Sexual Immorality part II

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 17th, 2009, 07:17 PM
m.and.a
Below is my response from the before mentioned deleted thread. The original poster was discouraged in that there were women in this world who had no problem with swinging, threesomes, and other sexual immoral behaviors that, as Christians, we know isn't edifying to God. She questioned how this kind of sin would make her husband feel and how it must make God feel. Here was my original response:

__________________________________________________ ____________________________

I have friends who had an open marriage- that ended with jealousy and divorce.

As weird as it may seem to us, think that looking into Christianity, people think we're weird. It's just sex after all. Right? Initially there were a lot of objections to the Love Dare challenge, because how dare we suggest that someone be married in order to participate? It was nice enough, but we got a private messages from admin. I don't remember it, but the gist I took from it was to be careful when opening our challenges up to everyone. There were a lot of complaints. I did read some of the open discussions posted in response to our invitations, and I just had to smile. I'm so used to the stereotypes people force us to wear.

We did allow everyone in who wanted it, we just wanted to make sure that we didn't want to compromise our Christian beliefs. Society believes that living together is the same commitment- but as Christians we know it's not because there are no covenant with God without marriage.

Christian wives are weird because submission isn't a bad word.

Christian moms are weird because we're offended by obscene phrases neatly packaged and presented otherwise.

As unfortunate these situations may be, Christians have lived through them since then dawn of Christianity. The church at Thessalonica battled much more worse sexual impurities. Part of the pagan culture then was prostitution in worship services, free sex, and sexual immorality we can't even imagine. YET, people were converted from this lifestyle to Christianity- so there is hope for everyone, as we know, and I think the correct response is to pray. Remember the struggles of this church when we consider the sexual immorality of others, and what God has called us to do. I think it also gives us a glimpse of how God feels about it. If you reject His teachings, you reject him. And we know what the Bible says about those who reject Him.

Quote:
I thess 4:

3It is God's will that you should be sanctified: that you should avoid sexual immorality; 4that each of you should learn to control his own body[a] in a way that is holy and honorable, 5not in passionate lust like the heathen, who do not know God; 6and that in this matter no one should wrong his brother or take advantage of him. The Lord will punish men for all such sins, as we have already told you and warned you. 7For God did not call us to be impure, but to live a holy life. 8Therefore, he who rejects this instruction does not reject man but God, who gives you his Holy Spirit.

I think it important to also know that the state of sexuality in our culture is the way it is because of the lies we swallow. Our children become desensitized to it way too early in life. By time they reach their 20's- it's no biggie, and then it's not shocking, and then soon, it's acceptable. Even some Christians swallow the lies of the devil. Modesty isn't important in our culture as it is to God, not that I believe we should all parade around in long dresses, but I do believe that our midriffs and the cracks of our butt should be covered. Encouraging the wearing of clothes that fit would be a great- yet seemingly impossible- task in our culture.

And I will confess that in my 20's I bought into the lies that the devil shares our culture. How could God be so concerned about what we do with our bodies? It's just sex after all, right?
September 18th, 2009, 01:21 AM
JustBecca's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to JustBecca
There is a big difference between "love the sinner, hate the sin" and judging.

Matthew 7

Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.
"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye.

"Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces.

Thank you ~* Helen *~ for the best all about me siggie! You are absolutely fabulous!
September 18th, 2009, 06:53 AM
Fan of learning
Send a message via Yahoo to One Frugal Mom
Quote:
Originally Posted by m.and.a View Post
Modesty isn't important in our culture as it is to God, not that I believe we should all parade around in long dresses, but I do believe that our midriffs and the cracks of our butt should be covered. Encouraging the wearing of clothes that fit would be a great- yet seemingly impossible- task in our culture.
Very well stated. I also absolutely LOVE the above! :-)
September 18th, 2009, 07:18 AM
m.and.a
I'm really unsure of your meaning behind discussing this section of the sermon on the Mt., but I'd love to address it. This verse is often used by people who know very little about the Bible. Doesn't the Bible say not to judge? Well no. Jesus did it all the time. All Christians are to have judgement. The book of James warns us to stay away from worldly people, and it could be interpreted that to have friendships with (be accepting of sexual immorality) is hating God.
4You adulterous people, don't you know that friendship with the world is hatred toward God? Anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God. 5Or do you think Scripture says without reason that the spirit he caused to live in us envies intensely?[a] 6But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says:
"God opposes the proud
but gives grace to the humble."[b]

