"Proof" God exists.

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 4th, 2009, 05:01 PM
LindseyB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to LindseyB
What do you say when people ask you how you know that there is a God. I've been asked this question many, many times.

I know many Christians do not believe in "creation" and think its just a theory, so please don't be offended by my post if you are not a creationist.

Here are some of my answers:

Look in the mirror.

Take a physiology class--it will blow your mind. That stuff doesn't happen by itself. Study the sodium/potassium channels in the neurons in your brain for a few weeks. You still won't fully understand them.

Where else would the universe and all the galaxies come from? The Big Bang Theory doesn't explain that, nor does evolution. The Earth is only a small peon in the entire universe.

The fact that an embryo has a heartbeat approximately 21 days from conception.

I'd love to hear some of yours.

[

FOLLOW ME @ http://www.sweetnsourmom.blogspot.com
August 4th, 2009, 05:39 PM
mommy2tns's Avatar real & spectacular.
Send a message via MSN to mommy2tns
I say "how do you know there isn't?"

Thank you so much *Kiliki* for another amazing siggy!
August 4th, 2009, 07:22 PM
m.and.a
Lindsey, I think you'll love the book The Case For Faith by Lee Strobel. I rave about this book all the time.

I've only had this question asked of me once, and that was a while ago. I don't remember exactly what I said, but I know my answer was shocking. Basically, I believe that when we study His Word, when we pray, when we worship Him, our hearts come closer in tune with him. I know that there is a God because he speaks to me- not in actual words of course, and it is hard to explain to someone who doesn't believe in God. Actually, when I talk about it- I say led by the Holy Spirit.

When my Aleah died, and I was in the pit of despair, I felt the hand of the Holy Spirit, and heard the whisper "pray". I hadn't had a conversation with God since my 1st marriage fell apart, but I did. I prayed. I begged God to take my guilt away. Had I not had her twin to take care of, I'm sure that I would've turned to drugs, or alcohol, or self mutilation. No one in my world new. Everyone talked about how "good" I was doing, or how they'd be a mess... I know it wasn't the intention, but I felt judged- and often. I prayed and cried myself to sleep and woke the next day healed of the guilt of my grief- not my grief- because it will always be there, but that the part of it that was destroying me was gone. So year, I've no doubt.
August 5th, 2009, 08:25 AM
melissa.'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was JUST going to say... refer them to The Case For Faith or The Case For Christ. Both by Lee Strobel.. and both are what opened Dh's eyes (as a BIG atheist) to understand God and His ways. Now, he is saved (was saved shortly after reading those) and he is strong in his faith.

Also, if you are speaking with a person who you know wont sit through a longer book.. or has a hard time with reading (like me- lol).. there is a student version. I got the student version of both and they are a 'read in 1 sitting book'. Which is what some people need who are struggling and closed minded.

Another thought, I like to stock up on those two books to hand them out as a witness. I can't tell you how many times I refer to those books when people ask questions. It's nice to just have a copy in your car and whip it out for them.
August 5th, 2009, 08:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.and.a View Post
Lindsey, I think you'll love the book The Case For Faith by Lee Strobel. I rave about this book all the time.

I've only had this question asked of me once, and that was a while ago. I don't remember exactly what I said, but I know my answer was shocking. Basically, I believe that when we study His Word, when we pray, when we worship Him, our hearts come closer in tune with him. I know that there is a God because he speaks to me- not in actual words of course, and it is hard to explain to someone who doesn't believe in God. Actually, when I talk about it- I say led by the Holy Spirit.

When my Aleah died, and I was in the pit of despair, I felt the hand of the Holy Spirit, and heard the whisper "pray". I hadn't had a conversation with God since my 1st marriage fell apart, but I did. I prayed. I begged God to take my guilt away. Had I not had her twin to take care of, I'm sure that I would've turned to drugs, or alcohol, or self mutilation. No one in my world new. Everyone talked about how "good" I was doing, or how they'd be a mess... I know it wasn't the intention, but I felt judged- and often. I prayed and cried myself to sleep and woke the next day healed of the guilt of my grief- not my grief- because it will always be there, but that the part of it that was destroying me was gone. So year, I've no doubt.
Wow. Beautiful testimony.

