Sunday Review

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
October 19th, 2009, 11:31 AM
~InHisHands~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What did you learn at church yesterday?

Our sermon was titled: “Moving Forward, Characteristics of a Powerful Team, Part 2: I Second that Devotion”

Apart from each other we are apt to quit.
Acts 2:42-47:
The Fellowship of the Believers
They devoted themselves to the apostles' teaching and to the fellowship, to the breaking of bread and to prayer. Everyone was filled with awe, and many wonders and miraculous signs were done by the apostles. All the believers were together and had everything in common. Selling their possessions and goods, they gave to anyone as he had need. Every day they continued to meet together in the temple courts. They broke bread in their homes and ate together with glad and sincere hearts, praising God and enjoying the favor of all the people. And the Lord added to their number daily those who were being saved.

Emotions are fickle they come & go.

The Power of Devotion (leads to):
  • Knowledge – create disciples or friends rather than just converts. Hosea 4:5-6, Romans 12:2, 1 Peter 2:2
  • Strength
  • A good memory
  • A good relationship with the coach/creator & others

What's lacking in our church today? Confessing our sins to one another. James 5:16

Paul wrote a whole chapter on his sin – Romans 7

Ecclesiastes 5:4-7
Luke 9:57-62

A&A Art ~ My TTC Blog ~ My Pics

"Never confuse acceptance with approval. Without approving
all we do, Jesus accepts all who come to Him." ~
Rick Warren

CLICK HERE to read about my mission trip to Romania! CLICK HERE to see pics!
October 20th, 2009, 03:24 AM
MountainMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MountainMomma
I didn't get a chance to jot down the scriptures our pastor referenced during his sermon on Sunday (I was in the nursery with my nieces and nephews) but he was talking about how important it is to be spiritually fit. He was comparing it to the exercise craze that so many are in right now and how much time, money and effort people put into exercising their physical bodies, yet they ignore their spiritual side.

He's right too. So many people think they can just go to church on Sunday morning and they are good to go, but that doesn't work. We have to look at church and our bibles as our spiritual gyms. You have to be there daily, praying, studying, reading and praising. If you aren't you are going to get "flabby" spiritually. Like with our bodies, when you start getting older or flabby, your reflexes slow down, so if we are flabby spiritually, then our spiritual reflexes slow down. If that happens, we might miss the chance to witness to someone and we might have been the one person that they needed to hear about God from.

It was an amazing service and of course we followed that up with working on getting physically flabby! We had a special dinner after morning service for Pastor Appreciation month.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my new siggy!

Click on my blinkies to tour some of my favorite boards!
October 20th, 2009, 06:19 AM
I so agree Steph though I don't necessarily think you have to be at church every time the doors are open but you do need to be in the Word on a daily basis.

What's your opinion on that... do you think you should be at church every time you can? We have church services Sunday morning, night & Wednesday night & I admit that I'm there every Sunday morning but not on Sunday nights or Wednesday nights. Sunday nights are our Bible study time & if there is a Bible study I'm interested in I have & will be there but right now there's not so I do my own Bible study at home. Also our church used to go out into the community Wednesday nights just to minister to others & invite them to church so when they stopped doing that I stopped going on Wed nights & now instead Austin & I do a prayer walk in a local apartment complex. I honestly feel like that's enough b/c we are worshipping & serving the Lord daily though not always at church.

Rick Warren

October 20th, 2009, 10:33 AM
MountainMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to MountainMomma
honestly....my opinion on this change a lot. DH and I do try to be at every service we can be at and for a long time we were there every single Sunday morning, Sunday night, Wednesday night and doing something with the youth every Friday night or Saturday. Our church is very small though and if even one family shows up the church can look very empty! Now that I am working, I honestly do good to even make it on Sunday mornings some weeks. A lot of days they work me 11am-7pm on Sundays, and if I can't even stay for the entire Sunday school lesson I usually just arrange for the kids to go with someone or take Matt and the kids on the weeks that he doesn't work. I've been getting a hard time from some of the older ladies now because of it. You know....even if you do believe that someone needs to be there everytime the doors are open, screaming at someone for missing for work is not going to get that person in there.

To be very honest, I really think it's up to each individual. If I were in a larger church, I probably wouldn't feel the need to be there all the time. I do it partially because I know that the pastor needs that support. The real importance and what the minister was trying to stress to others is that you have to be in the word and having a relationship with God more than just on Sunday morning. Right now we have a few people who only show up for Sunday mornings and during the week they do anything and everything that they want to do....usually not very Christian-like behavior. I think the situation is entirely different if you are in the word every day, praying regularly, and having a close relationship with God all the time.

Wow, that was a lot of rambling for a simple question, but I really don't think there is a one size meets all, cookie cutter answer for this one.

Thanks to Jaidynsmum for my new siggy!

Click on my blinkies to tour some of my favorite boards!
October 20th, 2009, 05:00 PM
Oh yeah, definitely. I was just curious of your opinions!

Rick Warren

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search