7Submit yourselves, then, to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. 8Come near to God and he will come near to you. Wash your hands, you sinners, and purify your hearts, you double-minded. 9Grieve, mourn and wail. Change your laughter to mourning and your joy to gloom. 10Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.
How are Christians to identify worldly people without judgement? To back to these verses in Matthew 7, Jesus was talking to the Pharisees, a really strict of Jews who ran the show. They really were terrible in their interpretation of the law- as long as it applied to other people. For example, Jewish law said that sons should take care of their parents as they aged, and some, to get out of this responsibility had willed all of their money to the temple, so that when Mom and Dad came knocking at the door for financial assistance, their response was "Mom, I can't- I've willed all my money to the temple". They were using religion as a way to get out of their obligation- and at the same time seemingly make themselves look generous in the eyes of other Pharisees.

Matthew 15: this passage also details the conduct of the Pharisees in how they were not honoring their parents. Jesus knew they were not taking care of their parents, yet they were concerned that the disciples had not washed their hands- hence their hypocrisy.
1Then some Pharisees and teachers of the law came to Jesus from Jerusalem and asked, 2"Why do your disciples break the tradition of the elders? They don't wash their hands before they eat!"
3Jesus replied, "And why do you break the command of God for the sake of your tradition? 4For God said, 'Honor your father and mother'[a] and 'Anyone who curses his father or mother must be put to death.'[b] 5But you say that if a man says to his father or mother, 'Whatever help you might otherwise have received from me is a gift devoted to God,' 6he is not to 'honor his father[c]' with it. Thus you nullify the word of God for the sake of your tradition. 7You hypocrites! Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you:
8" 'These people honor me with their lips,
but their hearts are far from me.
9They worship me in vain;
their teachings are but rules taught by men.'[d]"

10Jesus called the crowd to him and said, "Listen and understand. 11What goes into a man's mouth does not make him 'unclean,' but what comes out of his mouth, that is what makes him 'unclean.' "

12Then the disciples came to him and asked, "Do you know that the Pharisees were offended when they heard this?"

13He replied, "Every plant that my heavenly Father has not planted will be pulled up by the roots. 14Leave them; they are blind guides.[e] If a blind man leads a blind man, both will fall into a pit."

15Peter said, "Explain the parable to us."

16"Are you still so dull?" Jesus asked them. 17"Don't you see that whatever enters the mouth goes into the stomach and then out of the body? 18But the things that come out of the mouth come from the heart, and these make a man 'unclean.' 19For out of the heart come evil thoughts, murder, adultery, sexual immorality, theft, false testimony, slander. 20These are what make a man 'unclean'; but eating with unwashed hands does not make him 'unclean.' "
In John chapter 5 Jesus healed a man that had been invalid for 38 years. When they saw the healed man walking, they were only concerned that he was carrying his mat on the Sabbath. There interpretation of the law was so strict that saving lives, and doing Good on the Sabbath was a sin. Of course, it wasn't really against the law to carry a mat on the Sabbath- just that the culture had dictated it so. They did not care that this miracle had happened. This is the example of judgement that Jesus warns against in the sermon on the Mt. It is a common theme, this relationship with the Pharisees who had taken His Father's law past what it was ever intended. Jesus' warnings in the sermon on the Mt was against hypocrites, telling them to take the plank out of their own eye before settling on the speck of dust in another's. Jesus, in his own example, called the Pharisees out on their hypocrisy. If we're to do what some like to suggest that he said to do in Matt 7, he would have never called them out for anything they did.
Matt 23: 25-28

Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you clean the outside of the cup and of the dish, but inside they are full of robbery and self-indulgence. You blind Pharisee, first clean the inside of the cup and of the dish, so that the outside of it may become clean also. Woe to you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! For you are like whitewashed tombs which on the outside appear beautiful, but inside they are full of dead men's bones and all uncleanness. So you, too, outwardly appear righteous to men, but inwardly you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness..." .

