Sarah & Grace ~ Called & Chosen

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 27th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Mattiez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have a lot of catching up to do.

Question #9. Genesis 21:1-7; Galatians 4:22-23 How old were Abraham and Sarah when Isaac was born? Why would God wait so long to keep his promise?
Abraham was 100, Sara was 90. I don't really think God waited to keep his promise but it came at the right time. Rather why was Abraham and Sara so old when God's timing came about? I am not sure.

Question #10. Genesis 21:10-12; Galatians 4:30; 5:4-6 What do Sarah's prophetic words mean? What makes a person a child of promise - child of the free woman Sarah? It is talking about the 2 different nations that will arise from Abraham. One under the promise of God and one not basically.

Part II Called to be Saints

1. Romans 1:1-5 What was the Apostle Paul invited to become and what was he invited to do? Those who are called to belong to Jesus. He recieved grace and apostleship to call those from among the faith.

2. Romans 1:5-7 What four facets of God's invitation (calling) are revealed in this passage? Taking a stab at this one. Grace, apostleship, obedience and faith

3. Romans 8:28-30; I Corinthians 1:2 What is God's purpose in extending his invitation or calling? to sanctify people to be holy.

4. I Corinthians 1:26-31; Matthew 9:12-13 Who is God inviting? And why? The sinner. All of us. Why, because we are the ones who need His grace.

5. Ephesians 4:1-3; II Thessalonians 1:11-12 What are the responsibilities that a person accepts along with God's invitation?

Live a life worthy of the calling, be humble, gentle, patient, Keep unity in the spirit,

Mattiez
November 28th, 2010, 02:58 AM
~InHisHands~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oh I just realized I haven't answered #5.

LOVED reading through your answers Mattiez!

5. Ephesians 4:1-3; II Thessalonians 1:11-12 What are the responsibilities that a person accepts along with God's invitation? Live a life worthy of Him & His calling by being humble, gentle, patient, bearing with one another in love, making every effort to keep the peace with other believers, glorify Him, FAITH!!!

This particular scripture really spoke to me in this verse:

"With this in mind, we constantly pray for you, that by his power he may fulfill every act prompted by your faith." ~ 2 Thessalonians 1:11 (somewhat adapted by me)

A&A Art ~ My TTC Blog ~ My Pics

"Never confuse acceptance with approval. Without approving
all we do, Jesus accepts all who come to Him." ~
Rick Warren

CLICK HERE to read about my mission trip to Romania! CLICK HERE to see pics!
November 28th, 2010, 09:47 AM
NewportMamaBear's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to NewportMamaBear
I'm very far behind also
November 28th, 2010, 10:23 AM
7. Genesis 18:1-15; 19:1 Who were the visitors? What was Sarah promised?
God and two angels. Sarah was promised to be given a son.

8. Genesis 20:1-17 Why would Abraham once again put Sarah at risk? Do you think Abraham and Sarah more than anyone else deserved to be blessed of God? Why would God once again rescue Sarah from the consequences of their foolish actions? And why would he prosper them as well?
Abraham is watching out for his own neck yet again, not having faith in God's promises. I don't think they deserved it more than anyone else, but God obviously did. He rescued Sarah because of His promise.

9. Genesis 21:1-7; Galatians 4:22-23 How old were Abraham and Sarah when Isaac was born? Why would God wait so long to keep his promise?
100 and 90 years respectively. God needed them to be ready to father the nations.

10. Genesis 21:10-12; Galatians 4:30; 5:4-6 What do Sarah's prophetic words mean? What makes a person a child of promise - child of the free woman Sarah?
They mean that the slave's son could not inherit what God had promised to Abraham & Sarah's son.

Part II Called to be Saints

1. Romans 1:1-5 What was the Apostle Paul invited to become and what was he invited to do?
Paul was chosen to be a missionary and to spread/preach God's Good News.

2. Romans 1:5-7 What four facets of God's invitation (calling) are revealed in this passage?
1. God's kindness has been poured upon the sinners
2. To tell others of great things God has done so that others will believe and obey Him
3. The Romans are invited to be God's holy people
4. God's mercies & peace will be theirs

Question #3. Romans 8:28-30; I Corinthians 1:2 What is God's purpose in extending his invitation or calling?
To fill us with Christ's goodness, make us clean, give us right standing with him and promise his glory.

4. I Corinthians 1:26-31; Matthew 9:12-13 Who is God inviting? And why?
The sinners, the weak, the foolish...so that they cannot boast of their own doings, but only of God's doings.

5. Ephesians 4:1-3; II Thessalonians 1:11-12 What are the responsibilities that a person accepts along with God's invitation?
Be humble & gentle, be patient with each other (make allowances for faults), try always to be led together by the Holy Spirit and be at peace with one another
November 29th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Sorry it has taken so long to post #6...

