Being a Godly Wife

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 14th, 2008, 12:30 PM
~InHisHands~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
“So God created man in his own image … male and female he created them.” - Genesis 1:27

How are we like God? How are we different? What qualities did He give us that we share with our creator?

Hint for those who want it - review Genesis 1 & 2 (although the entire Bible can be used/referenced).

A&A Art ~ My TTC Blog ~ My Pics

"Never confuse acceptance with approval. Without approving
all we do, Jesus accepts all who come to Him." ~
Rick Warren

CLICK HERE to read about my mission trip to Romania! CLICK HERE to see pics!
November 17th, 2008, 02:54 AM
Before discussing the qualities that our creator shares with us let me at least mention the qualities that belong to only Him. God alone is infinite, changeless, immense, & sovereign. Those qualities listed as shared qualities include His holiness, righteousness (2 Corinthians 5:21), truth, love, mercy, patience, & goodness.

What were Adam & Eve called to do in order to get a sense of how they were to represent Him?

Rick Warren

November 19th, 2008, 02:14 PM
God called Adam & Eve to:
  • rule (Adam ruled over creation by naming all the animals & by observing God's creation. Men & women are called to work & rule in His world under His authority & for His glory & our happiness. Wives who are helping their husbands rule are also growing in God's call on their lives)
  • relate (Both men & women are the same in essence (like the members of the Godhead: Father, Son, & Holy Ghost - all are equally God but yet different in their functions) yet we have different callings. We are both called to first glorify God & reflect Him to the rest of His creation)
  • reproduce (Genesis 1:28 "Be fruitful & increase in number; fill the earth & subdue it". He has called us to have children.)
  • reflect (Genesis 1:31 "God saw all that he had made, and it was very good". Like Him, we reflect on or ponder the rightness of all we see although our judgement may be & can be wrong at times while His never is. Men & women together reflect God's nature of diversity & unity - Genesis 2:18 "It is not good for the man to be alone".)
  • rejoice (The ability & desire to praise what brings us pleasure is a reflection of the adoration that exists within the Trinity. As you notice in Genesis 2:23 Adam rejoices when God made woman, "This is now bone of my bones & flesh of my flesh; she shall be called 'woman' for she was taken out of man.")
  • rest (Genesis 2:2 "By the seventh day God had finished the work he had been doing; so on the seventh day he rested from all his work". God blessed the 7th day & set it apart so that man could fellowship with his Creator & observe His great acts.)
In what ways do we, as women reflect Him by:
  • Ruling? How can you use your specific gifts within your sphere of influence to bring your *garden* under God's rule?
  • Relating? How can you help your DH relate to others in a more God-honoring way?
  • Reproducing? Who has God placed in your life to nurture? How can you reproduce those qualities that the Spirit is working on in you in others?
  • Reflecting? How are you growing in loving God more? What areas of interest has God given you that you might pursue for His glory & the good of others?
  • Rejoicing? How much time do you spend praising Him for those qualities & for who He is?
Let me start off this discussion by saying that personally regarding relating, as women we can be the spiritual role model even if our DH isn't that spiritual yet - as he sees Jesus in you, over time I believe he'll want that & turn to Jesus. We can in many ways bring our DHs to the Lord by doing this. Although the man is called to be the spiritual leader it seems more like more women are more spiritual & we tend to lead our DHs to heaven. My DH is a Christian but does the bare minimum in regards to church & doing things for the Lord. He's a wonderful person but I wish he were more of a spiritual leader so I am doing my part as the Godly wife, praying it'll rub off on him & he'll step up when the time is right!

Rick Warren

November 21st, 2008, 06:40 AM
The Lord God said, "It is not good for the man to be alone. I will make a helper suitable for him." - Genesis 2:18

What was God's purpose in creating Eve for Adam? Was she created solely for reproduction or was she created for more?

How does God mean for you (personally) to be a companion for your DH? Think about what your DH's calling is & then answer the question how are you to *help* him fullfill his calling?

Rick Warren

November 27th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Eve complemented Adam physically, intellectually, & morally because she was made from him. She wasn't exactly like him but she complemented & harmonized with him. She was not beneath him nor superior to him but his equal. She was created to be his partner, equally in God's image & called to glorify Him.

But what if your DH isn't a christ follower? Remember that no one is beyond the touch of the Holy Spirit & that God may be preparing you to be the means He uses to enliven your DH to His God-given calling.

What does it mean to be a helper? Do you feel like being a helper is beneath you? A helper, IMO, is a title which I honor & cherish. There is much more to it than just cooking & cleaning for our DHs.

God is our helper! Being a helper is one way we can mirror & glorify our Lord. What does the Bible mean by "helper"? He protects, aids, supports, & surrounds us. He comes to our aid in times of distress. Wow!!! God does this for us & we are called to do the same for our DH! Are you excited? I am!!!

Please read over the following scriptures that speak of the help offered by the Lord:
* Psalm 54:4
* Psalm 86:16-17
* Isaiah 41:10
* Psalm 37:40
* Psalm 28:7

What can we learn from the scriptures about our calling as a helper? A godly wife sustains & upholds her DH. She strengthens, comforts, & protects him. She wants to dispel his fears by being gracious & trustworthy. In her heart he finds shelter & protection from the world & a companion who offers him help in his calling from the Lord.

The Holy Spirit is a helper! The Holy Spirit was sent to us to comfort, consol, counsel, & intercede for us.

New Testament women helpers:
* Phoebe
* Priscilla

What specific ways has God called your DH to rul & how can you help him with that calling?
What does your DH spend time thinking about or reflecting on & how can you help sharpen his thinking or make it more productive thinking?
What can you do to bring Godly joy into your relationship?
How can you make your life together a place of harmony & God-centered worship?
What influences can you bring to him that would help him glorify God?

Rick Warren

March 6th, 2009, 05:46 PM
Evenblindly's Avatar lost 28lbs in 90 days!
Send a message via Yahoo to Evenblindly
I really enjoyed that! are you going to be doing any more of these?

And I do it FREE check out more info ----->> http://jessicakopac.myvi.net/
Thank you Vicki for my AWESOME siggy!!

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/evenblindly?ref=tn_tnmn

"I will walk by faith, even when i cannot see! because this broken road prepares your will for me"
March 7th, 2009, 05:18 AM
I'm not sure. Technically I'm not finished with that one. I just kinda stopped in the middle of it b/c no one was participating. Thus, I thought no one was getting anything out of it so I just stopped (plus I was getting rather busy with life) but if you are getting something out of it I can gladly start up again (I'm resigning from my job & my last day is Friday (3/13) so if I do start it up it won't be for at least another week or two). Once this study is complete I already have another book to guide me in doing a study on Godly Women in the Bible.

Rick Warren

May 26th, 2009, 11:45 AM
m.and.a
If this subject interests you, I would suggest Fireproofing your marriage. The first lesson covers this topic and these verses.
June 2nd, 2009, 07:04 PM
CeiCei's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to CeiCei Send a message via MSN to CeiCei Send a message via Yahoo to CeiCei
Amanda I have been busy lately, but I had a chance to look at things today. I am copying all of this and adding it to my cellphone so I can use it on my breaks and other free times I have. Great information so far. Thanks Amanda.

My Three Princes: Cordell (23 y/o), Ernest (5 y/o), Robert (4 y/o)

June 16th, 2009, 04:21 AM
Anyone who would like to continue THIS Bible study can check out the book... Amazon.com: Helper by Design: God's Perfect Plan for Women in Marriage: Elyse Fitzpatrick: Books. This study has come straight from the book.

Rick Warren

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search