Sarah & Grace ~ Called & Chosen

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 8th, 2010, 10:36 PM
Mami's Avatar Christian Parent
Question #3. Genesis 12:10-20 Do you think Abram could have handled this situation in a different way? Why did God protect and rescue Sarai?

I think he should have been honest and trusted God instead of taking actions into his hands. Sarai did what she was told by her husband and she was obeying and honoring what her husband had said.

Thank you JMC1988 for the beautiful siggy!

November 9th, 2010, 05:50 AM
~InHisHands~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Question #4. Genesis 15:1-6; Galatians 3:6 What was the foundation of Abraham's relationship with God?

A&A Art ~ My TTC Blog ~ My Pics

"Never confuse acceptance with approval. Without approving
all we do, Jesus accepts all who come to Him." ~
Rick Warren

CLICK HERE to read about my mission trip to Romania! CLICK HERE to see pics!
November 9th, 2010, 07:27 AM
Question #4. Genesis 15:1-6; Galatians 3:6 What was the foundation of Abraham's relationship with God?

He believed and took trust in God with righteousness.

November 9th, 2010, 10:44 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Abraham believed in the Lord's promises.
November 9th, 2010, 02:39 PM
4. Genesis 15:1-6; Galatians 3:6 What was the foundation of Abraham's relationship with God? Faith!!!

Rick Warren

November 9th, 2010, 02:49 PM
As far as Abraham being more honest... it's so easy for us to say that looking back & KNOWING his story but I know he must have had doubts & despite making a mistake & maybe even being a little selfish, God protects him, loves him, & even recognizes what GREAT faith Abraham has (in Romans, I believe (I can find the verses if you would like)). That brings me GREAT comfort b/c as I struggle through IF, I believe God will give me a child but I often have doubt creep in. When it happens I turn back to God for strength & 50 years from now it'd be easy for me to look back & say oh I should have been patient & waited but when you're in the middle of it, trusting & learning to trust & learning to have faith & learning to walk with God daily it can be a challenge but I know He is always with us & is guiding us & as long as we seek Him first & foremost I think He'll help us along the way even though we may not always get it right but as Beth Moore has always said, "I'd rather err on the side of belief than unbelief".

IDK, I just had to share that.

Rick Warren

November 10th, 2010, 06:29 AM
Question #5. Genesis 16:1-16 What is Sarai's solution to their inability to conceive a child? What were the results?

Rick Warren

November 10th, 2010, 07:01 AM
Mattiez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Genesis 15:1-6; Galatians 3:6 What was the foundation of Abraham's relationship with God?
He believed what God had told him. At this point God had made a covenant with Abram, Which was common and a powerful binder in those days. I am not sure what would be equal to it now-a-days. Maybe a notarized contract from God.

Question #5. Genesis 16:1-16 What is Sarai's solution to their inability to conceive a child? What were the results?
Her solution was for Abram to have a child with Saria's servant and them adopt the child as her own.
One thing I have to say in defense of Saria, is that God did not, as far as we know, say that the child was going to come from Saria. It was a covenant with Abram and his seed. It was common in the time for men to have more than one wife and other concubines. And unfortunately, it was common to give other women to men as "Gifts" for a while or a night.
As far as we know, Saria had a lot less to base her faith on. She didn't witness the covenant, she didn't talk to God, she wasn't even told it was going to be her child.

So she came up with what seemed a reasonable, practicable solution at the time, But it wasn't God's plan. She ended up resenting the mother and hating the child because of it.
Mattiez
November 10th, 2010, 07:46 AM

She told Abram to take her slave so she can carry his child since she couldn't. She ended hating her and started mistreating her.

November 10th, 2010, 09:43 AM
Orangebrittainy's Avatar Queen of Randomocity
1.Genesis 11:27-32;20:12 Describe Sarai's family situation-
Sarai, is married to her half brother and barren. Other notes: She comes from a wealthy family and has been blessed with Beauty. I think she Ages well, After all she is in her 60-90's during all of this and they still speak of her beauty.

2.Genesis 12:4 How old is Abram when he leaves Haran for Canaan? Compare Genesis 17:1 to 17:17 How old is Sarai compared to Abram?
Abraham was 75 years old. Abraham is 10 years older than Sarai

3.Genesis 12:10-20 Do you think Abram could have handled this situation in a different way? Why did God protect and rescue Sarai?
I think Abram should have had faith that God would take care of him. If Abram would have been captured then God would have freed him. Sarai still would have been protected and rescued. Although possibly, Sarai's listening to Abram's directions could be shown as proof of her loyalty to her Husband also as proof of her worthiness of God's cause. God's rescuing could have been one of the many things that helped to increase Abram's faith in God.

4.Genesis 15:1-6; Galatians 3:6 What was the foundation of Abraham's relationship with God?
The Foundation of Abraham's relationship with God was Abraham's belief in the promise God made to give Abraham an heir. Abrah amwas willing show show his belief later when asked to through the circumcision of himself and every male in his camp.

