Questin for Baptist mommies

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 14th, 2009, 06:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have been raised methodist but have been recently attending a baptist church close to my new home and really like it so far. I want to get my daughter baptised but have learned that baptists don't do that. My question is, what exactly is a dedication service? Do the babies still wear the white dresses? Is it a big deal like baptism? Any information on this subject would be really appreciated!
September 14th, 2009, 10:14 PM
m.and.a
I'm not a Baptist, but I play one on the Internet. But seriously, I did go to a Southern Baptist College, and my church is most nearly like the Baptist denomination (the main difference I can see is that we do communion every week). So, dedications are typically parent dedications, and different churches do it differently. In ours, once every couple of years, we have a Parent dedication. All the parents who wish to make a covenant with God to raise Godly children participate. It has nothing to do with the salvation of the child (which is why Baptists don't baptize babies and children)- so as far as being a "big deal" as it is in churches that do baptize children as part of salvation- not so much. My brother and his wife are Baptists, and to my knowledge, they've never participated in a dedication ceremony with either of their children- not the kind that you'd buy a Christening gown for. HTH.

Ask the pastor at the church. If it is something in which you can participate, you'll probably need to place membership in the church first, which I believe (and I could be wrong on this and maybe the Baptists will correct me), may mean that you'll need to be submersed first.
September 15th, 2009, 05:28 AM
Veteran
I am not going to be a lot of help, but our Baptist church just spoke to us about this. I did not grow up Baptist, but my husband did. Though he never had one of these either. Manda is correct in that it is a ceremony where the parents are dedicating to raise their children in the church in a Godly manner. All I know so far is that our church members have said that it is each families choice in how they do the ceremony and they would tailor it to fit how you want it. That said the lady who got this go round going has a four month old and I am sure he will be wearing 'something special'.

I think each church has their own rules, but for ours you had to switch your membership. Can't dedicate a child to a church you yourself have not been dedicated to. With our church, that was just an announcement at the end of service with everyone coming forward to welcome us in. But we have both been previously baptized in other churches.

Hope this helps and I do know that you can google it and get lots of other info. GL.
September 15th, 2009, 08:06 AM
*Mrs.T*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to *Mrs.T*
I don't have any info on a dedication ceremony, sorry. You would have to join the church though if it is something they do.

I'm sure some churches are different but with my church there are different ways to become a member. If you have never been baptised then you have to be, and that's how you are brought into the church. If you have been baptised then you can join the church (if you are a member of another church) by letter, or by testimony. I wish I could be more help!
September 15th, 2009, 03:13 PM
~InHisHands~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I can't speak on requirements (if you have to be a member at the church or baptized yourself) since I have never participated in a dedication ceremony with a child myself. We came to the Baptist church just a few years ago when Austin was already half grown but I can tell you at my church it is a big deal! Several babies do wear christening gowns & basically it is a dedication where you commit to raise this child & the church commits to helping you raise this child in a Godly way/to love the Lord, i.e. you are supposed to teach this child about Christ & the church is supposed to support you.

I can't wait to have a baby so I can go through a baby dedication myself!

BTW, to the board. Hope you stick around. Oh, & feel free to add yourself/family to our bithday/anniversary stickie above!

A&A Art ~ My TTC Blog ~ My Pics

"Never confuse acceptance with approval. Without approving
all we do, Jesus accepts all who come to Him." ~
Rick Warren

CLICK HERE to read about my mission trip to Romania! CLICK HERE to see pics!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search