Sarah & Grace ~ Called & Chosen

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 13th, 2010, 08:04 AM
Mami's Avatar Christian Parent
8. Genesis 20:1-17 Why would Abraham once again put Sarah at risk? Do you think Abraham and Sarah more than anyone else deserved to be blessed of God? Why would God once again rescue Sarah from the consequences of their foolish actions? And why would he prosper them as well?

Thank you JMC1988 for the beautiful siggy!

November 13th, 2010, 02:31 PM
~InHisHands~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks Melissa for posting the questions for me while I was recovering!

Next question will be posted Tuesday.

6. Genesis 17:1-27 List God's covenant promises to Abram (Abraham). What was Abram's part of the bargain? List God's covenant promises to Sarai (Sarah). Compare the two lists. Name the similarities. What came first - the covenant or the sign of the covenant? (See Genesis 15:18)
Covenent promises to Abraham:
  • * He would be the father of many nations *
  • * He will be fruitful *
  • * He will make many nations & many kings *
  • Canaan would be an everlasting possession
  • The covenant would be everlasting
  • God would be Abraham's descendants' everlasting God

Abraham's part of the bargain:
  • Him & every male of his household much undergo circumcision
  • All his male descendants must be circumcised

Covenent promises to Sarah:
  • *She will be blessed *
  • * She will have a son *
  • * She will be the mother of nations & of kings *

Similarities are marked with an astrick (*).

The covenant comes first (before the sign of circumcision) but why is this important? What does it mean? What significance is there?

7. Genesis 18:1-15; 19:1 Who were the visitors? What was Sarah promised? The visitors were angels. Sarah was promised that she WOULD have a child. I have to add something about this particular scripture:

Then the LORD said, "I will surely return to you about this time next year, and Sarah your wife will have a son."
Now Sarah was listening at the entrance to the tent, which was behind him. Abraham and Sarah were already old and well advanced in years, and Sarah was past the age of childbearing. So Sarah laughed to herself as she thought, "After I am worn out and my master is old, will I now have this pleasure?" ~ Genesis 18:10-12

Right now, I think I can kinda understand Sarah's laughing. I mean she has gone years & years & years & has even moved on with her life & NOW she's going to get pregnant.

8. Genesis 20:1-17 Why would Abraham once again put Sarah at risk? Do you think Abraham and Sarah more than anyone else deserved to be blessed of God? Why would God once again rescue Sarah from the consequences of their foolish actions? And why would he prosper them as well? I do think they should be GREATLY blessed & maybe even a *little* more than others but I'm not sure really. I do trust God to bless them as much as they deserve & me (& others) as much as we should be. He prospers them b/c of the covenant he made with Abraham.

A&A Art ~ My TTC Blog ~ My Pics

"Never confuse acceptance with approval. Without approving
all we do, Jesus accepts all who come to Him." ~
Rick Warren

CLICK HERE to read about my mission trip to Romania! CLICK HERE to see pics!
November 14th, 2010, 06:00 PM
Mattiez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Genesis 18:1-15; 19:1 Who were the visitors? What was Sarah promised?

I think it was God and two angels. Sarah was promised a son.
November 14th, 2010, 06:22 PM
Mattiez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Genesis 20:1-17 Why would Abraham once again put Sarah at risk?
I don't really know. I kind of what to smack him on the head for that. Unless he simply didn't learn his lesson the first time around and didn't fully trust God to provide for his safety.

Do you think Abraham and Sarah more than anyone else deserved to be blessed of God? I think if you look at it in the time frame in which they lived. It sounds like very few people worship and reverenced God in those days. It seems like God set out to change that around. God set out, through people, to change that. Like in the time of Noah, God found only Noah and his family to be upright before God. But this time instead of wiping everyone out except Abraham and his family. He choose to overcome it in a different way. He choose to make a large people out of his faithful few. Israel is a chosen people, but what are they chosen for???? To be a nation of priests for the rest of the world. So all the rest of the world would be blessed/drawn to God, through them. The nation that sheds the light to the rest of the world.
So Yes, God choose his most faithful person to teach his decedents about God, who teach theirs decedents, who teach theirs and so on. So if God is going to have this come to pass he had better bless and protect them REAL GOOD.

Why would God once again rescue Sarah from the consequences of their foolish actions? And why would he prosper them as well?
I think I got carried away and answered this in the previous question.
I think He rescued Sarah again because, we all make dumb choices and If God gives up on us after just 2 dumb choices, we would all be out of luck.
If God is going to make a great nation of them he needs to prosper them, otherwise they would just be kind of a punie nation.

Last edited by Mattiez; November 14th, 2010 at 06:25 PM.
November 16th, 2010, 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattiez View Post
I kind of what to smack him on the head for that.

Question #9. Genesis 21:1-7; Galatians 4:22-23 How old were Abraham and Sarah when Isaac was born? Why would God wait so long to keep his promise?

Rick Warren

November 16th, 2010, 09:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Abraham was 100 yrs old and Sarah was 90. Abraham and Sarah waited but i don't think God waited because he already knew when Isaac would be born.
November 16th, 2010, 06:37 PM
9. Genesis 21:1-7; Galatians 4:22-23 How old were Abraham and Sarah when Isaac was born? Why would God wait so long to keep his promise? Abraham was 100 & Sarah was 90 when Isaac was born. He waited because He was preparing Abraham & Sarah for the assignment (being the father & mother of many nations).

Rick Warren

November 17th, 2010, 07:01 AM
Question #10. Genesis 21:10-12; Galatians 4:30; 5:4-6 What do Sarah's prophetic words mean? What makes a person a child of promise - child of the free woman Sarah?