To indicate that we should never be open-eyed to the obviousness of sin- such as sexual immorality is just plain frivolous. But since it is so commonly quoted by people who know nothing, little, or really misunderstand Christianity, it has become a commonly misunderstood passage. But when studying the Bible, we have to be aware of the context. I can pull out any number of passages and make them say what I want them to say. In using the passage in Matt 15, I could make an argument that it doesn't matter if we wash our hands before we eat. The disciples didn't, Jesus said it didn't matter? Right? No, that would be just as frivolous because the entire context of the passage isn't shared.

When Jesus meets the woman at the well, he tells her that she is a sinner, that she is sexual immoral. But the worlds wants to indicate that that's exactly what we should do, because calling a sin, a sin, is judgmental? Absolutely not. Can I do it with love? Absolutely, and you are absolutely right- that is how Jesus would prefer us to do it.

One of the ways that, I believe that modern Christianity is hypocritical is the treatment of homosexuals. We want to bring them in and cure them. Marry the opposite sex, have a family, and just pretend you aren't Gay. Most Christians don't even want to worship with homosexuals, and churches aren't open to them. I've heard it argued that allowing homosexuals in church is accepting of their life style. Absolutely not, allowing homosexuals in church services is opening them up to the Love of Christ that is available to them. As Christians we speak of the Truth offered in the Scriptures and leave it up to that particular person and God- Jesus- and the Holy Spirit. If s/he repents and becomes a follower of Christ, then great, but having had not told that person that sexual immorality is a sin- and here is what the Bible says about it-- isn't what Jesus called us to do. Christian means Little Christ, and to be Little Christs means that we have to strive to be like him. Call a duck a duck, but love that duck while doing it.

And before anyone brings up the "casting of stones". I don't plan to physically harm anyone because of their sin, and I would certainly do my best to stop it from happening if I had the opportunity. This misquoted passage doesn't mean we're to be closed lipped. The Bible tells us we all have sin. But let's go back to the context of this passage. Who do you think brought this woman to Jesus? Yup, you've guessed it, the Pharisees. Jesus was speaking to this group of Jews who continued to defile God's Law, and He knew- that would hate Him so much for what they perceived as hypocrisy that they would put Him to death. Here was a man- healing people on the Sabbath, and they didn't care about the good he had done. Jesus never did anything worthy of death. He was sinless, he was loving, he was good. Curiously missing from this situation is that the Pharisees catch a man and a women "in the act" and only bring before him the woman. Adultery was punishable by death- for both man and woman- so right there they had defiled the law.

Who is Jesus speaking to in these passages? The Pharisees. If you are like a Pharisee, then absolutely, shut your mouth. Get the plank out of your own eye first. If you are a Little Christ- do you shut your mouth? I believe-absolutely not. Go back to the passage in James for examples. In the Great Commission, Jesus sends us to be fishers of men. How do we fish for me without making them aware of how their behavior is in contrast to the commandments of Jesus? Christian's must have judgement.

What does the Bible say about Christians and judgement?
John 7:24

24Stop judging by mere appearances, and make a right judgment.
Wow, Jesus actually says we are to judge. Yup. Right there, rightly judge. And how do we rightly judge? With His Word, In Love, and not hypocritically with ulterior motives. In most examples that people can quote, the Pharisees were trying to catch Jesus in saying something wrong- they were trying to snare Him so that they could arrest him. So, just keep that in mind when trying to apply it to every situation.

Last edited by m.and.a; September 18th, 2009 at 07:33 AM.
September 18th, 2009, 08:15 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
Not to be contradictory here but.. you do realize that Jesus is Jesus, and we are not? Jesus can judge people all he wants to, as he's going to make the final judgment and what not.

