Thursday Bible Study

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 12th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Abba's Avatar Veteran
Carsonsmom26 and I have been chatting about having a Bible study thread!

I'm planning to post a chapter from Ephesians every Thursday (starting today) and add a few thoughts and questions. I don't intend to teach anything, but am hoping that several of you will be able to spend a few minutes posting your thoughts and questions anytime throughout the week and perhaps a discussion can ensue.

I'm going to try to read the entire book every day and if time becomes a concern, I plan on reading the chapter everyday. I would encourage you to do the same.

Amanda

Ephesians 1

1 Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, To the saints in Ephesus, the faithful in Christ Jesus:

2 Grace and peace to you from God our Father and the Lord Jesus Christ.

3 Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ.

4 For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love

5 he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will—

6 to the praise of his glorious grace, which he has freely given us in the One he loves.

7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace

8 that he lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding.

9 And he made known to us the mystery of his will according to his good pleasure, which he purposed in Christ,

10 to be put into effect when the times will have reached their fulfillment—to bring all things in heaven and on earth together under one head, even Christ.

11 In him we were also chosen, having been predestined according to the plan of him who works out everything in conformity with the purpose of his will,

12 in order that we, who were the first to hope in Christ, might be for the praise of his glory.

13 And you also were included in Christ when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation. Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit,

14 who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God's possession—to the praise of his glory.

15 For this reason, ever since I heard about your faith in the Lord Jesus and your love for all the saints,

16 I have not stopped giving thanks for you, remembering you in my prayers.

17 I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better.

18 I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints,

19 and his incomparably great power for us who believe. That power is like the working of his mighty strength,

20 which he exerted in Christ when he raised him from the dead and seated him at his right hand in the heavenly realms,

21 far above all rule and authority, power and dominion, and every title that can be given, not only in the present age but also in the one to come.

22And God placed all things under his feet and appointed him to be head over everything for the church,

23which is his body, the fullness of him who fills everything in every way.
August 12th, 2010, 10:57 AM
Abba's Avatar Veteran
I know this is only the first chapter, but when I read the entire letter, this jumped out at me. The book seems to be broken into two parts: Chapters 1-3 and 4-6 with 4:1 as the transition

Eph 4:1 As a prisoner for the Lord, then, I urge you to live a life worthy of the calling you have received.

The first three chapters seem to be talking about our "calling" and the last three seem to talk about how to "live a life worthy of the calling".

The "calling" is mentioned in 1:18 and is alluded to earlier when Paul talks about us being chosen and adopted. So here's a question I have... what is "our calling?"

If I think of it as "my purpose" that seems to make a little more sense to me. Vs. 12 seems to answer that...."12 in order that we, who were the first to hope in Christ, might be for the praise of his glory. "

My purpose or calling is to be for the praise of His glory and all of that is made possible only because I am in Christ.

Thoughts?
August 12th, 2010, 04:19 PM
~InHisHands~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What a great idea, Amanda! There is a Bible study sub-forum above that you may consider putting this in. Of course I understand that the sub-forums may be easily missed over the main forum so either is fine... just wanted to throw that out there!

ITA with you.

Verse 1:18, "the hope to which he has called you"... this to me means our abundant life. If we follow Him we will live abundantly not just a mediocre life but an ABUNDANT life & a full life knowing where we are going... Heaven. Heaven & eternal life with Jesus is our "hope".

A&A Art ~ My TTC Blog ~ My Pics

"Never confuse acceptance with approval. Without approving
all we do, Jesus accepts all who come to Him." ~
Rick Warren

CLICK HERE to read about my mission trip to Romania! CLICK HERE to see pics!
August 12th, 2010, 04:28 PM
Mattiez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Amanda
I am so glad you are doing this. I know there have been some good bible studies going on on this board but I have not been a part of them yet. (Lack of time, etc). I really enjoy open discussions on just the bible.
I need to go and read the first chapter of Eph. and get back to the board.
Mattiez
August 12th, 2010, 08:32 PM
3TeamH's Avatar Hayley
Great idea! I am excited to participate. I will come back and give a more in depth reply after I read this chapter a few times and pray over what speaks to me most. This is a big interest of mine lately though, predestination that is.

August 12th, 2010, 08:45 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for doing this, ladies!