6. Genesis 17:1-27 List God's covenant promises to Abram (Abraham). What was Abram's part of the bargain? List God's covenant promises to Sarai (Sarah). Compare the two lists. Name the similarities. What came first - the covenant or the sign of the covenant? (See Genesis 15:18)

Rick Warren

November 29th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Amanda-I think we answered that one already.
November 30th, 2010, 04:30 AM
Oh, oops! That was from Part 1 -- we're on Part 2... duh! I obviously wasn't thinking straight... that's what a headache will do, huh?

Yesterday's question:
6. Ephesians 1:18-21; 2:4-10 What are the benefits of accepting God's invitation?

And today's question:
7. II Peter 1:3-11; Hebrews 3:1 How can you “make your calling and election sure?” (II Peter 1:10)

Rick Warren

December 1st, 2010, 05:00 AM
6. Ephesians 1:18-21; 2:4-10 What are the benefits of accepting God's invitation? HOPE!!! Riches (in heaven), His great power & mighty strength in our lives. We have a calling (a purpose in life). His GREAT love, His mercy. We are alive in Christ now even though we were once dead in sin. His grace. Eternal life in heaven with Jesus. His kindness, His gifts.

7. II Peter 1:3-11; Hebrews 3:1 How can you “make your calling and election sure?” (II Peter 1:10) Keeping your thoughts on Jesus & always seeking to increase your faith, goodness, knowledge, self-control, perseverance, godliness, brotherly kindness & love.

And for today...

Part III God's Chosen

1. Acts 13:16-41 Why did God choose (v.17) the fathers of the people of Israel? (v.23) Why should this be important to you? (v.38-41)

Rick Warren

December 1st, 2010, 07:24 AM
Mami's Avatar Christian Parent
3. Romans 8:28-30; I Corinthians 1:2 What is God's purpose in extending his invitation or calling?
His purpose was to clean us and make us holy.

And today's question:
4. I Corinthians 1:26-31; Matthew 9:12-13 Who is God inviting? And why?
He is inviting all the sinners, weak, foolish, lowly, and average. So they can boast their doings only God's doing.

We need to be gentle & humble and be on peace with one another through the Holy Spirit.

6. Ephesians 1:18-21; 2:4-10 What are the benefits of accepting God's invitation?
That everyone has riches in heaven with great power & mighty strength. God made us alive his mercy & saved by grace. WE are are alive by Christ to do good works and our calling.

7. II Peter 1:3-11; Hebrews 3:1 How can you “make your calling and election sure?” (II Peter 1:10)
To keep our thoughts on Jesus to continue & increase our faith, goodness, knowledge, self-control, perseverance, godliness, mutual affection, and love. We will never stumble if we do these things.

Part III God's Chosen

1. Acts 13:16-41 Why did God choose (v.17) the fathers of the people of Israel? (v.23) Why should this be important to you? (v.38-41)

Because he had given that land to their ancestors who overthrew seven nations in Canaan.
Because are sins are forgiven through Jesus Christ and everyone who believes in him is free of sin though Him.

Finally caught up!

Thank you JMC1988 for the beautiful siggy!

December 2nd, 2010, 06:36 AM

1. Acts 13:16-41 Why did God choose (v.17) the fathers of the people of Israel? (v.23) Why should this be important to you? (v.38-41) Why did He chose the fathers? (???) to bring forth Jesus. This should be important because through Jesus, everyone who believes in Him is forgiven of sin.

Today's question...
2. Matthew 22:1-14 Why, since many are invited, would few be chosen?

Rick Warren

December 3rd, 2010, 08:52 AM
2. Matthew 22:1-14 Why, since many are invited, would few be chosen? (???) Some are not worthy of the calling (not worthy to be chosen). Of course none of us are "worthy" so I don't know.

Today's question...
3. I Thessalonians 1:4-6 How does God invite and choose his people?

Next question will be posed Monday.

Rick Warren

Last edited by ~InHisHands~; December 8th, 2010 at 09:01 AM.
December 3rd, 2010, 11:01 AM
Mami's Avatar Christian Parent
2. Matthew 22:1-14 Why, since many are invited, would few be chosen?
Ok, I am confused on this question. I guess some may not be worthy to be chosen.

Through the Holy Spirit

Thank you JMC1988 for the beautiful siggy!

December 6th, 2010, 08:54 AM
3. I Thessalonians 1:4-6 How does God invite and choose his people? He invites us through His Word (the Gospel) & chooses us through the Holy Spirit (by giving us the Holy Spirit).