We are not Jesus, we are not heavenly beings, and it is not our place to condemn people for their choices. Judge them as people you don't want to associate with sure - we do that all the time. We can judge someone as being a jerk just as easily as being sexually immoral. But condemning their choices is outside of our bounds.

I think JustBecca was using "Judge" when she meant "condemn."

I am a Christian, and I will never not associate with someone just because they're making a choice I think is morally wrong. Where is the love in that? How can you encourage them to change their ways and make good choices if you won't even associate with them? As Christians we are supposed to be an example to the rest of the world. Shunning people for making poor choices is not setting a good example.
September 18th, 2009, 09:17 AM
m.and.a
I agree and you aren't contradictory at all, and you obviously stopped reading about halfway through (not to say that I blame you - I can get long winded). The condemnation is the wrong thing to do. It's a misconception that sharing God's will is condemning. If people feel condemned, then it is not I who've done it. To share with someone God's will, and specifically what it says about those who reject him is not judgement, condemnation, or pretending to be Christ.

I associate with people who I believe are morally wrong all the time too, but it doesn't mean that I don't share with them the Truth, and it doesn't mean that I am judging- or condemning them. I couldn't condemn them, even if I wanted to do so. The verse in Thessalonian's says exactly what is going to happen to those who reject His teaching, not only those who chose to lead sexually impure lives, but those who don't live Holy lives. In fact when people say "so you think I'm going to hell"- I say "I don't think that at all, and it isn't up to me". There is a great difference between association and accepting. Even the fact that Jesus spoke to the Samaritan Women at the well is a great example that we shouldn't shun people. In his culture, he never should've spoken to her because she was a woman, and a Samaritan at that.

I believe the parable of the Good Samaritan is exactly how we should treat others. Jesus doesn't give us a choice of who we can love, just that we gotta. If someone has mistaken anything I've said for condemnation, then that is unfortunate. Shunning people for sinning is absolutely contrary to what Jesus teaches. It is our job to love them, to share with them Jesus' teachings, (as I said before Opening them Up to the Love of Christ) and then, as I said earlier, leaving it up to that person and his/her relationship with Christ/God/ and the Holy Spirit. A fat lot of good it does only to teach Christ to people who already believe in Christ. How can a person consider his/her relationship with God if no one ever shares what the Bible says. It's up to you to accept or reject, it is up to me to share. Without sharing- there is no accepting and no rejecting. But we all do feel warm and fuzzy inside.

So, back full circle, back to my first post- the best way to deal with sexually immoral behavior- prayer for those people. I can see how that makes me condemning with a Christ complex. This is what the Bible says about people who reject Him. It isn't what I say, and to reject it isn't rejecting me, although as we see in this exchange, the way to deal or not deal with it is to reject me by saying it is wrong for me to judge, to condemn, to shun, and who do I think I am? It's a way to avoid the issue. It's a common objection that I've heard before and no doubt that I will hear hundreds of times in my life, but when it boils down to it, it isn't about me at all. It isn't about us. It is... in the own words of the passage... God's will. I'll repost for clarity:

I thess 4:

3It is God's will that you should be sanctified: that you should avoid sexual immorality; 4that each of you should learn to control his own body[a] in a way that is holy and honorable, 5not in passionate lust like the heathen, who do not know God; 6and that in this matter no one should wrong his brother or take advantage of him. The Lord will punish men for all such sins, as we have already told you and warned you. 7For God did not call us to be impure, but to live a holy life. 8Therefore, he who rejects this instruction does not reject man but God, who gives you his Holy Spirit.
September 18th, 2009, 09:54 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
(I actually did read the whole post )

I think you misunderstood me. I wasn't directing that post at YOU specifically, but at people in general. I didn't mean to imply that you, personally and specifically, were condemning people and what have you. I was just saying that the attitude in general is wrong.