5.Genesis 16:1-16 What is Sarai's solution to their inability to conceive a child? What were the results?
Sarai, used the law to provide an Heir for Abraham. It succeeded, Abraham had a son, but at the same time there was spite and jealousy between Sarai and the slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~InHisHands~ View Post
As far as Abraham being more honest... it's so easy for us to say that looking back & KNOWING his story but I know he must have had doubts & despite making a mistake & maybe even being a little selfish, God protects him, loves him, & even recognizes what GREAT faith Abraham has (in Romans, I believe (I can find the verses if you would like)). That brings me GREAT comfort b/c as I struggle through IF, I believe God will give me a child but I often have doubt creep in. When it happens I turn back to God for strength & 50 years from now it'd be easy for me to look back & say oh I should have been patient & waited but when you're in the middle of it, trusting & learning to trust & learning to have faith & learning to walk with God daily it can be a challenge but I know He is always with us & is guiding us & as long as we seek Him first & foremost I think He'll help us along the way even though we may not always get it right but as Beth Moore has always said, "I'd rather err on the side of belief than unbelief".

IDK, I just had to share that.
I can agree Hindsight is 20/20 after all.

Thank you *Kiliki* for once again doing such amazing work on a siggie
I can do all things through Christ which Strengtheneth me. (Phil 4:13)

November 10th, 2010, 10:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I guess Sarai was trying to help out God because she must of gotten desperate so Sarai told Abram to go and get Hagar pregnant because she couldn't get pregnant. Hagar felt a lost of respect towards Sarai because she knew Sarai had done a desperate choice and did not want to wait anymore on the Lord's promise. Hagar was cruelly treated and left and the Lord makes himself known to her and cared for her. Even though Sarai and Abram did not behave good with this young woman God was loving with this young woman, and she got to see the Lord, and Abram didin't he was denied that blessing.
November 10th, 2010, 11:50 AM
5. Genesis 16:1-16 What is Sarai's solution to their inability to conceive a child? What were the results? Sarai gave Abram her maidservant, Hagar, so she could "adopt." The results were disastrous - Sarai & Hagar were miserable.

Rick Warren

November 10th, 2010, 11:48 PM
NewportMamaBear's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to NewportMamaBear
5. Genesis 16:1-16 What is Sarai's solution to their inability to conceive a child? What were the results?

Sarai followed tradition in her times and gave her servant to Abram to try and bear a child. It was successful, but Hagar behaved badly and Sarai blamed it all on Abram. With his permission she punished Hagar and Hagar ran away. Hagar was met by an angel and told that her that she would be made into a great nation. She returned to Abram & Sarai and had her son, Ishmael.
November 11th, 2010, 03:04 AM
Question #6. Genesis 17:1-27 List God's covenant promises to Abram (Abraham). What was Abram's part of the bargain? List God's covenant promises to Sarai (Sarah). Compare the two lists. Name the similarities. What came first - the covenant or the sign of the covenant? (See Genesis 15:18)

Rick Warren

November 12th, 2010, 01:05 AM
NewportMamaBear's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to NewportMamaBear
Question #6. Genesis 17:1-27 List God's covenant promises to Abram (Abraham). What was Abram's part of the bargain? List God's covenant promises to Sarai (Sarah). Compare the two lists. Name the similarities. What came first - the covenant or the sign of the covenant? (See Genesis 15:18)

Abram
Changing name to Abraham
He will be the father of a multitude of nations
Millions of descendants
Kings among the descendants
The covenant will continue forever
God will give them all the land of Canaan

Abraham must-obey the terms, every male shall be circumcised on the 8th day after his birth (descendants & slaves)

Sarai
Changing name to Sarah
She will have a son
She will be the mother of nations
Kings among descendants

As to the covenant or the sign of the covenant--I'm confused
November 12th, 2010, 07:28 AM

Abram Covenants
*He now was named Abraham
*He will be father of a many of nations
*Kings will come from him
*Lots of descendants will come from him
*The covenant was everlasting
*The land, Canaan where he resided will be his

Abraham would have a son and every one had to circumcised.

Sarai
*Changed name to Sarah
*She will bear a son
*She will be the mother of nations
*Kings will come from descendants

They both we mother/father of nations, kings will come from descendants and they changed their name.

I guess the covenant came first.

November 12th, 2010, 08:03 AM
Mattiez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Question #6. Genesis 17:1-27 List God's covenant promises to Abram (Abraham).
Greatly increase your number. father of many nations, called Abraham, kings will come from you, give you the land of Canaan.

What was Abram's part of the bargain?
Must keep this covenant for all future generations, All male of the house hold must be circumcised,

List God's covenant promises to Sarai (Sarah).
Change her name to Sarah
will have a son
will be the mother of nations.

Compare the two lists. Name the similarities.
change of name
have a child
the start of nations

What came first - the covenant or the sign of the covenant? (See Genesis 15:18)
Hmmmmm in vs. 15:18 it said "on that day the Lord made a covenant with abram" so it looks like Abraham received a covenant form God before he received all the promises which show up latter in chapter 17. Latter in chapter 17 is when he is given more details and is told Sarah will have a child. I believe this is part of why the mix up with the handmade and Ishmael.

Mattiez
November 12th, 2010, 03:14 PM
7. Genesis 18:1-15; 19:1 Who were the visitors? What was Sarah promised?

November 12th, 2010, 11:14 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I think the visitors were Jesus and two angels. Sarah was promised a son.
November 13th, 2010, 07:54 AM
7. Genesis 18:1-15; 19:1 Who were the visitors? What was Sarah promised?
Three men that God had brought. Sarah was promised a son.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search