Do you remember......

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 12th, 2009, 03:17 AM
MountainMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MountainMomma
Are you able to easily memorize scriptures or is it something you have to really work at?
What is your best advice to help someone memorize scriptures easier?

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my new siggy!

Click on my blinkies to tour some of my favorite boards!
October 12th, 2009, 05:56 AM
~InHisHands~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Good questions!

I guess it depends on the scripture if I remember it easy or not. If it really means something to me or is significant in some way then it is easy but probably not so easy for all the others.

I really have no clue as to how you can make it easier... for me memorization in general comes by constantly repeating the verse over & over & over & over!

A&A Art ~ My TTC Blog ~ My Pics

"Never confuse acceptance with approval. Without approving
all we do, Jesus accepts all who come to Him." ~
Rick Warren

CLICK HERE to read about my mission trip to Romania! CLICK HERE to see pics!
October 12th, 2009, 12:46 PM
mommy2eden's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Memorizing scripture isn't easy for me. The only thing that works is by reading it over and over and over again

Wife to Garrett
Mother to Eden (7/13/09) and Cooper (7/28/2010)
Follower of Jesus
October 12th, 2009, 07:57 PM
MountainMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MountainMomma
Are you able to easily memorize scriptures or is it something you have to really work at? In most cases, it's something I really have to work at. Every once in a while I will come across a scripture that really jumps out at me and becomes very special to me. In those cases it's easier for me.
What is your best advice to help someone memorize scriptures easier? I have found that if I write a scripture over and over again that helps me with memorizing it. (scriptures or anything else I need to memorize!) That is about the only thing that helps me.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my new siggy!

Click on my blinkies to tour some of my favorite boards!
October 13th, 2009, 06:49 AM
m.and.a
Are you able to easily memorize scriptures or is it something you have to really work at?

I don't memorize scripture. For me, being a student of the Bible makes the Scriptures more memorable than memorizing ever would. For example, if you only memorize ingredients to a recipe, but you don't have the directions, or even know what the ingredients are used to make, what purpose have you served?

What is your best advice to help someone memorize scriptures easier?

My best advice to helping someone become a student of the Bible is to get a source that is helpful in the history of the Bible. Study bibles have a 2-3 page introduction usually. When using the study Bible, I think it is important to remember that the footnotes are not inspired. If not using a study Bible, a book on how to study the Bible, or the history of the books is helpful.

Spend time reading the book, read it over and over again. The first time you read it, read it in one sitting. When you reread it- discover the central theme of the passage if you don't already know from your outside source.

From my own personal studies I have several notebooks that are still in a state of being organized. I have a set of index cards on a ring that are divided into sections. When I am studying with others, or reading something not Biblical, but Christian related and it mentions a scripture I want to go back to at some other time, I make a note of it. I have subject headings like: raising children, prayer, creation/beginning/, verses that use imagery of light when discussing Jesus. I use these cards as an index of sorts.

The most important thing in studying the Scripture is prayer. Pray for God to pursue you- and he will. Before you sit down to read/study- pray for Spiritual wisdom and understanding and for application in your own life.

When designing a Bible study for my small group, I use an outline that supports inductive Bible study that is designed to promote good questions that are thought provoking for the meeting.

The steps are:

"Observation"- taking a good look. It is the who(is the author and to whom is it written), where, when, what(are the actions taking place. words or ideas repeated central to the passage? mood?), why(purpose of the passage), and how(is it written?... parable, letter.. is it organized?) of the passage so that it can properly be used in our lives.

"Interpretation"- what does it mean.

meaning, significance, and explanation

A lot of time when people disagree with something you've shared about the Bible, you may here "Well, that's what you see". If you've discovered the meaning in the passage, it isn't what you see vs. what I see, it's the authors intention- which is the only thing that ultimately matters. In order to know the author's meaning we must know:

- historical context. The book of Thessalonians means so much more if you know that this was a pagan port city and these Christians were very knew. Timothy send a great report of their faithfullness, and Paul writes his letter to encourage them.

-read a commentary- something else a Biblical scholar has written on the book. Commentaries aren't just for those in Bible college getting doctorates in Theology, they're for us too, so that we may have a deeper understanding of what the Word says.

"Application"- the purpose of the scriptures is to Transform our lives. Listening to Lee Strobel yesterday, he said something that stuck with me. He said (paraphrase) that "Jesus didn't come to earth to make bad people good. He came to make the dead people- live". Wow just wow. The scriptures show us how to live, how to transform our lives so that we are no longer dead, and so that we can experience the Holy Spirit and be followers of Christ.

This goes back to the context. We have to know the situation of the original readers. If we're in a situation the same as them- then the Word is to us as it was to them. If our situations aren't the same, then we look for underlying principle of God's Word and apply it to our situation.

Never assume that all Scripture given to the Biblical culture applies to our modern culture.

Questions to ask while studying a passage from Scripture:
-Is there a command for me to obey?
-Is there a promise to claim?
-Is there an example to follow?
-Is there a sin to avoid or confess?
-Is there a reason for thanksgiving or praise?
-Wat does this teach me about God, Jesus, myself, and others?
October 13th, 2009, 04:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
its very easy for me.i used to have over 500 verses word for word memorized. i would just repeat it over and over.
October 13th, 2009, 07:00 PM
CameraLinds's Avatar Zane & Jude's mama
I used to be very good at it, after having Zane my brain hasn't been the greatest

October 15th, 2009, 09:35 PM
happyhme44's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I take the best vitamins around and success I can now finish a sentence after having a baby! lol I however can't remember ANYTHING. I have to write everything down if I didn't I would never remember and then sometimes I lose my list. I am not sure what the reason for this is because I was never this bad before having our daughter. I have note cards all over the place with verses on them! In the car, in the diaper bag, in my bible.

~Thank you Claire for my beautiful siggy!~

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search