Looking back I realize I did say "you" when I probably should have said "we." I honestly wasn't directing it at you, but just at the human race as a whole. It's just that you used Jesus' judgment of others as a justification for US to judge others, which I disagree with. Perhaps you didn't intend for it to come across that way, though.

Quote:
his is what the Bible says about people who reject Him. It isn't what I say, and to reject it isn't rejecting me, although as we see in this exchange, the way to deal or not deal with it is to reject me by saying it is wrong for me to judge, to condemn, to shun, and who do I think I am? It's a way to avoid the issue.
For the record, just because someone disagrees with you does not mean they are attacking you.
September 18th, 2009, 10:04 AM
mommy2eden's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think it is important to remember to be in the world and not of it. We are to be examples...we live in a fallen world that will not understand us.

Wife to Garrett
Mother to Eden (7/13/09) and Cooper (7/28/2010)
Follower of Jesus
September 18th, 2009, 10:06 AM
JustBecca's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to JustBecca
I was not going to not post in here because you have already made it clear that you think that I know nothing of the Bible. And ya know what, I know very little as I am still learning. What I have seen from this post and even the one that it was posted from (the deleted one) is that there are people that do not agree with the lifestyle that others are leading. I am the same way. My own mother is a drug abusing Atheist that has been opening having a sexual relationship with the same man for the last 18 years and they are NOT married. Do I love my mother any less??? no. Do I agree with her lifestyle...not really. Am I going to bash her about it and judge her for it...no. She is an adult. I am in no way in control of her salvation. That is all on her. It is no different than the women that you speak of with sexual immorality. You are not in control of their salvation. A simple...Lets pray for those who are sexual immoral would have been a more "Christian" approach that flat out bashing them. That is what was done. It was uncalled for, rude, disrespectful and down right mean.

I have said my peace and I am completely done with this board. I hope you all have a blessed day.

Thank you ~* Helen *~ for the best all about me siggie! You are absolutely fabulous!
September 18th, 2009, 11:50 AM
m.and.a
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keskes View Post

For the record, just because someone disagrees with you does not mean they are attacking you.

You absolutely right, I should've been less defensive, and I 100% apologize for reacting so defensively. I'm a putz sometimes- well, a lot of times.

I did not see any bashing in the original (deleted thread). I didn't see any responses after mine however. A specific board was singled out but the original poster-yes absolutely so in a sense I see how it can be construed by bashing, but the point about sexual immorality remains the same. Actually, I posted my post word for word as I had my reply still open in another tab.

In my response did not mean to use Jesus' judgement of others as a justification for us to judge others but that in telling the Pharisees to not condemn, he was specifically speaking to their frame of mind, their hypocrisy, and the fact that they were trying to set up specific circumstances to lure him to try to say something that would be punishable by death. We aren't to condemn- or to bash others either. But- in telling the truth, we aren't bashing, or judging, but sharing. In using these passages to imply that as Christians, we aren't allowed to recognize sinful behavior or to speak of what the Bible teaches is a misuse of them.

My point is that of course we are supposed to have judgement. If someone in our lives, who we love is behaving in direct contrast with what God and the Bible teaches, then what favor have we done them by not sharing with them? We may feel that it is "all on her", but I don't feel the same way about my family. I believe that it is my duty as a Christian to share the Good News of Christ with them. In the end, you have nothing to do with her salvation, other than sharing the Truth. The first step in salvation is "Hear". How are people in our lives to hear if we're only praying? Of course we need to do it in a loving way, and there is no reason to stop loving your mother, but whether or not she rejects what you've said- is all on her. And it doesn't even mean you can't keep trying.

I disagree that the Christian thing is to be passive and pray is the only or "more" Christian thing to do. I'm not bashing anyone by sharing what the Bible says about sexual immorality and those that reject Him. If someone feels condemned, or disrespected, I would suggest that she examine her heart. Not that it is ever wrong to pray for someone, but sharing what the Bible says about a specific sin is not bashing, rude, nor disrespectful. And well, the truth of the matter is that I can't respect someone's choice to live a sexually, or otherwise immoral life. I suppose feeling diresepcted is a natural consequence of that.