I have one that is similar (on prayer). After I miscarried (I know has no comparison to yours).. I was seconds from losing my own life. I was rushed via ambulance to the ER and immediately to OR. I had lost WAYYYY too much blood. Well, as I was laying there, I couldn't speak or move.. I looked up at my mom (sitting with me on the phone with the 911 operator) tears streaming down my face because I thought I was dying. She calmly said, "just don't close those eyes, sweet heart." She could tell I was struggling. I was shaking in shock in my face was turning blue.... All I could get out was, "please pray". She assured me she was as I spoke. The paramedics rushed me out with everyone in tears in panic... I had no blood pressure. (I had fainted and bled all over) The Drs wouldn't let anyone in while I was there.. they prayed... They were told I had lost way too much blood and they were doing a transfusion in the morning (I was conscience so they weren't in a huge hurry). Well, my mom called her prayer group and they all prayed at the same time that night. The next morning, they drew my blood and my blood count had more than doubled over night! No transfusion!! I was released that day and the Dr was shocked.. he said he had never seen a blood count do that so fast.. and he had never seen anyone still be conscience with no blood pressure and in the state I was in.

Well, I went home and took care of my 1yr old. I fell into a HUGE depression. I was down-right MAD at God. Well, again, my mom asked me to attend her prayer group. They prayed over me. I have never felt the Holy Spirit like I did that night. The next morning, I woke up feeling refreshed and completely cleansed of my depression, suicidal thoughts, anxiety etc. I was thirsty for more of God. It was amazing!

Sorry I wrote a book, there was no other way to shorten it. lol... and that's not even the whole story. God was all over that day.. He saved me from cracking my head open when I fainted, etc. I have no doubt that I would be dead had I not fought so hard and prayed our guts out.
August 5th, 2009, 08:52 AM
LindseyB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to LindseyB
Wonderful answers ladies, I'm loving reading them. Gives me chills.

[

FOLLOW ME @ http://www.sweetnsourmom.blogspot.com
August 5th, 2009, 04:03 PM
docsmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to docsmomma
Before I didn't have an answer. Now I do.

Joey had a less than 5% chance of surviving biopsy. God was with him and was with me and God pulled him through. Even his surgeon and anesthesiologist didn't think he would survive, the anesthesiologist tried to convince me not to go ahead with biopsy, but biopsy was the only chance he had except a miracle and he needed a miracle in biopsy too. He had a high chance of not responding at all to initial treatment once he was diagnosed. He responded the first week, enough the doctors were amazed because they said it would take 2-3 weeks to get a good response.
August 6th, 2009, 06:07 AM
Orangebrittainy's Avatar Queen of Randomocity
My proof that God exsists is that I lived in Ohio for most of my life searching for something... My Mom moved me to NC for a year in High School. I found a bf, stayed with him two years after I returned to OH. After we broke up, My Husband started pursuing me, we had met in High school, and he and my ex were both in Iraq at the same time it took us both maturing those 3 years to be able to be together.

I was working on my Teaching Certificate and Decided to Go to SC to study the schools there on my break (THere aren't many teaching jobs in OH and I was going to hit a different state with each break)... Also the idea of me spending the summer with my Mother terrified me. We didn't get along. I was kicked out of the place I was staying because of some marital problems (Nothing I did, they were already having problems) I wound up living with my Husband in NC. We were married 3-4 months later. Within two months of getting Married I started attending church with his family, Within 6 months of being married I was saved.

George's grandmother and Aunt's made me feel welcome from the start. His Grandmother lived two blocks away and always welcomed me into her home, and we would have long talks. She has been in the same place I was. She understood where I was coming from. George's Aunt's wouldn't take no for an answer, as far as they were concerned I was family and they treated me that way.

