and talk to your Pastor. I wanted to get Baptized for a couple years before I actually did (last summer). I just all of the sudden felt a "peace" about it. You will too, and then you will know it is the right time.

I am Jessica, one of the co-hosts here. I want to warmly welcome you here and feel free to add yourself to the birthday sticky above. Ask as many questions as you need, and post away! So glad you are here!

::: My Siggies :::PM me with Requests:::

Want a personalized greeting card, invite or announcement? Visit my blog! http://www.dettmerdesigns.blogspot.com
July 13th, 2008, 04:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I would definitely talk with your pastor about your fears. I think everyone is afraid of death to some extent. Pray about your decision to be baptized and the Lord will lead you to do His will. I was baptized as a child and accepted the Lord as my Savior when I was young, so my situation is much different than yours. With everything I went through with my firstborn son, Isaac, who went to heaven at almost six months of age, I can honestly say I am not as scared of death anymore. If my beautiful son as gone through it and he was so young, then I have to trust the Lord and His plan for my life.

eta: I came back to add that I'm nervous about losing Noah and still deal with a lot of anxiety over that, but that's b/c I've already lost a child. Sometimes, it's hard to trust God. I've definitely learned that, but we just need to hold onto Him and He will take care of us. He has a plan for us and loves us.

Thank you, Jessica/dettmer26, for my new siggy!

July 13th, 2008, 10:47 AM
Leigha24's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The other ladies have given great advice. I would definitely talk to your pastor about your fears. I'm a big believer in not letting fear determine your actions, but the Lord. If God is leading you to be baptized, then He'll lead you through it.

Hello and Welcome! I hope you find all the support you need here, and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask

Thank you *Kiliki* for my beautiful sig!!!

July 13th, 2008, 01:20 PM
dinamommy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know that you probably already know this, but "giving your life to God" means that you are no longer in charge of it, He is. Asking Jesus to be your Savior and Lord means that you agree to trust Him and his will for your life. Baptism does represent a sort of "death". It is a death to your old life and a resurrection to a new life in Christ. When you go down into the water, that is like the death and burial and then when you are raised from the water, that is you as a new creation. Jesus does ask us to die to our old lives and have new life in Him. It is so much better than before we have Him in our lives. Like someone else said, I too was a little girl when I got saved and then baptised so my situation was different from yours. It seems as if you are having a hard time with the conotation of giving your life to Christ. Although you may never bea sked to die for your faith (thank the Lord you live where you do), you ARE asked to completely trust Christ with your whole self. I have no idea if I'm making any sense at all to you, but I hope this will help somewhat.

~Stacey

Baby and little girls' leg warmers: http://www.etsy.com/shop/SassyStitchesStacey

July 14th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks ladies. You all have been a big help. Yesterday DH got baptized and it really helped me see things clearly. The pastor was telling everyone about what baptism is and why we do it and he actually explained it in a way that I have never really heard it explained before. It was quite simple too. Stacey, he pretty much said what you explained above; I am not thinking I am going to die now. I still have issues with dying obviously but I realize now that it is silly of me to think I will die because I was baptized.
July 14th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Sunshine412's Avatar Veteran
Stacey (Dinamommy) is correct that you will die to your old life of sin, and be raised to walk in newness of life with Christ.

I know some verses that might help you understand a little better:
Romans 6:3-18
Acts 2:38
Acts 22:16
Acts 8:35-39

I also suggest reading the book of Luke to get to know Jesus better. This will definitely help with faith in Christ! (The link is only for the first chapter of the book of Luke.)

I also suggest reading the book, "Is Baptism Really Necessary?" by Dan Chambers. He looks at all aspects of baptism in a 48 page, easy to read book. I just read it a couple of weeks ago, and I was really impressed with the information and scriptures he uses in presenting this topic.

Congratulations on your Husband being baptized into Christ, and I'll pray for your understanding so you, too, may be baptized!
July 16th, 2008, 11:38 PM
babydollz_676's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to babydollz_676
well the other ladies have given you the perfect advice and don't feel bad ,i can't quote scripture either lol but i will tell you i now have a much better understanding of the bible now that i got the NIV (new international version) sometimes i do compare it with king james though just to see the difference and make sure i'm interpreting it the right way.i went to churchas a child but never really paid much attenton.i was baptised by full emmersion at 12 but i didn't really get was i was doing because my parents didn't make sure i understood.my pastor said i can be baptised again if i want to but that i don't HAVE to.all i needed to do was repent and ask God back into my heart.my husband grew up catholic and then became agnostic so now that he has found God ,he will be baptised.1 of my daughters gets baptised this sunday so i'll post pics. i'll pray for you
dd~1
July 17th, 2008, 06:17 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Thank you. DH just got re baptized this past Sunday. He said that he thinks he did it as a kid for the wrong reasons and wanted to be rebaptized. That is one thing I love about our pastor, he will talk to everyone especially the kids to make sure they understand what it is that they are doing and if he doesn't think they quite understand than he will make them wait until they truly know.
July 24th, 2008, 08:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to JessicaPalmi Send a message via Yahoo to JessicaPalmi
I know I am kind of late in on this one...but I am Jessica, I used to be pretty active on the board, but life has happened and I just have had barely enough time to do anything these days on the computer...anyhow...

I was not raised in the church, neither of my parents are Christians. I was for the most part discouraged from going to church from my father until my folks split up and then I started going to church mainly to spite my father. It is amazing how God used my rebellion to bring me to my knees and renew my life through Christ.

I get what you are talking about as far as baptism goes. It is difficult to let go of that last and final step sometimes. Its kind of like once you have let go you have no control anymore and sometimes, especially to women it is really scary.

I did not get baptised until I was about 4 years into my walk. No one had ever really explained what baptism was and I did not understand it. So I did not do it bc I wanted to understand first. When my pastor explained it as, I had asked Christ into my heart and the baptism was a symbol of my sinful self being buried away and me coming to new life, it made so much more sense and I was baptised on Easter of 2003. And I can say, that I have felt inadequete in many Christian circles because I was not raised in a church and did not know what they did and so forth. But the second I was done with my baptism, I felt different. It was as though it was now set in my mind, hey, I really am a new creation in Christ, and my walk has been stronger.

One thing to remember as far as dying goes, if you are a believer in Christ, you will not be taken out until God is done using you to complete your purpose in life. And besides, even if something were to happen, when you die, you are leaving this earth and going home to Him! Awesome thought huh?! I am not saying that you need to be in a rush to leave and go home or anything. But I am a person who for years have struggled with panic attacks about accidents and death and stuff like that. And I have taken solace in knowing that no matter what, I may leave this earth, but I am going home to my Abba

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search