The disciples by trade were fishermen. When Jesus told them to go out and make fishers of men, I don't think they took it that he meant for them to hold out their nets and say "please- fish- jump in", or that they sat in their churches and said... hmm... where are the men, I'm ready to fish. God, please bring the lake to us, put it right here in our comfy air-conditioned building with padded pews. Actually, that's exactly what they didn't do. They went into the world and told the Jews that they had murdered the Messiah. Then they went to share the truth of Jesus Christ and Holy living with the Gentiles. They'd not been taught about sexual purity, and it was a pretty big deal to them to not only choose to follow Christ, but also to shy away from the accepted practices of culture so perverse that they practiced sexual immorality in their religious services. How must their contemporaries felt when they said they were going to instead live holy lives, and then told them how to do it? I'm sure they felt bashed, judged and disrespected, which is why Paul said in vs. 8: Therefore, he who rejects this instruction does not reject man but God, who gives you his Holy Spirit. No where did he absolve them of giving the instruction- so that others may Hear the instruction, in order to accept or reect- so no, just praying would not be the only or "more" Christian thing to do.

The world is filled with myths on how Christians should behave, and these are of course - our own fault. Our churches are too happy to sit and wait for God to bring us the lake. We're afraid of hurting people's feelings, or actually planting the seed that may lead a person to be convicted to change a current immoral behavior. We want people to feel good, to be consumers of this Christian religion we want to sell them. We only want to worship in churches with people whom we feel 100% comfortable.

Last edited by m.and.a; September 18th, 2009 at 11:52 AM.
September 18th, 2009, 03:01 PM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
Send a message via MSN to plan4fate
I'm going to pop in here for two seconds and try to be as eloquent as I can... The original poster stated "thinking that it's a "mommy" board, we'd all have at least reasonable morals and values, right? " whether she meant to or not.. that IS bashing the members partaking in the acts that some don't agree with.

Those are hers/yours/ours etc (pick a word please, I'm not trying to offend ) morals and values, ones that not everyone has. Religion has many branches, which I personally believe (as a Christian), as do many others, should be respected in themselves.

I feel like I have to stick up for my girls (I'm That Boards co host), some of whom were extremely offended/upset by the post, and who are also offended/upset by this one. If you want to judge/condom/pass decision on that's fine, but in the future I would suggest (host to host, person to person) maybe keeping topics that allow other members to pick out EXACTLY who is being talked about to the private boards? That way toes are not stepped on, feelings are not as easily hurt. Again, just a suggestion. Just be aware judgement hurts people, people who have done NOTHING to hurt those judging them.
~TTC #1 together 2 years and counting ~

Awesome siggy made by Jaidynsmum
Matthew&Mark 08/24/2005 9w1d, Mattie Anne 04/07/2008 8w Mel|&Dee 01/19/2010 (8 weeks) and 5 chemical pregnancies
Hope 07/22/2012@4w1d, Konnor 11/24/2012@3w6d,"Emmy"1/15/2013@ 3w6d, Ronen 02/10/2013@3w5d, Joy 07/19/2013@3w6d, "Pea" 09/06/2013@ 3w3d

Me: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, PCOS, Insulin resistant
175mcg Synthyroid, 1500mg Metformin
Him: MFI low count, low morphology, low motillity
Seeing MFI specialist/RE in 2015
Attempting vitamins for remainder of 2014
September 18th, 2009, 05:38 PM
~InHisHands~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I 100% agree with everything Manda said, especially the comment "I think it important to also know that the state of sexuality in our culture is the way it is because of the lies we swallow. Our children become desensitized to it way too early in life". That was me to a "T". I didn't realize how big a deal it really was till recently.

Actually, Becca, I'm in a similar situation as you... not only am I a new Christian & therefore don't know my Bible as well as someone who has been studying it for years but my dad is a homosexual, after 20 years of marriage he announced that little tidbit to us & actually I've carried him & his bf to church with us & will again in a heartbeat. I love him but don't agree with his lifestyle. I don't rub it in his face or even bring it up to him really but if he asks I'll tell him my honest opinion. What I think we can do, besides praying of course, is to model Christ's love through us & that means reaching out to those who are lost & loving them genuinely, like I do my father & I'm sure you do your mother.

