Christian Parenting

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 6th, 2009, 02:49 PM
m.and.a
Quote:
Proverbs 22:6

Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it

Such a simple concept, but I'm amazed that we just don't get it in our society. I'm always saddened when parents- who claim some sort of Christian linkage- don't want to "force" religion on their children. I've quit counting the number of mother's who've told me that they don't take their children to church because they want to give their children the opportunity to make their own choices and decisions. Religion is the only place this argument is applied. No one ever says, I'm not going to take my kids to school, because I don't want to force learning on him. I want to wait until he's college-aged and then let him decide if he wants to be successful in life. In my mind- religious training is more important than education- or anything for that matter. Religion isn't an elective for our family, but way of life. I want my children to think and speak like the writer of Psalms 118. I want my children to rely on God, and not themselves when making decisions. I want them to know of the wisdom in Proverbs and use it in their every day lives. Of course, if you neglect to teach them of temptation- how to guard their hearts from it, how to recognize it, and even how to repent from it- then what a disservice you've done to them.

What are some of your favorite Bible verses for child rearing- or verses you've applied to your parenting, the hopes you have- the crops you hope to reap when planting Godly children.
August 6th, 2009, 05:13 PM
docsmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to docsmomma
My oldest asked me one day why he had to listen to me (this was after a lesson on freedom). I showed him that in the Bible it says
"Children Obey your parents in the Lord for this is right."

I simply explained to him that God has instructed us as parents to teach him, as our child, to follow the Lord. And that God has told children to obey their parents as long as what their parents are telling is not against what He says.
August 6th, 2009, 06:03 PM
m.and.a
Great verse. Ephesians 6, right?

Along the same lines, what sort of biblically based resources - if any- do you use in your parenting style? I use Ted Tripps Shepharding a Child's Heart . My copy is well worn, and I usually have it on me.

I do have a different take on schedules as most Christian resources suggest- such as Babywise, and even the popular Managers of Their Home.
August 7th, 2009, 03:32 AM
~InHisHands~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have used Deuteronomy 1 as a teaching aid & even posted a summary of it in our kitchen. If you read it you'll discover a pattern which is much like children (or at least it was much like Austin's behavior at the time):

Lord gives command.
People whined.
Lord gives punishment.
People begged for another chance.
Lord did not give another chance.

A&A Art ~ My TTC Blog ~ My Pics

"Never confuse acceptance with approval. Without approving
all we do, Jesus accepts all who come to Him." ~
Rick Warren

CLICK HERE to read about my mission trip to Romania! CLICK HERE to see pics!
August 7th, 2009, 04:46 AM
~InHisHands~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Bump (again)

A&A Art ~ My TTC Blog ~ My Pics

"Never confuse acceptance with approval. Without approving
all we do, Jesus accepts all who come to Him." ~
Rick Warren

CLICK HERE to read about my mission trip to Romania! CLICK HERE to see pics!
August 7th, 2009, 12:23 PM
mighttyjomomma's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to mighttyjomomma
We had a discussion about Deuteronomy 6:7, where it says "You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up." and it saddens me that people fail to understand the religion is not a part time gig... It is about teaching your children everyday about God, about openly discussing Him..

You can't just be a Christian by attending worship and thinking you've done your bit for the week, you are supposed to be a Christian everyday.. and I'll admit I do sin and lose sight but I am constantly praying for forgiveness and for God to help me do what is right..

Am I even making sense?

August 7th, 2009, 12:33 PM
LindseyB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to LindseyB
Karmen is only 18 months old, but I sing "Jesus loves me" to her everyday, and we pray everyday. She's not old enough to understand much, but I want her to at least start catching on to the basics.

[

FOLLOW ME @ http://www.sweetnsourmom.blogspot.com
August 7th, 2009, 12:57 PM
m.and.a
Quote:
Originally Posted by mighttyjomomma View Post
We had a discussion about Deuteronomy 6:7, where it says "You shall teach them diligently to your children, and shall talk of them when you sit in your house, when you walk by the way, when you lie down, and when you rise up." and it saddens me that people fail to understand the religion is not a part time gig... It is about teaching your children everyday about God, about openly discussing Him..

You can't just be a Christian by attending worship and thinking you've done your bit for the week, you are supposed to be a Christian everyday.. and I'll admit I do sin and lose sight but I am constantly praying for forgiveness and for God to help me do what is right..

Am I even making sense?

Perfect sense. DH's family just went to mass, and when he got old enough- they went to CCD (is that what it's called). But his family ethics and morals are definitely not rooted in Godly instruction. I'm a sinner too. I gossip, I have anger issues, I could sure love my enemy more than I often do. I struggle with self control- which of course, is a fruit of the Spirit. My biggest sin is illustrated in James 3:

5b. Consider what a great forest is set on fire by a small spark. 6The tongue also is a fire, a world of evil among the parts of the body. It corrupts the whole person, sets the whole course of his life on fire, and is itself set on fire by hell.

When I discipline my children, I do it from a Biblical Perspective. I see tantrums, defiance, and disobedience different than most of my peers. I don't see them as a stage. I don't think it'll magically go away- just the opposite. I see the behaviors of most children not as a stage- but as a level. I believe that if we teach our children diligently- as this verse in Deut. directs, that we give them the tools they need. I expect obedience out of my children. Immediate obedience. If they don't obey, it's disobedience. It isn't a choice to obey, it is absolutely necessary. I am the mommy. God says to obey your mommy and daddy. To disobey me is to disobey God.

I can't be the only person that sees this correlation. Tantrums (except for those that are my fault because of a hungry or overtired child) are signs of defiance and are dealt with. Ada isn't allowed to tell me "no" when I tell her to do something. Admittedly, she's been an amiable child. I know that my Willa will be more of a challenge.
August 7th, 2009, 01:34 PM
LindseyB's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to LindseyB
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.and.a View Post
When I discipline my children, I do it from a Biblical Perspective. I see tantrums, defiance, and disobedience different than most of my peers. I don't see them as a stage. I don't think it'll magically go away- just the opposite. I see the behaviors of most children not as a stage- but as a level. I believe that if we teach our children diligently- as this verse in Deut. directs, that we give them the tools they need. I expect obedience out of my children. Immediate obedience. If they don't obey, it's disobedience. It isn't a choice to obey, it is absolutely necessary. I am the mommy. God says to obey your mommy and daddy. To disobey me is to disobey God.

I can't be the only person that sees this correlation. Tantrums (except for those that are my fault because of a hungry or overtired child) are signs of defiance and are dealt with. Ada isn't allowed to tell me "no" when I tell her to do something. Admittedly, she's been an amiable child. I know that my Willa will be more of a challenge.
No, you aren't the only one. I don't believe in stages either. I've worked in a church nursery for going on 5 years, and the kids who got away with tantrums when they are two, are throwing even bigger "fits" now. These fits aren't just kicking and screaming. They're hitting, kicking, screaming, totally disrespectful fits of rage that shouldn't even be coming from a child.

My friend let her child get away with too much, and now I can't even hang out with her because her daughter is just too much for me. She hits karmen, and her mother, and anyone else. She screams at people, and throws herself on the ground, and talks back. She won't even sit in her carseat.

Give 'em an inch and they'll take a mile.

[

FOLLOW ME @ http://www.sweetnsourmom.blogspot.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search