The "predestined" really jumped out at me here...maybe because I just recently read The Complete Idiot's Guide to Christianity ( ) to gain a better understanding of other denominations. I wasn't familiar with predestination before - the belief that certain people were chosen to be saved from the very beginning. I always understood that we were given free will to choose...

I agree with the other thoughts on our calling...and also believe that calling refers to the "jobs" (for lack of better description - my head is so fuzzy from this cold!) that we are to do for Him, as Christians. Caring for others, sharing the Word, etc.

Looking forward to these discussions!
August 13th, 2010, 03:42 AM
About predestination... just my thoughts:

I do believe we have free will but I also believe that He knows what our choices are going to be. So He knows who is going to choose Him & who isn't but salvation & Jesus dying on the cross was for every one of us though some won't accept that gift.

Rick Warren

August 13th, 2010, 07:44 AM
3TeamH's Avatar Hayley
^ I agree Amanda. I heard a pastor tell you to imagine two people reaching out to one another. God knows who will reach to Him and He reaches back to those. Not everyone seeks Him, and those will not be accepted into His kingdom.

As of right now I am struggling with verse 18...well I don't know if struggling is the right word. Is it referring to our spiritual gift? I have no idea what my spiritual gift is. My husband and I both feel like God has called me to be a mother, and has called us to adopt.

August 13th, 2010, 08:21 AM
18 could very well be speaking of Spiritual gifts. My church actually gave this survey to us when we first joined... http://utkcru.files.wordpress.com/20...ual_gifts3.pdf Maybe you can take it & get a better understanding of YOUR gift.

Rick Warren

August 13th, 2010, 08:38 AM
Abba's Avatar Veteran
Great discussion.

Predestination can be pretty divisive. IMO the only explanation is that which doesn't contradict other scriptures.

I think there are two main options:

1) God choses specific persons to save and not to save (i.e. Bob, not Joe)

or

2) God choses the kind of person to save (humble and penitent heart, obedient faith) and those not to save (Rev 21:8)

The second choice is the only one that correlates with other scriptures like I Tim 2:4 "God desires all men to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth."
We know that "...God does not show favoritism." Rom 2:11

We can change the kind of person either for good or evil, but we can't change who we are.

If you agree with the first option, then it seems necessary to assume that if you are chosen, your sinful actions have will have zero effect on your salvation. And if you were not chosen, your obedient faith will have zero effect too.

While I believe all of this to be true, I think the easiest thing to do is to go directly back to the verses 4 and 5 in Ephesians.

4For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight. In love

5he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ, in accordance with his pleasure and will—

If you substitute the word "Christians" for "us" in vs 4 since Paul is writing to a group of Christians, it reads that God chose Christians before the creation of the world.

Vs. 5 furthers this as he "predestined" or "decided beforehand" to for Christians to be "adopted as His sons".

So maybe instead of Bob and Susie being "decided beforehand", God "decided beforehand" to adopt sons for Himself.

What do you think?
August 13th, 2010, 08:44 AM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
^ Good explanation. Substituting phrases can really help clarify, although I'm usually too chicken to try it for myself.

From what I was reading in that book, there are some denominations that DO believe that people were actually chosen, though. Like God put everyone in a pile and picked out however many and just kind of left the rest. That's not the loving God that I know, though...nor does is match up with the Scripture I've read.
August 13th, 2010, 09:41 AM
Abba's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragmama View Post
^ Good explanation. Substituting phrases can really help clarify, although I'm usually too chicken to try it for myself.

From what I was reading in that book, there are some denominations that DO believe that people were actually chosen, though. Like God put everyone in a pile and picked out however many and just kind of left the rest. That's not the loving God that I know, though...nor does is match up with the Scripture I've read.
Agree!

I think it a big deal in a lot of denominations. I'm not sure if your book explained which ones - I'm not sure myself.

I wonder why it is such a prevalent teaching?
August 13th, 2010, 09:46 AM
carsonsmom26's Avatar Super Mommy
I am a day behind! Haven't been online !

I am excited about doing this study for several reasons:

learning from the bible
becoming closer with the Lord
MAKING myself take time to read
learning from each of you!

Thank you so much to everyone !