Also, I don't see where Manda is being rude at all... maybe I'm missing something. Maybe you have a different perspective & life experiences which help you interpret things differently than I do but it seems to me that Manda is just quoting the Bible & speaking the Truth, which is desperately needed today (as it was 5 years ago, 50 years ago, even 500+ years ago)... what I am trying to say is that Truth is ALWAYS desperately needed.

As mommytoeden commented, we are to be in the world & not of it. It's a very fine line and one I am still struggling to learn myself. I want to be a light in this world as Jesus called me to be but how to do that without compromising yourself can be tricky & sometimes not clear cut.

And to the original poster, if you are lurking... I know what you mean about being shocked & I can totally relate.

~Tithen~, I don't see how this thread AT ALL has specifically allowed anyone "to pick out EXACTLY who is being talked about". And apparently the previous post that DID (BTW, I never saw the original post) was deleted by the admins/mods, which I agree with b/c we as Christians we should never go behind another's back to talk about how "sinful/immoral" they are. I agree if the post did that then it should have been edited or deleted & apparently it was.

A&A Art ~ My TTC Blog ~ My Pics

"Never confuse acceptance with approval. Without approving
all we do, Jesus accepts all who come to Him." ~
Rick Warren

CLICK HERE to read about my mission trip to Romania! CLICK HERE to see pics!
September 18th, 2009, 06:02 PM
plan4fate's Avatar I may bend, but not break
Send a message via MSN to plan4fate
It's not so much that this topic in specific that tells exactly which members are being spoken of. If it had been created BEFORE the original one, we would have had no idea at all.

But it was created after a very touchy topic was closed and deleted and because it's relating to a specific situation on another board it sends up red flags. A board that is private and the information of what goes on there should never be taken to another board by anyone other than the original poster. Many of us read the original post, I was actually PM'd a copy of it. It specifically related to another board and the members engaging in acts that the original poster did not approve of because of her religious beliefs. While their names were not given, it would only take several moments for anyone to discover which members it was.

I have no issues with ANY of the ladies (and or gents) on this board and not approving of some of the things that happen in the world. We all have morals and values that are important to us. I just ask (of every board on JM, not just this one), in the future, that information from private boards stay private. Situational discussion is fine (how do you all feel about this or that...) but specific topic discussion (I read on another board that people are doing this or that...) even if names aren't named are a little inappropriate.

Just please consider what I've said for future topics?
~TTC #1 together 2 years and counting ~

Awesome siggy made by Jaidynsmum
Matthew&Mark 08/24/2005 9w1d, Mattie Anne 04/07/2008 8w Mel|&Dee 01/19/2010 (8 weeks) and 5 chemical pregnancies
Hope 07/22/2012@4w1d, Konnor 11/24/2012@3w6d,"Emmy"1/15/2013@ 3w6d, Ronen 02/10/2013@3w5d, Joy 07/19/2013@3w6d, "Pea" 09/06/2013@ 3w3d

Me: Hashimoto's Thyroiditis, PCOS, Insulin resistant
175mcg Synthyroid, 1500mg Metformin
Him: MFI low count, low morphology, low motillity
Seeing MFI specialist/RE in 2015
Attempting vitamins for remainder of 2014
September 18th, 2009, 07:05 PM
Rachel's Avatar Just Rachel
Send a message via Yahoo to Rachel
Hi ladies, popping in here for just a minute.

I want to remind you that this is a support board for Christian parents. This is not a debate board. Members of this board are free to discuss sexuality, immorality, etc. as it relates to Christian parenting, but debates should be taken to the Heated Debate board.

