Gambling?

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
September 23rd, 2009, 03:15 AM
~InHisHands~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What do you think about gambling?

A&A Art ~ My TTC Blog ~ My Pics

"Never confuse acceptance with approval. Without approving
all we do, Jesus accepts all who come to Him." ~
Rick Warren

CLICK HERE to read about my mission trip to Romania! CLICK HERE to see pics!
September 23rd, 2009, 09:02 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
This is an article that was actually a talk given by the president of our church, if you want more details into the matter. LDS.org - Ensign Article - Gambling

But, in short.. we're against it. Though I will admit sometimes I wish I could play the lottery and win 111 million.
September 23rd, 2009, 07:08 PM
~InHisHands~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'll admit I've going gambling once but it was a one time thing b/c my bf at the time wanted to. I just don't see the big thrill in it myself.

I know most Christians are against it but was wondering specifically what Scripture has to say about it. Anyone know? Any scripture references you can point me to?

I did read most of the link you provided, Kes, & totally get the "addictive" part of it but for someone who is not addicted, is it really that bad? Maybe it's just that it is a stepping stone to much worse sin. IDK, enlighten me, ladies!

A&A Art ~ My TTC Blog ~ My Pics

"Never confuse acceptance with approval. Without approving
all we do, Jesus accepts all who come to Him." ~
Rick Warren

CLICK HERE to read about my mission trip to Romania! CLICK HERE to see pics!
September 23rd, 2009, 07:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to way2gomom Send a message via Yahoo to way2gomom Send a message via Skype™ to way2gomom
I don't have any references for you, but I thought I'd answer anyway. It's just not for me! I've never really been interested.

blog: justjoanna.com | twitter: way2gomom | facebook | pinterest: way2gomom
September 24th, 2009, 06:39 AM
IAmMomMomIAm
I'm not sure there's a scripture specifically saying don't gamble, just example of gambling at inopportune times - like men playing a dice game when Jesus was about to die.

the LDS church is huge on family, and financial responsibility. We're strongly encouraged to avoid debt whenever possible (the only things worth going into debt for are a car, a home, health, and an education). Gambling is seen as a huge waste of money, and addicted or not, can create financial hardship for a family. A LOT of LDS families struggle with money as is (we're also into large families and stay at home parents ) so it's just seen as pointless.

President Joseph F. Smith stated, “The Church does not approve of gambling but strongly condemns it as morally wrong, and classes also with this gambling, games of chance and lottery, of all kinds, and earnestly disapproves of any of its members engaging therein” (“Editor’s Table,” Improvement Era, Aug. 1908, 807).

President Spencer W. Kimball said: “From the beginning we have been advised against gambling of every sort. The deterioration and damage comes to the person, whether he wins or loses, to get something for nothing, something without effort, something without paying the full price” (in Conference Report, Apr. 1975, 6; or Ensign, May 1975, 6).

I don't think it's really considered a sin to gamble, but I do know we're instructed not to pay tithing on gambling winnings. It's not considered "Honest money" because to win at gambling means you intentionally benefited from others' misfortune.

One thing to consider with LDS opinion is that we believe the President of the Church, or Prophet, receives divine revelation from Heavenly Father. Basically, if the Prophet says it, follow it. It may not have a Scriptural base, but there are still Scrolls that haven't been revealed, besides the fact that things have changed since Biblical times (if the Bible were 100% complete in all of it's instructions, then we wouldn't need divine revelation). Note that we're instructed to take ANYTHING the Prophet says to God OURSELVES, and pray about it's truth - we're not supposed to just blindly accept anything.

Last edited by IAmMomMomIAm; September 24th, 2009 at 06:41 AM.
September 25th, 2009, 04:36 AM
kristianna's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just think gambling is poor stewardship of the gifts God has given us. Why throw it away like that? My DH does sometime buy a lotto ticket (he's not a christian) and I just think it's silly.

Thank you Vicki for the BEEautiful siggie!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search