Off to go read while the baby is sleeping!
August 13th, 2010, 04:37 PM
3TeamH's Avatar Hayley
Abba, I really like what you've done with substituting phrases, but I'm not sure I understand 100% the difference between your options. So in my head I've got an If/Then statement occuring and I'm not sure that's always the case. IF you've got certain characteristics such as a humble and penitent heart, obedient faith (option 2) THEN you (Jim, Jane, Sue, Tom, whoever) are "chosen" (option 1). Do you think all people with those characteristics are predestined?

August 14th, 2010, 06:26 AM
Abba's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2gr8kiddos View Post
Abba, I really like what you've done with substituting phrases, but I'm not sure I understand 100% the difference between your options. So in my head I've got an If/Then statement occuring and I'm not sure that's always the case. IF you've got certain characteristics such as a humble and penitent heart, obedient faith (option 2) THEN you (Jim, Jane, Sue, Tom, whoever) are "chosen" (option 1). Do you think all people with those characteristics are predestined?
Well, I see the two options as polar opposites. The first being the more prevalent "predestination doctrine" that negates man's freewill. So the situation could arise that no matter what Man A does that is sinful, he is chosen and receives salvation; and no matter how much faith Man B possess or the the attempts he makes to serve God, they are futile because he is not chosen. I disagree with this idea.

The second idea is the idea that God desires all men to be saved and that any man who choses to accept God's grace and put on Christ is chosen.

I hope that is more clear! Please let me know if not.

I certainly don't want to imply that we in any way earn our salvation by our works - it is only by God's grace.
August 14th, 2010, 08:27 AM
Wow this is a good chapter to start off with. Lots of good stuff to discuss. I read the chapter a number of times from 3 different translations.

The first thing that jumped out at me was also the words "predestined" This has always been a wonder and a curiosity of mine for some time. I have heard many different explanations for it but none of the explanations have fully satisfied my spirit or fully rung true with my spirit.

As I read and re-read this passage the first time predestination was mentioned in verse 5." In love He predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ" So the question is not WHO he predestined but WHAT was predestined.
I think it is clear through many other verses in the bible that God calls us all by the same calling.
But WHAT does he call us (predestine) us to? I believe these verses are talking about the plan of salvation, the gift of Christ, was established, set forth and put in place before the blue prints of the world was ever laid.

Vs. 4 & 5 "For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight, In love he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ in accordance with his pleasure and will."

God knew we would not be perfect, so predestined a redemption for us. All of us who will accept it.

Now on to Vs 11, " having been predestined according to his plan"...
You really have to take vs 11,12 and 13 together and understand the text and people who he was talking to.

He (Paul) was writing to the Ephesians (one of the first churchs, the first generations to witness the fulfillment of the predestined gift of Christ) that he just explained in the earlier verses.

Paul is saying that they are special, they are here at this place and at this time for a reason. " the first hope in Christ" that what the apostles were. " and you were also included in Christ when you heard the word of truth the gospel of your salvation." That was the first churches and us today.

He is talking about the predestined plan of salvation.

Another thing that really jumped out to me and I thought would be a good prayer for this study is in vs. 17 " I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the spirit of wisdom and revelation so that you may know him better."
I think that is a good prayer for all of us, may God give us the spirit of wisdom and revelation so that we may know him better.

I have more to write about what popped out at me about the Holy Spirit and a thought to the question asked earlier about "what is our calling", but that will have to be next post. DH just came home and the kids are hungry for lunch and the day has gotten in full swing.

May God grant me the spirit of wisdom and revelation.
Mattiez
August 14th, 2010, 08:44 AM
Abba's Avatar Veteran
That's a great way to explain it and makes so much sense with the context.

Agree completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattiez View Post
Wow this is a good chapter to start off with. Lots of good stuff to discuss. I read the chapter a number of times from 3 different translations.

The first thing that jumped out at me was also the words "predestined" This has always been a wonder and a curiosity of mine for some time. I have heard many different explanations for it but none of the explanations have fully satisfied my spirit or fully rung true with my spirit.

As I read and re-read this passage the first time predestination was mentioned in verse 5." In love He predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ" So the question is not WHO he predestined but WHAT was predestined.
I think it is clear through many other verses in the bible that God calls us all by the same calling.
But WHAT does he call us (predestine) us to? I believe these verses are talking about the plan of salvation, the gift of Christ, was established, set forth and put in place before the blue prints of the world was ever laid.