If you have any questions about a previously deleted post, I'll be happy to address your questions by private message.
September 19th, 2009, 09:35 AM
mommy4micandella's Avatar Proud wife and momma!!
Send a message via AIM to mommy4micandella Send a message via Yahoo to mommy4micandella
I'm popping in to make one comment, and i will leave.
I am a christian, however i do not attend church regularly, and thats MY business. And i prefer no one question it, which is why i shut the door on people who go door to door stuffing their church down your throat!!
If you do not agree with something on another board, WHY even go there and read it?? No one forces anyone to read something.
I can honestly say i have read bits and pieces of practically every board on JM, but do i post on another board about things i read?? NO because its NOT right. Private boards are just that, private boards & if you have no interest in that subject OR its a subject thats "against your beliefs, etc" then DONT READ IT!!
I'm done, have a nice day.

September 19th, 2009, 11:16 AM
kristianna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
wow.. It's taken me a while to let all this sink in.. I did read the deleted post. I agree that it probably should have been worded differently to omit actually naming another board etc..

However, I totally agree with Manda. I don't think she is trying to be rude or offensive. I think as a Christian, or any one for that matter,one should be allowed to defend what is important to oneself. If what you believe makes you un-popular then so be it. I am glad that people are passionate about what they think even if I do not agree with them.
I also agree that the world wants us to believe many lies about sex and relationships. And as Christians we are to be "transformed by the re-newing of our minds" I don't think God wants us to shun anyone but nor does He want us to accept certain behavior as being ok. I don't think it's judgemental to say that a sin is a sin. I DO think we cannot go around pointing out people's sin for sport or carelessly. Because after all we have all sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God. - ALL my opinion! You are free to have yours!

Thank you Vicki for the BEEautiful siggie!

September 19th, 2009, 12:18 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
I think there's "Moral" sex and "immoral" sex in the eyes of Christians. Not being accepting of sexual immorality in your personal life shouldn't necessarily keep you from visiting a board based about love and sex. Sex is an important part of marriage, and sometimes people do have certain questions. Even Good Christian Women want to have a fulfilling sexual relationship with their partner, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I don't think we're supposed to talk about the deleted post anymore, but I just want to say this:

The OP was unimpressed with the behavior of women in general. She was upset that so many women in the world today think that acts of sexually immorality are okay and should be applauded. She was upset that women today choose to air their sin publicly, and are not ashamed of it at all. She should have worded it better, I agree, but I really don't think it was a matter of "if you don't like it don't read it." Her point was how openly people talk about and approve of something she considered to be morally wrong and sinful.

The OP was not uninterested in sex, and sex in general was not against her belief system. She was just shocked.
September 19th, 2009, 03:45 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keskes View Post

I think you misunderstood me. I wasn't directing that post at YOU specifically, but at people in general. I didn't mean to imply that you, personally and specifically, were condemning people and what have you. I was just saying that the attitude in general is wrong.

Looking back I realize I did say "you" when I probably should have said "we." I honestly wasn't directing it at you, but just at the human race as a whole. It's just that you used Jesus' judgment of others as a justification for US to judge others, which I disagree with. Perhaps you didn't intend for it to come across that way, though.

Not to debate or anything, ;P, but we're supposed to be like Jesus, aren't we?

Tolerance obviously requires a non-contentious manner of relating toward one another’s differences. But tolerance does not require abandoning one’s standards or one’s opinions on political or public policy choices. Tolerance is a way of reacting to diversity, not a command to insulate it from examination.
-- Dallin H. Oaks
September 19th, 2009, 07:23 PM
IAmMomMomIAm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kboo View Post
Not to debate or anything, ;P, but we're supposed to be like Jesus, aren't we?
Yes, but I still don't think that gives us the right to judge people, which was my original point from the comment. We are to be like Jesus, but thinking we are as righteous/worthy/holy as Jesus just doesn't work.
September 20th, 2009, 04:29 PM
Mega Super Mommy
there is moral and immoral sex! it says right in the Bible you should be married.
i do agree they shouldnt have mentioned the board but i also think it goes both ways.if someone doesnt like what we believe why come to this board and cause problems?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search