Bone marrow search update

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 19th, 2010, 10:44 AM
docsmomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to docsmomma
I just spoke with CoH. I call every Thursday for updates. Todays update was positive, scary, exciting, and a relief.

First, we are not yet ready to move forward to transplant. We are still looking for our perfect donor BUT we are making baby steps. Ideally we want a living donor who is willing to do marrow donation, not periferal stem cells.

At this time we are waiting on testing from 2 living potential donors. One was tested this week and one will be tested next week. 8 have already been tested. So far no living donor matches but these 2 look promising.

However, if necessary we do have a cord blood match we can use. Transplant will happen... its just a matter of when.

I am thrilled to know there is something that we can use, regardless of if it is a living donor or cord blood. Cells are cells... and we need some healthy cells to make our boy healthy.

But I am also terrified, knowing what we are looking at. Let's face it... this kid has never had a bone marrow biopsy done, and he will soon. I can't help but look at the what if's... what if his bone marrow shows something else on top of LCH that makes him unable to be transplanted? I know that happens... the histio community has seen it recently.

Then theres the what if of going to transplant. I refuse to speak those words. I push it out of my mind everytime that nagging voice says what if.... followed by those horrible words.

I can deal with the what if theres long term complications as long as he comes through this a survivor.
August 19th, 2010, 11:54 AM
3TeamH's Avatar Hayley
HUGS and prayers. Is blood type the first "match" for bone marrow transplant?

August 19th, 2010, 12:21 PM
Abba's Avatar Veteran
Keep pushing the nagging voice out!!

Phil 4: 4-7
Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!

Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near.

Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God.

And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.
August 19th, 2010, 02:30 PM
ragmama's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Keep stomping down those nagging voices, Traci! You know what a strong little warrior he is. Always praying!
August 19th, 2010, 05:19 PM
amazingly enough, blood type plays NO factor. In fact, many kids come out with a different blood type after transplant...
August 20th, 2010, 01:16 PM
kellysheree's Avatar balls to the wall
Hmm, that's interesting. I had figured that maybe blood type would be a factor. You learn something new every day.

Keep those nagging voices away Traci! You are so strong and so is Joey! He's such a warrior and the Lord has His hand firmly on all of you! Keeping you in prayer!

**thanks brui77 for my AMAZING siggy**
VISIT MY BLOG: www.faithfullyeverafter.blogspot.com
August 20th, 2010, 05:17 PM
jovon_84's Avatar Super Mommy
I will pray for you all.

How do you become a donor? I give blood regularly and had been wondering how you find out more about bone marrow donation.

August 20th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Mattiez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am continuing to pray for your family.
Mattiez
August 21st, 2010, 05:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jovon_84 View Post
I will pray for you all.

How do you become a donor? I give blood regularly and had been wondering how you find out more about bone marrow donation.
It's really simple actually. Right now Be The Match has a free promo going on so you can register online for free at National Marrow Donor Program - Be The Match Marrow Registry

If that doesn't work though and it tries to charge you, go to DKMS - Bone Marrow Donor Center to register for free. They will send you a swab kit, and all you do is swab your cheeks. They test this. If you are identified as a potential match they contact you for further testing and if identified as a match for a patient, they talk with you about the donation process.

I just ask anyone who signs up to be willing to donate if you get the call/email/letter. Sometimes you may be this kids only chance.
August 21st, 2010, 08:10 PM
Mami's Avatar Christian Parent
Im praying for him everyday!

Thank you JMC1988 for the beautiful siggy!

August 22nd, 2010, 01:16 PM
kellysheree's Avatar balls to the wall
I just got my donor identification card in the mail yesterday! It was free when I signed up a couple of months ago. Being a bi-racial female I knew that it was important that I sign up and give someone a chance.

**thanks brui77 for my AMAZING siggy**
VISIT MY BLOG: www.faithfullyeverafter.blogspot.com
August 22nd, 2010, 02:58 PM
Kerstin's Avatar German American Love
I'll pray for you.
Praise the Lord!

August 22nd, 2010, 04:39 PM
DawnN's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Continued prayers going up for you, your family, and your brave little warrior. ((((huge hugs)))))

August 24th, 2010, 09:32 AM
2Corinthians10:4's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Continued prayers are going out for Joey.

Thank you Kiliki for my beautiful siggy!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search