Sarah & Grace ~ Called & Chosen

Forum: Christian Parenting

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Christian Parenting LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
November 3rd, 2010, 07:24 AM
~InHisHands~'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Bible Study Guide: Sarah and Grace, Called and Chosen

So today, please prepare by reading Sarah and Grace & Genesis 11:27-Genesis 22 (or maybe even just skim through it to re-familiarize yourself with it; I didn't read ALL of it while I prepared for the study so if you don't get a chance to read every word that's okay, you can still participate).

We'll start with our first question tomorrow!

A&A Art ~ My TTC Blog ~ My Pics

"Never confuse acceptance with approval. Without approving
all we do, Jesus accepts all who come to Him." ~
Rick Warren

CLICK HERE to read about my mission trip to Romania! CLICK HERE to see pics!
November 3rd, 2010, 09:40 AM
NewportMamaBear's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to NewportMamaBear
Sounds good. I'll do some reading today.
November 4th, 2010, 06:15 AM
Part I Sarah's Example

1. Genesis 11:27-32;20:12 Describe Sarai's family situation.

Rick Warren

November 4th, 2010, 12:04 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I did not know that they had the same father but not the same mother. I learned something today
November 4th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitz View Post
I did not know that they had the same father but not the same mother. I learned something today
That's AWESOME!!! I love it when I learn something new from the Bible which I am always doing, BTW.

My answer to the 1st question...

1. Genesis 11:27-32;20:12 Describe Sarai's family situation. Married to her half brother. Was barren (childless).

Rick Warren

November 4th, 2010, 03:54 PM
I also did not know about the half-sibling thing. She was barren and it is made very clear in the first passage.
November 4th, 2010, 06:11 PM
Mattiez's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
She was fairly wealthy. I would assume she was very beautiful (since 2 kings took her as their wife, at Abraham's suggestion)( I would be a little ticked about that, personally) She lived a bit of a mobile lifestyle. They moved quite a number of times since they were married. She was on in years, around 90.
November 4th, 2010, 09:53 PM
Mami's Avatar Christian Parent
Married to her half brother and she couldn't conceive.

Thank you JMC1988 for the beautiful siggy!

November 5th, 2010, 03:56 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattiez View Post
She was fairly wealthy. I would assume she was very beautiful (since 2 kings took her as their wife, at Abraham's suggestion)( I would be a little ticked about that, personally) She lived a bit of a mobile lifestyle. They moved quite a number of times since they were married. She was on in years, around 90.
I missed that... does it actually say that? Where does it say that? I know that Abraham & her both said she was his sister so that the kings felt free to take her but didn't see where Abraham actually suggested this. That's just interesting & I wanted to get some more perspective on this.

Question #2:
2. Genesis 12:4 How old is Abram when he leaves Haran for Canaan? Compare Genesis 17:1 to 17:17 How old is Sarai compared to Abram?

Question #3 will be posted on Monday.

Rick Warren

November 5th, 2010, 09:02 AM
does it actually say that? Where does it say that?
Yep, In Gen. 12: 11-13 and Gen 20:2

"As he was about to enter Egypt, he said to his wife Sarai, "I know what a beautiful woman you are. When the Egyptians see you, they will say, This is his wife. Then they will kill me but will let you live. Say you are my sister, so that I will be treated well for you sake and my life will be spared because of you."
(And he was treated well because of her)

Then in happens again with a different king in Gen 20:2. But this one doesn't give as much detail.
November 5th, 2010, 10:00 AM
I don't read that to be that Abraham suggested that the kings take her to be their wives (or maybe I read your previous post wrong & you never actually said that or meant that anyway ). I do read that to mean that he knew the kings might want to harm him to get to her so he sorta lied (okay well, it's a lie of omission anyway) so I do believe he knew it was a possibility but not that he suggested it.

Note: there is no right or wrong answers here & this is a discussion & that's one of the GREAT things about a bible study is that you can read a verse & understand it to be completely different than someone else interprets it so it is GREAT to share & obtain other's perspectives in order to further your own exploration & understanding of scripture. And, WOW... what a run-on sentence that was!