Vs. 4 & 5 "For he chose us in him before the creation of the world to be holy and blameless in his sight, In love he predestined us to be adopted as his sons through Jesus Christ in accordance with his pleasure and will."

God knew we would not be perfect, so predestined a redemption for us. All of us who will accept it.

You really have to take vs 11,12 and 13 together and understand the text and people who he was talking to.

He (Paul) was writing to the Ephesians (one of the first churchs, the first generations to witness the fulfillment of the predestined gift of Christ) that he just explained in the earlier verses.

Paul is saying that they are special, they are here at this place and at this time for a reason. " the first hope in Christ" that what the apostles were. " and you were also included in Christ when you heard the word of truth the gospel of your salvation." That was the first churches and us today.

Another thing that really jumped out to me and I thought would be a good prayer for this study is in vs. 17 " I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the spirit of wisdom and revelation so that you may know him better."
I think that is a good prayer for all of us, may God give us the spirit of wisdom and revelation so that we may know him better.

I have more to write about what popped out at me about the Holy Spirit and a thought to the question asked earlier about "what is our calling", but that will have to be next post. DH just came home and the kids are hungry for lunch and the day has gotten in full swing.

Mattiez
August 14th, 2010, 09:16 AM
3TeamH's Avatar Hayley
This is a really great discussion and I am so thankful to all of you willing to share their interpretations with one another This is amazing works in and of itself and I am really cherishing the time I spend here. Praise God!!!

Got to get up and going for the day... more to come later Ephesians 2:8-9

Last edited by 3TeamH; August 14th, 2010 at 10:33 PM.
August 16th, 2010, 12:00 AM
carsonsmom26's Avatar Super Mommy
Thank you for putting it this way! Not WHO but WHAT!
I totally agree with you!

I have to say that reading the same thing daily, comparing notes from nights before, it def changes night by night! I see more into it!

DH is doing this with me and we discuss it together.Has been a wonderful devotional time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattiez View Post

Mattiez
August 16th, 2010, 06:34 AM
A couple more things that stood out to me when from the chapter was vs 13 and 14.
"...Having believed, you were marked in him with a seal, the promised Holy Spirit, who is a deposit guaranteeing our inheritance until the redemption of those who are God's possession..."

This, for me was one more glimpse into the workings of the Holy Spirit. When we accept God's plan of salvation for us, we are given, marked, sealed with a portion of the holy spirit. This is our guarantee, our assurance. In the book of Revelations there is a lot of talking about being marked or sealed for this or for that for the "end times". But we are already "sealed" we have already received the "mark" of God on our lives. This is the Holy Spirit. It is one and the same spirit that is with God. It is real, it is alive and with us here and now. It is our guarantee of redemption.

Now onto a different thought about our life's calling. What we feel we should be doing for Jesus.
A number of years ago I was really struggling with this. I was trying to "find" God's will for my life. I was trying to listen and be obedient. I was asking, "God, what do you want me to do?" But I was really flounder and not seeming to get anywhere. I was not at peace because I felt there was something more. One day I cried out in frustration, with my fists clinched, "Lord, what do you want me to do?" The Lord spoke (yes, spoke) and said, "What do YOU want to do?" with this came a better understanding of what he was saying. God wants us to persue our passions and desires. He is big enough and sovereign enough to to incorporate what ever we do into his marvelous works, if we give it all to him. It would be a pretty small God that we serve (and severely regimented) if he only would allow us, or bless us, in doing one thing and if we didn't happen to find that thing we would miss out on the abundance of God. So do what you do to the Glory of God and He will bless you.

There are people in the bible who were called to great things. Johna was called to preach to Ninava. But he was already a preacher. Moses was called to lead his people, but he was already a leader (of a different people).

So find your passion, give it to God and he will greatly multiply you.
That wasn't really in chapter 1 but it was a question that was asked by someone in a previous post.

I looked over the spiritual inventory test, that was posted by one of you ladies, and it looks like a really good place to start. I am going to take it and see what I come up with and let you all know how it comes out. I think it could be cool if everybody could post their results and let us know what areas we are strongest in. I am betting there will be a whole variety of strengths, which makes for a really good mix of people.

May God grant us the spirit of wisdom and revelation.
Mattiez

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search