Rick Warren

November 17th, 2010, 08:32 PM
oh goodness. I need to catch up!

November 18th, 2010, 05:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mami View Post
oh goodness. I need to catch up!
I def understand though... you're doing the Holiday challenge which I'm sure is taking lots of time. I haven't gotten in there yet (to the challenge) & have been wanting to. And I did get your PMs & will reply but gotta prioritize some!

10. Genesis 21:10-12; Galatians 4:30; 5:4-6 What do Sarah's prophetic words mean? What makes a person a child of promise - child of the free woman Sarah? Sarah's words mean that you can't live by the law & faith both. Is is one or the other. Faith (expressing itself through love) makes a person a child of promise.

Today's question:

Part II Called to be Saints

(The New Strong's Expanded Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible gives these definitions of 2821 klesis (calling) klesis: an invitation, vocation, or calling; and 40 hagios (saints) hagios: sacred, consecrated, separated from sin, devoted to God, saints)

1. Romans 1:1-5 What was the Apostle Paul invited to become and what was he invited to do?

Rick Warren

November 18th, 2010, 09:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
chosen by God to be an apostle and sent out to preach his good news.
November 19th, 2010, 07:50 AM
1. Romans 1:1-5 What was the Apostle Paul invited to become and what was he invited to do? He was invited to become an apostle & to call people from the Gentiles to obedience by faith (i.e. obedience to the Lord for the Gentiles or saving their souls).

Today's question...
2. Romans 1:5-7 What four facets of God's invitation (calling) are revealed in this passage?

Next question will be posted Monday!

Rick Warren

November 19th, 2010, 09:11 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~InHisHands~ View Post
I def understand though... you're doing the Holiday challenge which I'm sure is taking lots of time. I haven't gotten in there yet (to the challenge) & have been wanting to. And I did get your PMs & will reply but gotta prioritize some!
Yeah it is a little, lol. You should join us for fun! Ok, no problem about pms...I know our busy.

Tomorrow, I am going to answer all bible study questions, now don't post anymore over the weekend so I can catch up.

November 20th, 2010, 05:49 AM
Quote:
Tomorrow, I am going to answer all bible study questions, now don't post anymore over the weekend so I can catch up.

2. Romans 1:5-7 What four facets of God's invitation (calling) are revealed in this passage?
  1. We've received grace & apostleship to call Gentiles (unbelievers) to the obedience that comes from faith (preach the good news of Jesus).
  2. We/you are ALSO among those called to belong to Jesus.
  3. Grace & peace is ours from God our Father.
  4. Grace & peace is ours from the Lord Jesus Christ.

Rick Warren

November 20th, 2010, 09:12 AM
8. Genesis 20:1-17 Why would Abraham once again put Sarah at risk? Do you think Abraham and Sarah more than anyone else deserved to be blessed of God? Why would God once again rescue Sarah from the consequences of their foolish actions? And why would he prosper them as well?
I seriously have no idea, he should have trusted in God's promise. I think everyone should be blessed by God and if you believe in him and trust then you should. God rescued her because he needed them both to be from a great nation.

Question #9. Genesis 21:1-7; Galatians 4:22-23 How old were Abraham and Sarah when Isaac was born? Why would God wait so long to keep his promise?
Abraham was 100 yrs old and Sarah 90 yrs old. Because he wanted to prepare them for being father & mother of the nation.

Question #10. Genesis 21:10-12; Galatians 4:30; 5:4-6 What do Sarah's prophetic words mean? What makes a person a child of promise - child of the free woman Sarah?
Sarah was saying that you have a child by faith or law not both. Only child of faith makes a promise.

Part II Called to be Saints

1. Romans 1:1-5 What was the Apostle Paul invited to become and what was he invited to do?
He was called to be an apostle and set apart for the gospel of God and call all the Gentiles to the obedience of faith.

1- We received grace and apostleship to call all the Gentiles to the obedience that comes from faith for Jesus name’s sake.
2- We are among those who are called to belong to Jesus Christ.
3- Loved by God and called to be his holy people
4- Grace and peace is ours from God our Father and from the Lord Jesus Christ

Finally caught up!

November 20th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Quote:
Finally caught up!

Rick Warren

November 22nd, 2010, 06:20 AM
Question #3. Romans 8:28-30; I Corinthians 1:2 What is God's purpose in extending his invitation or calling?

Rick Warren

November 23rd, 2010, 04:17 PM
3. Romans 8:28-30; I Corinthians 1:2 What is God's purpose in extending his invitation or calling? To sanctify us, to make us holy, to justify & glorify us. Most importantly, I think, to conform us into the likeness of Jesus (so that He (Jesus) will be the firstborn among many brothers (& sisters)).

And today's question:
4. I Corinthians 1:26-31; Matthew 9:12-13 Who is God inviting? And why?

Rick Warren

November 24th, 2010, 05:26 AM
4. I Corinthians 1:26-31; Matthew 9:12-13 Who is God inviting? And why? God is inviting the foolish, the average, the lowly, the weak, sinners. Why? Because sinners need to be redeemed not righteous & because He uses the foolish/average/lowly/weak things to shame & nullify the wise/above-average/high/strong of this world so that no one can boast unless they "boast in the Lord."

Today's question:
5. Ephesians 4:1-3; II Thessalonians 1:11-12 What are the responsibilities that a person accepts along with God's invitation?

Due to the Thanksgiving holiday, the next quesiton will be posted Monday, 11/29

Rick Warren

November 24th, 2010, 12:46 PM
I have been falling behind again. Been busy, I will do bible study on Fri/Sat.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search