It took a while for his Parents and Sisters to fully accept me. We were married at the Magistrate's office, No dinner, no reception, no celebration. To this day I am the only family member that didn't get any Congratulations for my wedding. However to this day, His Mother admits, we are the two she has had the least worries about, and who have given her the least amount of grief. Of her five children, 4 are married and we are the only ones who have not cheated on each other, we are the only ones who have not had separation issues. We are the only ones who have not had other more serious problems.

At this point I am as much a part of the family as my husband is and both of his parents have made it clear that if he does anything to mess it up, he will be the one to suffer.

I know God exsists because I know its not a coincidence that I wound up here. I know its not a coincidence that I married a man I would never have considered being with in High school. I know he exsists because if he had not led me here I would not be saved, I would probably be drinking, and I don't know if things ever would have been ok between me and My Mom. I do miss my family very much, but My relationship with each of them is stronger now than it was before I moved.

Thank you *Kiliki* for once again doing such amazing work on a siggie
I can do all things through Christ which Strengtheneth me. (Phil 4:13)

August 6th, 2009, 02:34 PM
m.and.a
Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa. View Post
I was JUST going to say... refer them to The Case For Faith or The Case For Christ. Both by Lee Strobel.. and both are what opened Dh's eyes (as a BIG atheist) to understand God and His ways. Now, he is saved (was saved shortly after reading those) and he is strong in his faith.

Also, if you are speaking with a person who you know wont sit through a longer book.. or has a hard time with reading (like me- lol).. there is a student version. I got the student version of both and they are a 'read in 1 sitting book'. Which is what some people need who are struggling and closed minded.

Another thought, I like to stock up on those two books to hand them out as a witness. I can't tell you how many times I refer to those books when people ask questions. It's nice to just have a copy in your car and whip it out for them.

I love those books. I didn't know there was a student version. I watched the move Case for Christ, and read Case for Faith. I talk about it so much- particularly on JM, that stocking up on the student version of it would be a great idea!

Oh! And there is a study version! Woot! I'll have to see about doing a small group at church on it. It's a great tool for teaching others about Christ, and about discounting people who don't believe in God because of evolution. Lee basically debunks the science that is evolution, and proves that the science- is science in the very least definition of the word. Even as a Christian who believed in God and that He made the earth, I struggled with evolution because it made "sense" to me. Now that I know it's not real honest science, I feel lied to and cheated by the scientific community.
August 7th, 2009, 03:25 AM
~InHisHands~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I may just have to check those books out. I'm homeschooling Austin this year & am very excited about the Christian Worldview curriculum we purchased... much for the same reasons that the books would be useful to me. I'm hoping to learn things about those hot button topics like creationism, abortion, it may even include atheism in it.

So I looked one of the books up... can anyone tell me the difference between this one... Amazon.com: Case for Faith, The (9780310235286): Lee Strobel: Books & this one... Amazon.com: The Case for Faith: A Journalist Investigates the Toughest Objections to Christianity (9780310234692): Lee Strobel: Books? I did also find the student version (Amazon.com: Case for Faith--Student Edition, The (0025986241889): Lee Strobel, Jane Vogel: Books) & may get it just so Austin can read it too.

A&A Art ~ My TTC Blog ~ My Pics

"Never confuse acceptance with approval. Without approving
all we do, Jesus accepts all who come to Him." ~
Rick Warren

CLICK HERE to read about my mission trip to Romania! CLICK HERE to see pics!
August 7th, 2009, 03:31 AM
double post

Rick Warren

Last edited by ~InHisHands~; August 7th, 2009 at 04:45 AM.
August 7th, 2009, 04:44 AM
Bump! Odd... I have been having issue with JM this morning! Uggghhhh.

Rick Warren

August 7th, 2009, 08:08 AM
I've never even seen those versions... Hmmm.... now I am curious. I have seen the tan version and the student version.. but a different student version than that. I am going to look into the difference in them all.
August 7th, 2009, 12:06 PM
mighttyjomomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mighttyjomomma
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~InHisHands~ View Post
I may just have to check those books out. I'm homeschooling Austin this year & am very excited about the Christian Worldview curriculum we purchased... much for the same reasons that the books would be useful to me. I'm hoping to learn things about those hot button topics like creationism, abortion, it may even include atheism in it.