Today's question...
4. Colossians 3:1-4:1; I Thessalonians 1:7-10; John 15:16-17; I Peter 2:9-12 What is expected from God's chosen people?

Rick Warren

December 7th, 2010, 04:29 PM
4. Colossians 3:1-4:1; I Thessalonians 1:7-10; John 15:16-17; I Peter 2:9-12 What is expected from God's chosen people? Set your hearts & minds on things above rather than on earthly things, be a model to all believers, speak the Lord's message, show your faith in God everywhere you go, turn from idols & serve the one TRUE God, go & bear fruit, love each other, praise Him, abstain from sinful desires, & live good lives.

Today's question...
5. John 17:24-26; Revelation 17:14; 21:1-7; 22:12 Do you want to be one of the “called, chosen and faithful followers” who receive a reward from God and Jesus, the Lord of lords and King of kings?

Rick Warren

December 8th, 2010, 07:02 AM
Mattiez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Given the spirit of wisdom and revelation to know him better. incomparable great power

Both of these verses speak to people who already believed in Christ and are called (in my bible, holy brothers) . The only part that speaks to unbelievers is "make every effort to add to your faith..." So the prerequisite for God's favor must be faith. All the other attributes are added on top of this one.

Part III God's Chosen

He choose the linage of Abraham to bring forth Christ. Christ brings redemption to all who believe.

2. Matthew 22:1-14 Why, since many are invited, would few be chosen? (???)

That does seem like an odd sentence to end the story of the wedding feast.
A note in my bible says, "Why was the king so upset about his guest's clothes? Royal weddings were elaborate. If a guest of the king was unable to find suitable attire the king himself could provide something to wear. This particular guest had apparently rejected the garments provided by the king."

It seems like all were invited but only those who chose to accept the invitation of the king and his generosity would be chosen to participate in the banquet.

I don't think this vs. really says how God invites his people. For these particular people it was evident that that they were believers because of the manifestation of power of the holy spirit, conviction and power.

4. Colossians 3:1-4:1; I Thessalonians 1:7-10; John 15:16-17; I Peter 2:9-12 What is expected from God's chosen people?
Set your mind of hevenly things, do what is right and fair, worship the living God, Wait on Jesus for our rescue, bear fruit that will last, love one another, be strangers in the world, abstain from sinful desires.

5. John 17:24-26; Revelation 17:14; 21:1-7; 22:12 Do you want to be one of the “called, chosen and faithful followers” who receive a reward from God and Jesus, the Lord of lords and King of kings?
December 8th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattiez View Post
2. Matthew 22:1-14 Why, since many are invited, would few be chosen? (???)

That does seem like an odd sentence to end the story of the wedding feast.
A note in my bible says, "Why was the king so upset about his guest's clothes? Royal weddings were elaborate. If a guest of the king was unable to find suitable attire the king himself could provide something to wear. This particular guest had apparently rejected the garments provided by the king."

It seems like all were invited but only those who chose to accept the invitation of the king and his generosity would be chosen to participate in the banquet.
Thank you for sharing this... it makes more sense now! Of course they aren't worthy if they reject the kings gift of generosity. And the difference lies in that some accept that gift, whereas others don't.

5. John 17:24-26; Revelation 17:14; 21:1-7; 22:12 Do you want to be one of the “called, chosen and faithful followers” who receive a reward from God and Jesus, the Lord of lords and King of kings? Yes!!! Revelations 21:1-7 spoke most to me, especially, "He will wipe every tear from their eyes. To him who is thirsty I will give to drink without cost from the spring of the water of life. He who overcomes will inherit all this, and I will be his God and he will be my son" (4a, 6b-7).

Today's question...
6. Acts 2:37-41; John 3:3-21; John 4:10, 13-14; James 2:21-24 What steps must a person take to accept God's invitation and then be chosen by him to become one of his faithful followers?

Rick Warren

December 9th, 2010, 03:10 PM
6. Acts 2:37-41; John 3:3-21; John 4:10, 13-14; James 2:21-24 What steps must a person take to accept God's invitation and then be chosen by him to become one of his faithful followers? Repent & be baptized. Ask for forgiveness of your sins. Believe & trust Jesus for eternal life. Faith & ACTION. If we do these things, He sill place His seal (Holy Spirit) on us. Obedience.

Last question in this study, ladies...
7. Isaiah 55:6-7 What advice does God give the procrastinator?

Rick Warren

December 14th, 2010, 07:33 PM
7. Isaiah 55:6-7 What advice does God give the procrastinator? Seek the Lord while He is near & may be found (i.e. don't wait until it's too late).

Rick Warren

December 28th, 2010, 10:48 AM
Just wanted to bump this one last time so that you can finish it if you want!

Rick Warren

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search