My answer to Question 2:
2. Genesis 12:4 How old is Abram when he leaves Haran for Canaan? Compare Genesis 17:1 to 17:17 How old is Sarai compared to Abram? Abram is 75 when he leaves Haran. Sarai is 10 years younger than Abram. I'm 10 years younger than Mike.

Rick Warren

November 5th, 2010, 10:33 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Abram was 75. Sarai was ten years younger than Abram. Oh btw last night i asked my dh did you know that Abraham and Sarah were related and he said no that is not true and i showed him Genesis 21:12 he was surprised he did not know that

Last edited by Glitz; November 5th, 2010 at 10:45 AM.
November 5th, 2010, 08:30 PM
I don't read that to be that Abraham suggested that the kings take her to be their wives (or maybe I read your previous post wrong & you never actually said that or meant that anyway ). I do read that to mean that he knew the kings might want to harm him to get to her so he sorta lied (okay well, it's a lie of omission anyway) so I do believe he knew it was a possibility but not that he suggested it.

Oh, I see what you are saying. No, I wasn't trying to say that Abram suggested to the king that the king should take her for his wife. I was saying that Abram suggested to Sarai that they deny being married and only say they are brother and sister. Resulting in the king taking her as his wife.
Which would still tick me off

Abram was 75 and Sarai was 65

Mattiez
November 7th, 2010, 08:32 AM
LisaW's Avatar Blessed Mama
You do have to wonder if he knew that's what would happen, though. He knew she was beautiful. He knew that if they said they were married, they would harm him.... in order to have her as their own?? I just can't help but wonder if he suspected Pharoah would take her as his wife. At what point do you stop the facade?

I found it interesting that the Lord inflicted serious diseases on Pharoah and his household because of Sarai. It wasn't their fault! lol

I have to say, I'm so excited about this study. I grew up in the church and knew all the stories of the bible, but after so many years have forgotten them. Now that DH and I are active in a church and our relationship with Christ, I'm finding all these stories I had long forgotten.

My Scentsy Website
Email Me!
November 7th, 2010, 09:24 PM
Mami's Avatar Christian Parent
2. Genesis 12:4 How old is Abram when he leaves Haran for Canaan? Compare Genesis 17:1 to 17:17 How old is Sarai compared to Abram?
Abram was 10 years younger than Sarai.

Thank you JMC1988 for the beautiful siggy!

November 7th, 2010, 10:52 PM
Question #3. Genesis 12:10-20 Do you think Abram could have handled this situation in a different way? Why did God protect and rescue Sarai?

Rick Warren

November 7th, 2010, 11:42 PM
She is 10 years younger than he was. He was 75 when they started and then God was telling him that they would have a child at 100/90 years of age.

Question #3. Genesis 12:10-20 Do you think Abram could have handled this situation in a different way? Why did God protect and rescue Sarai?
Abram could have gone in as an honest man and stood up for his wife and for his relationship with her before God and everyone else.
I think God protected Sarai because she was doing the "right" thing at that time by obeying her husband. I think God saw her as someone who had faith that she would be protected by following her husbands wishes and that she would also be someone who had faith in God's directions later.
November 8th, 2010, 08:29 AM

I believe that it was some fear on Abram's part or not fully trusting God. God had given him a promise that his decedent would be a great nation. God had not yet made the covenant with Abram, but he still had the promise.
Abram was afraid for his life if the Egyptian knew he was married to Saria. But then God's promise wouldn't be fulfilled if Abram was killed.

I would say being honest from the start would have been a better way. It seems he would have known he wouldn't die but live to have off spring. Maybe he thought he was helping God along in his plan.

I think we can look back and say that God protected Sarai because she was a part of God's master plan to create and bless the nation of Isreal and bless the whole world through them.
Mattiez
November 8th, 2010, 11:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Abram did this without asking God for a help. I think he was scared but also this seems selfish to me. I think God protected Sarai because it wasn't her fault she was just being obedient to her husband and did as he said.
November 8th, 2010, 03:20 PM
3. Genesis 12:10-20 Do you think Abram could have handled this situation in a different way? Why did God protect and rescue Sarai? I def think Abram could have handled it differently. God protected & rescues Sarai b/c He had made a covenant with Abram to bless (& protect) Abram.

Rick Warren

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search