So I looked one of the books up... can anyone tell me the difference between this one... Amazon.com: Case for Faith, The (9780310235286): Lee Strobel: Books & this one... Amazon.com: The Case for Faith: A Journalist Investigates the Toughest Objections to Christianity (9780310234692): Lee Strobel: Books? I did also find the student version (Amazon.com: Case for Faith--Student Edition, The (0025986241889): Lee Strobel, Jane Vogel: Books) & may get it just so Austin can read it too.
I was looking into ordering the book as well and was curious if anyone could tell the difference or make a recommendation... actually, I will likely end up ordering both if they are two different versions...

August 7th, 2009, 12:17 PM
m.and.a
I got the copy I read out of the library. I'll probably get the unbridged version for myself, and the student version for DH.
August 7th, 2009, 01:53 PM
boomersgang
I think that we aren't meant to have actual "proof". If we did, then there wouldn't be any such thing as "faith" and that's the true test, isn't it?
Lori
September 22nd, 2009, 10:19 AM
Austin & I are doing a Christian Worldview curriculum this year in our homeschool and I thought it was interesting that we just studied 4 logical arguments to believe that God exists:
  1. The casual argument - Anything that begins to exist must have been caused to exist by something else.
  2. The design argument - If something exists that is designed, then it has a designer.
  3. The mind argument - If there is no intelligence behind the universe, then our thoughts are only by-products of matter & we have no reason to trust them. I personally like this argument & it really makes the most sense to me! If our thoughts are just by-products of matter then how can we trust our own thoughts? Where do thoughts come from? It goes on to say that our thoughts are the result of our souls initiating that thought that animates our brains. Our brains are so much more thatn the physical "gray matter". If we operate on a brain we wouldn't find a thought, idea, or feeling... no, it's a result of our soul!
  4. The moral argument - Since moral law exists, there must be a moral law-giver.
A similar argument to the design argument is the information argument. Using this argument the text tells us to think of a computer program & how intricate the code is to actually create a program. There are thousands of lines of code written by computer programmers, who are intelligent enough to create the programs. Well similarly, DNA programs each cell in our body to function the way it does. And we all know that DNA is complex, precise information & can not just occur randomly then someone VERY intelligent must have designed it & that someone must be supernatural (since nature can not explain DNA's complexity), i.e. God.

I am learning so much from this curriculum... did you know there is an argument out there that says we Christians came up with the idea that Jesus was resurrected from the pagan god, Mithra? This curriculum teaches WHY that is false. (Doesn't the religion of Mithra prove that Christianity is false? | Christian Apologetics & Research Ministry).

We have also learned a little quote from George Lucas, "I've always tried to be aware of what I say in my films because all of us who make motion pictures are teachers, teachers with very loud voices" & "[Star Wars is] designed primarily to make young people think about the mystery. Not to say, 'Here's the answer.' It's to say 'Think about this for a second. Is there a God? What does God look like? What does God sound like? What does God feel like? How do we relate to God?''" (American Masters . George Lucas | PBS). Obviously IMO, Lucas is trying to teach us about God but his god is obviously not our Biblical God. This curriculum is opening my eyes to the world around me. I've even learned a lot more about Scientology (not to mention Wicca, Tarot Cards, Horoscopes, etc) & why it's so popular in Hollywood & Scientology has always been something I didn't understand but now I do. I would be happy to enlighten anyone who wants to know.

I highly recommend this curriculum for any HSing mom that wants her child to have worldview training. I first learned about this on Focus on the Family & am so happy I bought it. Oh, of course I have the 8th grade version but there is also a 12th grade & elementary version too.

Rick Warren

Last edited by ~InHisHands~; September 22nd, 2009 at 10:26 AM.
September 23rd, 2009, 09:09 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
I don't really have proof. Not proof I can show someone else. It sounds like a copout to answer with "you need to find your own proof. I have mine, and I know it in my heart."

But it's a cop out on the part of others to argue that they can't see God so he must not be there. When someone argues that they can't "see or hear" Him, I just chuckle, because I can totally feel Him. Well, His Spirit.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search